just changed my oil, now i hear noise. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

just changed my oil, now i hear noise.

allrighty today i changed my oil, i am running Motul 5100 ester 10w40 and o cranked it up no sound then as soon as the engine warmed up a little i start to hear what sounds like valve slap like a knock...my bike is at 15740 miles so it needs to go in for its 16000 mile valve adjustment....its that why its knocking or did i buy a P.O.S.? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 05:49 PM

I think ya bought a POS... Jk...

Could be the valves..but if there wasn't any noise before you changed the oil...it could be something else..???? can you tell where the noise is coming from..?

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

you had me worried there when i read the first line

but yeah it sounds like its comming from the top of the motor like where the plugs are...its definately not anything with the tranny or crank.....i got my grandpa's outboard mechanis who used to work on cars listen to it just to see what he though..(i know he never worked on bikes)...and he said that it sounded like the valve or valves....he also said he did the same thing with his truck though that after he switched to a syn oil he had a knocking vavle. could it be that since syn oil molecules are smaller and more of them as compared to dino oil it made the vavle the needed to be adjusted more noticable? i also checked my oil level and it is fine...i looked and there are no leaks either.
plus i found that the Motul oil smells like food..yes that does sound crazy i know

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 06:16 PM

The motul smells like synthetic castor oil?

Anyway, it's most likely valve lash, and you hear it b/c the new oil is thinner than the old.

It probably lubricates just as well, but the cams are hitting the shims (or buckets or whatever) just a little harder.

I'd ride it for a few hundred or a thousand miles and then change it to a heavier weight.

Your mileage may vary.

cdma2k
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by cdma2000
The motul smells like synthetic castor oil?

cdma2k
i never came in contact with that compound but it almost has a syrup smell to it....put it this way if i were in the breakfast buffet at shoney's and it was there next to the maple syrup...i would have Motul hot cakes

you think getting my valves adjusted (b/c honda service manual says they need to be at 16000 miles my bike has 15700) the mechanic would fix this noice problem?

thanks
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 06:39 PM

I've been runing Motul 5100 for a couple of years...I recall when I switched to the Motul on my 600 gix, it made a bit more noise, I had a tad over 13k on it, so I took it in for a service, including a valve adjustment...the noise went away....I don't think you need to switch to a heavier oil...just have it serviced..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 06:41 PM

heck, do it yourself.

Go to the local Autoparts or Craftsman store and get the feeler gauge. If you have to remove the cams to replace shims, get a torque wrench and plastigauge (I know many people skip this part, up to you).

cdma2k
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the advice....yeah i have the feeler gauge and torque wrech allready and the service manual is comming in.....but i dont know if i trust my self yet with something that important....i got a shop to estimate how much it would cost..with having the plastics off allready he said 200 t0 250 just in labor ..okay it could be worse i over exadgerate.....but when my manual comes in i will see how dificult it is and if i feel i can do it with out killing my engine i will try to do it.

whats a plasti gauge? and what part people skip?

thanks
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

i been browsing around the net finding info on valve adjustments and it looks as if i could do it myself....i just have to get all the torque setting info on the nuts and bolts.....i am just waiting on my darn service manual to come in now
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 08:53 PM

plastigauge is thin peice of soft plastic you put between plain bearings and the part (think your cam journal bearings). It's supposed to measure the clearances in the bearing: you torque down the part, take it back off, and measure how much the plastigauge smeared. Many people skip this step, probably thinking that if it's out of spec, they'd rather not know.

cdma2k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode