I went down - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

I went down

Hey guys, my Sunday wasn't so fun as it sometimes is on my bike. I was riding Santiago Canyon Road at about 9:30, nothing fast, just a nice sunday morning ride. Making a left curve, all of a sudden in oncoming traffic, over 120 bicyclists are bunched up and taking WAY too much of the car traffic lane, and completely overcrowding the bike lane. Wow, awesome site in a way, a crapload of bicycles. Now 4 cars come, and the first one is practically in my lane! He is trying to go around the bicyclists on a God-damned curve. 20 year old in a raised Ford Ranger is taking at least 50% of my lane. All I could do to aviod a head-on collision was stop turning, so I did. 2 seconds later, I'm in a rock patch of a turnout, went down immediately after trying to ride rock at 45 mph. Bike is tore up on the left side, clutch lever tip broke off, twisted ankle, swollen knee, sore as hell. That is the extent of my injuries. I was extreemely lucky I wasn't killed, I came within 3 feet of that truck. There was absolutely nothing I could do, I doubt that situation could have been avioded by anyone. No one stopped wither, at least no one that was in oncoming trafic. I was completely pissed. Everyone said it was the bicyclists fault,EDIT: I waited for a cop, even tho I knew he couldn't do shit. He said it was the bicyclists fault.I then rode it to my bike shop, injured leg and all, with no damn clutch lever. I'll get some pics of my bike, looks kinda cool now (j/k).

No more rides on canyon road notorious for these bicylists.

At least I haven't gone to work for 2 days so far.

I consider myself lucky as hell, there were all kinds of hazards that I avoided during this fall that would have made things much worse. I even remembered a comment from another post that saved my life. Don't ride too close to a yellow lane on a blind curve, no where near close. I was in the right 1/3 of my lane, and still had to adjust for some ass.

Last edited by Elvis; 11-20-2003 at 11:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 12:16 PM

Phew! Man you got lucky as hell!
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 12:41 PM

Ouch. Glad you're ok.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 01:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
That sucks elvis. Too bad you're bike didn't slide across the lane and take out a few bicycles

But hey, now you got time to sit and home and play ghost recon right?

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 02:05 PM

Accident

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident, but glad to hear that you are ok. Best wishes for a quick recovery for yourself and the bike!
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 03:49 PM

Glad you're ok Elvis. The m/c can be fixed with less pain than you!
Speedy recovery!
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 04:05 PM

The Ironman of Canada is held in my main riding area & cyclists are practicing 15 miles north to my town & some 40 plus miles farther east/west from Spring & on. Lots of twisties & basically twisty, up & down 2-lane mtn roads. One is seeing them out practicing from Spring to the Ironman in August till some still keeping in shape well into September.

Not like the glob you came up against, but times I am coming down a series of the twisties to find several dozen of them (to one or possibly three) & often some passing SO it is simply slow down & CRAWL well behind them (in 1st or 2nd cog) & slowly work ones way pass a few without interferring in this glide down the hill.

So if bicycle racing is done on your roads then you must anticipate them on the straights, on the twisties & in the shadowed areas. Another part in the life of m/cists. Bicycle racing is a history well before m/cing & they are legal in their practicing & actual racing while m/cists must find their own circuits or dirt terrain ---- the same for cages.

Sorry you went down & bike was damaged, but here was something you did not anticipate though probably will from now on. Tough break.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 04:09 PM

The bummer of this is that it was a cage driver that forced you to the prang as he was on the wrong side of the road & in your lane.

Not much you can do as you do not have a license plate nor a witness.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 05:44 PM

Sorry to hear about the wreck Elvis. Hope you have a speedy recovery.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 05:47 PM

Glad you are ok, here's moping you heal quick and get the bike fixed.

James.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode