a newbie question! about tires - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2003, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

a newbie question! about tires

I have a 2001 F4i and now its time to put it up for winter, i need to get some new tires and put em on before spring. I think the rear tire is 180/55z/r17 and the front is 120/70z/r17. Im lookin for some tires that have a harder middle and softer edges, diablo's, m1's, theres so many, so help me out here plz lol.

Do i want to stay same size? or go bigger or what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2003, 05:36 PM

Re: a newbie question! about tires

Quote:
Originally posted by aparis99
I have a 2001 F4i and now its time to put it up for winter, i need to get some new tires and put em on before spring. I think the rear tire is 180/55z/r17 and the front is 120/70z/r17. Im lookin for some tires that have a harder middle and softer edges, diablo's, m1's, theres so many, so help me out here plz lol.

You might want to look at the Bridgestone BT010's they have a harder compound in the middle for better wear, and softer on the edges for good cornering...The Diablos are great tires too, but are more $$$ than the BT010's...Ya can't go wrong with either tire imho...

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 03:53 AM
Strength and Honor

I'd recommend waiting until near the end of winter to get them changed. What's the point of putting on new tires to have them sit around on your bike? Hold the cash, and get them done when you're ready to go; who knows, maybe some new models that will peak your interest will show up, or you'll learn some new things between now and then.

Or worst, maybe you'll have to sell your bike for funds

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 06:11 AM

Re: a newbie question! about tires

Quote:
Originally posted by aparis99

Size is the easy question: STAY STOCK.

There is absolutely no reason to go bigger. The 180s will turn quicker and feel better doing it.

The "Which Tire" question is a little more difficult...

The general rules are: The sportier/stickier the rubber, the faster it will wear out. Race tires *do* provide more grip, but only when hot and they lose their heat faster than a road tire. The more road~biased the tire, the better it will handle commuting and crap weather. The more aggressive the tire, the quicker-turning it's profile tends to be.

Let's look at some choices:

Sport-Touring tires (commuting, medium~quick road)

Bridgestone BT-020
Michelin Pilot Road
Metzeler MEz 3&4
Metzeler Roadtec Z6 (new...)
Dunlop D220
Pirelli Dragon GTS

Sport Tires (medium/fast road use...):

Bridgestone BT-012 and 010
Dunlop D208
Pirelli Diablo
Metzeler Sportec M1
Michelin Pilot Sport

SuperSport tires (Fast Road/trackday)

Bridgestone BT-012SS
Dunlop D207 and D208 RR
Metzeler Rennsport Street
Pirelli Diablo Corsa

HyperSport - (Trackday usage only, really. Most have "Soft" and "Hard" compounds...)

Bridgestone BT-001
Dunlop D207GP
Metzeler Rennsport Race
Michelin Pilot Race (H2)
Pirelli Dragon Supercorsa

What are your riding habits??? If you commute and/or ride mixed, standouts include the Pilot Road and BT-020. I can attest that you can ride a set of BT-020s hard enough to scrape your pegs. Figure 8~10K miles from a set of this type. Mileage falls off from there kinda quickly.

I got around 5K miles a set from BT-010s, and the M1 Sportecs I have now look like they'll last mid 3K~4K. The Diablos are supposed to be a slightly stiffer constriction than the M1s, so they should last a little longer (in theory...).

Going more aggressive yet, SuperSport tires seem to average around 2~3K/set.

The key is that you are honest with yourself about your abilities and riding style. Even Sport-Touring tires are capable of going stupidly fast on the street, especially if you're a smooth and accurate rider. And yet more than a few kids still manage to crash on track rubber and then (of course...) continue to buy the stickiest things they can find 'cause they "Outride Their Tires" all the time...

Scott
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 10:17 AM

i have michinl piolt sport on the rear and 208 on the front im getting all kinds of miles outta the rear but i have 900 on the front and the sides are on the wear bar next im going with michilen piolt front and rear
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 10:34 AM

I have ran several different tires.
Right now I am on the michelin pilots also. I have about 4k on them. The front is good but the back looks like it may only get another 1k or so out of it. But they are technically a wet tire, alot of silica and are supposed to wear quick. They aren't doing to bad in my opinion. They are also getting all kinds of grip. I like them as well or better than the Dunlop D208, and I deffinatley like them better than the bridgestone (any). They sold me I am gonna get another set.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 06:56 AM

Cool Useful Topic

Cheers Guys,

This thread has helped me understand all those tyre types a lot better.

My rear wheel is being re-shod as I write this due to another nail

My CBR600fx has Dunlop D207's on at the moment, which I beleave have done 4700 miles (only 2800 with me on). The bike shop tell me that for commuting I should use BT020's as they'll last longer. They're fitting a D208 on the, which they tell me will be fine with the D207 front.

Can anyone here tell me if it's the BT020's that have a harder centre and softer edges for longer life while commuting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode