oil change time - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

oil change time

well its time to change the oil....i am gonna put a Hodna OEM filter and run Mobil 1 full sythetic...the one that comes in the grey bottle b/c i get the hookup on that at the local parts store....also are they certain torques i must abide by when retightening the drain plug and filter.....also i wanted to get a rear stand for my bike.....what do you think about Mobil 1? and where can i find a decent stand for cheap? thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 08:03 PM

Re: oil change time

Quote:
Originally posted by AudioSolstice
well its time to change the oil....i am gonna put a Hodna OEM filter and run Mobil 1 full sythetic...the one that comes in the grey bottle b/c i get the hookup on that at the local parts store....also are they certain torques i must abide by when retightening the drain plug and filter.....also i wanted to get a rear stand for my bike.....what do you think about Mobil 1? and where can i find a decent stand for cheap? thanks for the help
All bikes have tourqe specs for drain plugs, and every nut and bolt on the bike...do not over tighten..

I know a ton of riders that use Mobile 1...so your good to go..As for a rear stand...you can snag a handy stand for under 50.00..sorry, I don't have a link...personally, I like the Graves rear stand, it's a tad spendy, but very easy to use, and it's a quality stand..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

thanks hammer.....i wanted to specify that the Mobil 1 oil i was talking about was the full synthetic for cars...not the MX4T for bikes....would that be allright?..and that what type of torque wrench is recommended b/c i have a 3/8 drive torque wrench the kind you adjust with the numbers on the shaft and it clicks....made by snap-on tools

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 08:44 PM

Handy Industries

Handy industries sells a package of front and back for 99 bux plus shipping. Great deal!

They work great too. I just got mine!
Just search for them. Not too sure on the addy. Handy stands.

Your owner manual aught to have the tork specs. Least mine does!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AudioSolstice
thanks hammer.....i wanted to specify that the Mobil 1 oil i was talking about was the full synthetic for cars...not the MX4T for bikes....would that be allright?..and that what type of torque wrench is recommended b/c i have a 3/8 drive torque wrench the kind you adjust with the numbers on the shaft and it clicks....made by snap-on tools
Haha..I should be so lucky to have a Snap-on...I have the craftsman...so what you have is more than Good..

As for the oil, I don't recall if that has anit friction agents in it or not, but supposedly, those agents can cause your clutch to slip...personally, I spring for oil made especially for bikes..Motul synth...cost's more...but it works great...also, you only need to change oil every 3 thousand miles, anything sooner is a waste of $$$$$....Maybe someone else has some insight on the Mobil 1 usage...

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

thanks a appreciate all the help....i will probally run the Motul ful syn b/c thats what they sell at the local honda shop....and yep i would say 75% of all my tools are snap on.....i asked b/c some one said somewhere that those clicking torque wrenches will put too much torque down...i didnt want to break anything...

btw i have no owners manual but a pretty sticker on the frame that tells me what octane, oil type, plugs, etc

but does anyone know how many quarts my bike takes?

thanks alot
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 03:37 AM
Strength and Honor

Anything that has the starburst on it has the friction modifiers (extensive online research reveals that). And, yes, those types are often reported to cause a slipping clutch, so beware of using those.

This kinda question pulls in something of a flame war, since there are riders out there using the friction modifiers w/o trouble. I'm betting that they can get away with it because their clutches are essentially in brand-new condition, and so the friction alteration isn't great enough to cause slipping.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 07:38 AM

Just to be on the safe side, I run Honda GN4 in the 929. What the manual called for, so that's what I use. Unless I'm out in the middle of nowhere and low on oil, then I had to use some Castrol. But mainly GN4.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 08:07 AM
Dad

Quote:
Originally posted by thompsonian
Just to be on the safe side, I run Honda GN4 in the 929. What the manual called for, so that's what I use. Unless I'm out in the middle of nowhere and low on oil, then I had to use some Castrol. But mainly GN4.
Funny you post that. Synthetics have advantages at extremes and are less vulnerable to contaminants in short run vehicles but frequent changes, 3,000 miles or 3 months, will afford very good service life on regular oil. GN-4 Honda oil is what's been run in my bike for 90,000 miles and it still runs like new. In the seventies, I put 143,000 on an air cooled 750 running nothing but Castrol GTX. That engine still ran OK.

I tried Honda's synthetic in my current bike around 50,000 miles and did have clutch slip problems so I changed the clutch and went back to GN-4. I have the same concern about GTX, using the friction modifiers, so haven't run it, just stayed with Honda's oil.

BTW, my current bike turned 89,000 while on the track and the older 750 was drag raced. Point being, they get run, not just putted around. They get good maintenance and get fully warmed up before to run hard, but they see red line with some frequency.

While there's certainly nothing wrong with synthetics, I'm not sure the extra expense is really worth it. Spend the difference on brake fluid changes and other maintenance items often overlooked.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

yeah i will probabalyl run GN4 non syn and chnage every 2000 miles.....i dont want clutch problems

i also just bought a service manual so that should help me out with everything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode