Wake up call - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
Wake up call

I'd just like to throw this out there. I was riding today on a stretch of back roads that I haven't been on in a while. It was a nice warm day, no traffic, and a clean looking road. I was coming around a nice turn and all of the sudden I lost my back end. Instinct made me put my foot down, which jammed my knee, foot and hip pretty hard. But the bike came back up. I don't know if it was the foot or not, but the bike went from sliding out, to upright.

When I turned around to see what I hit, I couldn't find anything. No gravel, no sand, no visible oil. Then for some reason I drug my feet on the ground. And tiny little flakes of what Iím going to assume was gravel started kicking up. I got off the bike and looked. For some reason all these little pieces of black gravel were semi embedded into the blacktop, and it didn't take much to kick them up.

Moral of the story, it scarred the shit outta me the think that something I couldn't see almost put me down, but it also built my confidence. I didn't panic, maybe i didn't have time to, and I got the bike back up. But now i realize first hand that anything can happen out there. Be careful.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler

Last edited by Tippmann; 11-03-2003 at 06:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 07:41 PM

My friend was taking a turn on some twisties he always goes on, except this time his back tire started sliding out, he over-corrected and crashed, recieving a concussion, two broken wrists, and a broken colar bone. He had been on that turn many times befor that and at that same speed. He has no idea why he crashed. Even if a turn is safe one day, it could change the next... i'll save my high speed-knee-down riding for the track (when i can afford leathers and the track fee). Crashing sucks.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Triumph_S4
My friend was taking a turn on some twisties he always goes on, except this time his back tire started sliding out, he over-corrected and crashed, recieving a concussion, two broken wrists, and a broken colar bone. He had been on that turn many times befor that and at that same speed. He has no idea why he crashed. Even if a turn is safe one day, it could change the next... i'll save my high speed-knee-down riding for the track (when i can afford leathers and the track fee). Crashing sucks.
Sometimes, having the rear step out can be caused from steering corections that you may not realize your making...on a track it's prolly no big deal, but on streets/roads..and little bit of debris, old oil ect..can start ya sliding...just to much of the unknown..imho..

Triumph...it's Very refreshing to see someone with a Level head on his/her shoulders...I hope you get those leathers very soon..and maybe we'll see ya at the track...

Oh, and for you guys that say going 8/10ths or whatever on the street is o.k....I've been there, done that...sooner or later, your luck is gonna run out...

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 08:31 AM

Reading your post reminded me of a specific corner about two weeks ago. It is a right hander that sweeps gently, but is blind and rough pavement, my comfort level in that turn was around the 70 MPH rang with good weather. Well as I came around it that day I found out very suddenly there was loose hay on the road, after kicking up I ended up washing all the way to the far edge of the pavement, I don't think I've take that turn above 50 mph since. I hope the tingling went away quick, mine lasted a good day in my right knee, and my right ankle hurt for several days.

James.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 09:22 AM

Your bike has enough power to break the back end loose in a turn even on clean pavement. What prevents that from happening is throttle control. You must roll on smoothly as you exit a turn. Lee Parks (Total Control) and Nick Ienatsch (Sport Riding Techniques) each devote an entire chapter to the throttle. Get either book and do the throttle drills.

On the MotoGP broadcast last Sunday, they had a "throttle cam" pointed directly at Valentino Rossi's right hand. His roll-on was textbook perfect--smooth, gradual, and continuous. Mastery of skills like that doesn't come naturally. It takes lots of practice.

Next time you find the back end getting loose (and it will, even with perfect throttle control), don't panic. A motorcycle corrects small rear-end slides naturally. The best thing you can do is stay on the gas, keep a loose grip on the bars, and look where you want to go. And don't put your foot down. It's a natural reaction for a dirt rider, but pavement ain't dirt and you can get seriously hurt.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 09:59 AM

Also the time of year for leaves on the road. Dan, that throttle cam was way neat. I have to say I was a little supprised that Rossi 4 fingered the brakes. I guess he knows what he's doing though, huh. Cool to see at that angle how close his hand was to the track. Just wild.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 11:10 AM

Quote:
MIDLIFE CRISIS wrote: Dan, that throttle cam was way neat. I have to say I was a little supprised that Rossi 4 fingered the brakes. I guess he knows what he's doing though, huh.
Yeah, the 4-fingered braking surpised me too. But he didn't appear to blip the throttle, so maybe leaving those other 2 fingers on the throttle wouldn't serve any purpose, and they can be more usefully employed for finer brake control. I kinda wonder if that's a holdover from his 2-stroke days on 125s, 250s, and 500s.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 01:08 PM

Tipp that would have given me a fairly good feeling that I was at the point of going down. So something loose IN the pavement ------ not to my liking.

Dan is right about the throttle control & I have to admit with so much dirt comp I tend to correct with a dab to the pavement & that will mess up the ankle & pull one almost off the bike.

Still good warning for fellow riders & at this time of year for many of us to be REMEMBERED when we start to ride come early Spring with all the sand/gravel/salt on the roads for the cage drivers.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
I don't know if my dirt riding has helped me or hurt me on this one. I stayed off the ground, but who's to say i wouldn't have anyway? And my whole leg still hurts pretty bad.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 04:36 PM

I did the same thing awhile back and my reaction was the same as yours, out came the foot! Don't know what caused me to slide. I didn't go down, but it got the old blood going.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode