Pull down helmets - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Pull down helmets

i was wondering if anyone could shed some light for me about the pull down helmets. i hate to make this connection but like the one in biker boys lawrence fisborne wears. my dad recetnly bought him a cruiser and thats the type he wants. he was looking at the Zeus line but a salesman at a local shop told him they suck the the "pullman' type are better.....is this true? and are they others he should consider? i told him a snell apporved full face and not to spend less than 250 but he wants to go the cheap route
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 12:23 PM

Sorry but my ignorance on what a "pull down" helmet is. To me from old "puddin' basin" Cromwell helmets from the 40s to the 50s are "pulled down" onto the head.
I use to use all forms of what most call an "open face" helmet like Bell & Buco turned out & we called "jet style" as lst with some protection of the helmet arond the ears & further to the lower part of the scull. Now & for many yrs a full face Shoei when on the road.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 12:36 PM

Are you talking about the type that the whole chinbar and shield go up...like the BMW guys wear? (see the back cover of the Nov issue of Motorcyclist...in the Guzzi ad)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

yes thats the kind i am talking about heres a pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg zeus_508_group_all4.jpeg (50.4 KB, 86 views)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 04:08 PM

Okay now I see. These are always popular to so many beginners & they are avaliable in North America. Also popular over in Europe & especially police. Still they are not with DOT or Snell approval. Must admit I tend stick with my Shoei helmets so cannot make any more of a comment then above.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 08:23 AM

I refer to what you are talking about as trap face helmets, but there are a few other names as well. Most of the BMW guys you see wearing one have a Schuberth Concept helemet. http://www.touringsportbmw.com/acc/acc_index.html It's a good helmet and DOT approved, but I still opt for a true full face. My brother has a Schuberth Concept and likes it, but I'd rather have a solid chin gaurd myself.

James.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 08:28 AM

I have a zues model like you mentioned. I got it with my bike, however I can't say I have worn it for more than about 5 min. It seems like a decent helmet though, I just prefer the standard full face models. They seem like they would hold up better in the event of a situation.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 09:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to DocThee Send a message via Yahoo to DocThee
Quote:
Originally posted by bridomine99
I have a zues model like you mentioned. I got it with my bike, however I can't say I have worn it for more than about 5 min. It seems like a decent helmet though, I just prefer the standard full face models. They seem like they would hold up better in the event of a situation.
It is all about protection. They may be convenient and DOT/Snell approved but when/if a situation happened I would rely on my full face helmet for more protection. I would be worried that the hinged piece would fly off. For us sportbike riders with the speed and acceleration you would think you would want all the protection you can get. How many of those helmets do you see in any of the races?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keep the ride on...

AIM and Yahoo! - DocThee

"Anything can be a medicine or a poison."

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Seperabit
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

i see none...and youre point is a good one...but my dad insisnt on getting a flip up...btw he rides a v-star 1100
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 12:56 PM

I agree that your Dad will probably be very pleased with a flip-up helmet & believe me it is FAR safer then open face or 1/2 helmets that many Cruiser people wear & we will not even compare the beanie thing so many Hardley riders might use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode