Big bike then small bike. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Big bike then small bike.

Anyone else here have two bikes where one is larger than the other? Like a ZX 12R and a 6R?

I've got a Daytona 955 and a GSX-R750. Whenever I ride the Daytona for a few days and then switch back to the 750, it feels like a friggin toy. Anybody else get this feeling, too? I swear that everytime I switch from larger to smaller, my riding improves - not highspeed stuff, just around town. It must be something to do with really having to overemphasize everything on the bigger bike.

Just a thought from my head.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 02:09 PM

I would imagine the weight difference would have a big factor in the way the two different bikes feel.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 04:13 PM

Weight is not a factor in my case for my Yamaha 600r is 38 lbs heavier them my Honda 929. I notice the difference & feel it is in the shorter wheel base of the 600 along with it being a more flexible engine in town then the 929. Said 600r is the bike I will start to ride in the spring with all the sand/gravel/salt around & the bike I high the back roads to actual gravel roads with for it does not have the maze of power of the 929 & so less chance of loosing it.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 08:11 PM
DAZ

Feel the same way going from my 929 to the 600RR. The 600 just feels so freaking light but is suppose to be the same weight as the 929 if not heavier.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 03:22 AM

Try going from a fz1000 to a rd350lc racebike, did this yrs ago at Daytona.
The 1000 was a pig and the 350 was a feather weight but was harder to ride but wayy more fun when you did a perfect lap.

I`am a big fan of the smaller bikes as the skill level to ride them fast is much harder and thus you learn more about lines,ect.

for the uninformed>

http://www.rd350lc.net
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 06:05 AM

I think I may take the cake on such changes, I often swap from ether my 88 bmw r100rt, or my 81 kz1000 to my cbr600, it is a pretty extreme change. To me the most dangerous aspect of such changes is that I will find myself doing things like useing the same amount of pressure on the rear brake for trail braking resulting in an instant lock up as the BMW has a weak drum rear brake, and the cbr a strong disc added to a large differance in weight. Also I will jump off onto a gravel road at too brisk of a speed on the cbr as the bmw has wide bars and handles gravel and dirt well. I also believe that it will improve your riding skills to swap up on a regular basis.

James.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 07:37 AM

James: What you say about mixing it up happened to me some yrs ago. I had my Yamaha '87 TZR-250 with its fantastic stopping power, but also had an '85 Yamaha FZ-750 I hoped to sell (it was just to outdated) & stopping power was lousy due to the small disc brakes even though I had braided SS f/brake lines.

Suddenly came an in city situation of emergency stopping & for a second I felt I was riding the FZ-750 so extra pressure from my two fingers to the front brake lever ------ f/wheel stops instantly while rear end comes up & I go off the bike FOR I was riding the TZR-250. Obviously while concentrating on the traffic & road I lapsed in memory of what I was riding as in town riding is at slow speeds as we all know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode