Sportbike rider ages - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-19-2003, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

Sportbike rider ages

Anyone have any statistical evidence of who sportbike riders are by age? I've been having a "discussion" with a Harley rider and I made the statement, "Most sportbikes are puchased by kids", by which I meant those under the age of 22. Now I'm trying to figure out how to back that up.

Was I right in my assumption, or was it baseless?

EDIT: I suppose this poll tells me something, if I assume we have a simple random sample of the population here, but I'm not sure that's a good assumption.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun

Last edited by kanwisch; 11-19-2003 at 10:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-19-2003, 12:06 PM

kan: I was going to put on the old poll an update that went like this: well sort of only only copied & dropped it on to here with some modifications.

Man that poll started out in '01 & here it is almost the end of '03. Like Hammer said he was amazed the poll was still going along.

Interesting factor is 75% of the names are no longer on this board which tells one some might have stopped riding or are on different boards YET I am also on different boards & some of the names are simply not there either. Ages since start have gone up 1 to 2 yrs since the start of the poll.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-19-2003, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

That is pretty interesting. I've read a lot about ages and motorcycles today, and US studies show a significant increase in the number of over 40 riders out there. By prejudice, I'm leaning toward the opinion that they're mostly riding cruisers, and not sportbikes.

I did find a study in Australia that concluded, based on statistical data, that a majority of sportbike riders were "young", but I'm not sure if its valid to draw an inference about the US based on that or not. Since they have stricter licensing than we do, I'd actually suspect their data to be skewed toward the OLDER crowd, since more mature folks are likely to put up with the bureaucracy and kids aren't.

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-19-2003, 12:42 PM

My subjective response is that the largest percentage of sportbike riders are in their 20s, another significant percentage are in their 30s or late teens, and then the percentages shrink dramatically from the 40s on up in age.

I ride with a sportbike club here in Phoenix. The vast majority of the club is in their 20s and 30s. We have a couple of teenagers. And their are a few of us (me included) in our 40s and older.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 08:50 AM

This is quite subjective, but I'll throw in my anyway. While I and the guys I ride with are in our mid to late 30's, most of the guys I see riding are obviously in their late teens or early 20's. I don't see too many women on sportbikes around here unless they are on the back; the neighbor's 20yo and his GF, for instance. Although I did see one on a hot-pink CBR a couple of months ago, and she was in her 20's as well.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 10:26 AM

1: where is the pole you were talking about? I would cast a vote, and I would like to see where it stands. I guess I have misses it. I will look.

Here: I would estemate an even number of >40 and <40, the difference is All the <40 are on cruisers. I have to say myself that I plan to make the change over at around 35 - 40. Just because I would imagine my knees will make me. I don't have any illusions about keeping my eyes and reflexes forever either. I figure after retirement, cruiser for local and goldwing for cross country. If I make it to retirement. There are several of those that have made it pulling out in front of me. I will say this though. The numbers for <25 and 25><40 are pretty similar until you look at accidents. I can definatley see the riding maturity in the later group.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 10:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
Quote:
Originally posted by BikesRToyz
1: where is the pole you were talking about?
http://sbw.sportbikes.com/showthread...threadid=12400

When i voted on the pole i was in the "below 20" catagory. Now if i were to vote again i'd have to vote 21-30. Ah how time fly's.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 11:14 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Quote:
Originally posted by Tippmann
http://sbw.sportbikes.com/showthread...threadid=12400

When i voted on the pole i was in the "below 20" catagory. Now if i were to vote again i'd have to vote 21-30. Ah how time fly's.
Pretty soon your voice will start changing, you'll get hair in funny places, and maybe even start liking girls. ewww.....

I'd guess it'd be hard to get anything more specific than just "motorcycles" in anything. Maybe not though, any luck so far?

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally posted by BikesRToyz
1: where is the pole you were talking about?
Here.

EDIT: Oh, sorry, the poll is linked in my original post about it. What's linked here is the Australian study I found. So, sh, yeah, I got some info, but its not US-based, which would be ideal. And I actually find that incredibly surprising. What I really need is a marketing contact with one of the makers (H,Y,S,K); surely they know their target markets!

Last edited by kanwisch; 11-20-2003 at 11:18 AM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 10:23 PM

Lets consider the looks of a sportbike, and who they appeal to the most..They are race replica's for the most part, young people are usually atracted by race anything, be it cars, bikes..so they tend to select a race replica rather than a crusier, for the most part..all ya have to do is look at the sale figures..But, here where I live, you can go to the Rock Store, on any given Sat. morning, and see quit a few of us older riders on some slick sportbikes, everything from Aprilla RSV's to Duc 999's, gixxers, Honda's, Yam's and even a few Kawi's in there, they are usually modded for spirted riding...prolly a bunch of older X racers... with ground down knee pucks, ect..If you went by the #'s at the above mentioned hang out, I'd say that the over 40 crowd would likely be in the 20, to 30 % catagory...prolly closer to 20, but as a whole, I doubt, it would be even that high, as you get older, and depending on your situation, priority's become changed...usually $$$ is very high, along with family, and business...Most younger people, place Fun as a high priority..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode