Riding in the rain? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2003, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 645
Question Riding in the rain?

I'm new to riding.... actually to be honest I havent' even bought my first bike yet... but as the subject line says my question is about riding in the rain... I'm in the Air Force and expecting orders to Europe ... unfortunatly I can't take my truck... The Air Force won't allow me to ship a vehicle (due to my rank) but the cool thing is they don't consider a bike a vehicle All the better for me I guess.... anyways I've come to the realization that I'll have to do some riding in the rain.... I know that it gets extreemly dangerous for a bike when it rains but it's something I'm gonna have to do untill I can afford a little beater european cage.... I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to what to watch out for or some tips to make it a little less nerve racking? I was also wondering if there are any tires that are designed for wetter (if that's a word) weather? if so are they really any better? Oh... I'm looking at a Zx6R (a friends bike) if that makes any diffrence in the tire..


Thanks in advance for any help...
Ebbs15 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2003, 04:25 PM
Moderator
 
Hammer 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Torrance,CA. USA 90504
Posts: 3,059
Re: Riding in the rain?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ebbs15
I'm new to riding.... actually to be honest I havent' even bought my first bike yet... but as the subject line says my question is about riding in the rain... I'm in the Air Force and expecting orders to Europe ... unfortunatly I can't take my truck... The Air Force won't allow me to ship a vehicle (due to my rank) but the cool thing is they don't consider a bike a vehicle All the better for me I guess.... anyways I've come to the realization that I'll have to do some riding in the rain.... I know that it gets extreemly dangerous for a bike when it rains but it's something I'm gonna have to do untill I can afford a little beater european cage.... I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to what to watch out for or some tips to make it a little less nerve racking? I was also wondering if there are any tires that are designed for wetter (if that's a word) weather? if so are they really any better? Oh... I'm looking at a Zx6R (a friends bike) if that makes any diffrence in the tire..


Thanks in advance for any help...
before making any recomendations ..we would need to know how much street riding experience you have..?

Let's assume you've been riding for at least a year on the street..the first thing is to stay very relaxed in the wet( rain)...any sudden input on the bars can put ya on your head real fast...Brake EARLY, and smoothly, same with getting on the gas..
Re: tires...you want a tire with lots of silca in the compound, like the Michellin Pilot Sports, they also have a good tread pattern for sheeding water...and follow the tire makers recomended air pressure..Riding in the wet takes some getting use to, so if possible, practice in a area that doesn't have a lot of traffic..

If, on the other hand, your a new/newer rider...I'd suggest a bike other than a 600 sportbike...

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
Hammer 4 is offline  
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2003, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 645
Quote:
before making any recomendations ..we would need to know how much street riding experience you have..?
Sorry about that... I've ridden my friends zx6r (the one I'm looking at buying) for the last couple months... six to be exact....(he's in the desert and is letting me barrow it.) other than that I have no other experience... I'm only riding to and from work and on back road to get used to it...( I have my motorcycle indorcement but haven't taken the safty course yet)...I'm taking it very easy I'm not intrested in doing any wheelie's yet... intentional anyways I know that the Zx6R is a big bike for a new rider but I really can't pass up the deal... It's a 01 with 1500 miles on it.. he bought it for his wife and she won't go near it so I've actually been the one putting on those miles.. anyways he's asking 1500... he owe's me some money so he's just wanting enough to pay it off!!!

Thanks for the reply though
Ebbs15 is offline  
 
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-02-2003, 08:43 PM
Moderator
 
Hammer 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Torrance,CA. USA 90504
Posts: 3,059
Quote:
Originally posted by Ebbs15
Sorry about that... I've ridden my friends zx6r (the one I'm looking at buying) for the last couple months... six to be exact....(he's in the desert and is letting me barrow it.) other than that I have no other experience... I'm only riding to and from work and on back road to get used to it...( I have my motorcycle indorcement but haven't taken the safty course yet)...I'm taking it very easy I'm not intrested in doing any wheelie's yet... intentional anyways I know that the Zx6R is a big bike for a new rider but I really can't pass up the deal... It's a 01 with 1500 miles on it.. he bought it for his wife and she won't go near it so I've actually been the one putting on those miles.. anyways he's asking 1500... he owe's me some money so he's just wanting enough to pay it off!!!

Thanks for the reply though
Well, if do nothing else....at least take the MSF course, you'll learn a ton from it...

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
Hammer 4 is offline  
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 04:23 AM
Registered User
 
Tippmann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 5,373
Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
Don't make any sudden moves in the rain. Stay off the painted lines, and realize that you're just trying to get from point A to point B in one piece. Make sure to give the car ahead of you pleanty of extra room so if he stops, you can come to a gradual stop, and so can the car behind you. Just be mindful that there is oil all over the road, and bikes don't handle too well in it.
And buy some rain gear.

I've got caught in thunder storms dozens of times. Other than the fact that you're all wet, it's really not that bad.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
Tippmann is offline  
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 06:11 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 9
great advice guys, i'd also like to add that when the rain firsts starts hitting the pavement its VERY slick, steer clear of the center of a lane, and keep your helmet ventilated open your vents or crack your visor i know down here mine fogs up real quick

other than that dont do this http://www.sportbikerider.us/index.c...cture_ID=50820
RickNasty PBR is offline  
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 06:36 AM
jbg
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 16
Ride in the tire track of the car in front of you. The car tire moves some of the water out of the way....and slow down...ie don't ride fast...watch out for the "wake" from other cars and trucks (if you know its coming it is not much of a surpise)...
jbg is offline  
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 07:31 AM
jrm
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 517
Holy Crap!

If you don't buy it for $1500, I will!

Riding in the rain is just like anything else in the rain--there is less traction, you have to be smoother to stay hooked up and you have to ride more conservatively. Certainly can be done.

Buy that bike regardless of whether you want it or not. If you get it shipped over to Europe (for free?), you could always sell it and make a killing!

Otherwise, send me an email and I will do it!
jrm is offline  
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 07:32 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 6,400
Good tips up above & all of them are so important. You are going to have to slow down your regular pace & not bank the bends in the same manner as when the roads are dry. Let the cages go by you & above all drop farther back of tall cages like trucks, vans & SUVs till you are behind a low car doing your pace. Remember not only smooth appliance of the brakes, but their gripping is not as good.

Anyother important factor is to have a scratch free helmet visor that has been waxed/polished & in that way one can roll head to left & right to roll off part of the rain & road crap. Yet one should be carrying some clean cotten cloths & some plastic protective so they can stop & clean up the visor to continue on.

Just that I shudder on someone new to riding doing it on a sportbike for that is close to three strikes against you.
Smitty is offline  
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 07:59 AM
S370HSSV 0773H
 
spicersh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Terrible Hole, IN
Posts: 7,437
Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Anyother important factor is to have a scratch free helmet visor that has been waxed/polished & in that way one can roll head to left & right to roll off part of the rain & road crap. Yet one should be carrying some clean cotten cloths & some plastic protective so they can stop & clean up the visor to continue on.
I would say the biggest annoyance to riding in the rain for me is keeping my visor clean. The rain itself isn't bad and just rolled off. It's all the mist/spray from other vehicles that just sticks to the visor, turning your field of vision into bathroon glass. Just don't panic, and as Smitty says, keep something handy to wipe off/clean with. Otherwise, the advice above is all good.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
spicersh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome