Article on Kentucky's no helmet law - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2003, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Article on Kentucky's no helmet law

There was an interesting article in the Louisville Courier Journal today regarding KY's repeal of the helmet law in '98. Is it going to change anyone's mind? Doubtful.

Anyway, go here if you'd like to read it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2003, 10:11 PM

When suddenly all goes wrong & you wake up knowing something has gone wrong & sometimes wondering where you are. There is the m/c on its side, your hand tells you the engine is cold & same hand tells you the header pipe is cold ------ then you know you have been out for a while.

Examine the helmet to note it is badly damaged & that could be your head. Tends to make one think.

You are about to pick up your downed & gain a cold engine m/c & cannot even figure what day it is or where you are till you recognize something that links you with said area. Take a look at the helmet & realize it was totalled & again it could have been your head.

Still how many people riding without a helmet get that or other chances I have received thanks to crash helmets saving my life? Still it has happened to me many times in the past.

The above is relate to dirt riding incidents when practicing for comp., or possibly when just riding in the dirt & yes I have also found I was with broken limbs or bones. Tack on a few accidents on the pavement in town & on the hwy.

We are riding m/cs that are lighter then many of the bikes of the past, with far, far more horse-power, are moving at speeds well beyond even the better riders in the late 40s or 50s AND there are far more cages out there then in the past so our chances of surviving, without protection, are not as good. For in late 40s & early 50s I rode with no helmet, & just casual clothing on large m/cs of 750cc, 500cc to 1000cc & we are talking about 25hp to a 750cc flat head V-twin Harley, 32hp on most 500cc singles to vertical twins & 50hp to V-twin Vincent HRD. Something to think about I feel.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-31-2003, 09:18 AM

? Why does the federal law require everyone to wear seatbelts in a Car/Truck. Doesn't a seatbelt in a car related to a m/c as a helmet?

I did this one summer I got out on my dirt bike for a quick ride and I did not wear my helmet. I will never do that again. I was going at speeds on a dirt road suited for my bike. However as I was coming back, (not I did not know this road well) a sharp turn came up that I forgot about. I was coming into the turn to fast. I knew if I locked my breaks it would be all over, I slowed as much as I could, went in to the turn high to go low, but I stayed high. I remember what is preached here. Look where you want to go not where you are going. If I would of look where I was going I would of been in the tuliweeds. I used the hole road for this turn. Lucky I pulled out of this turn, because of some of the things that I have read on here on how to handle a sport bike, and I have practice some of those things on the dirt bike. And they work there to. Now after I got out of that turn, I look back on it, I Felt I could of handled the situation a lot better and came around the turn a lot better. But I think one of the reasons why I did not handle it as good as I feel I should of was because I did not have my helmet on, and probably subconsciously was more nervous about it then if I would of had my helmet on.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-31-2003, 01:08 PM

EdgeRider: Even in dirt we can do a lot of damage to a helmet. I rode a lot of Observed Trials & laid out a number of good sections, but had to prove that they could be completed even with a 5 point loss which tells you some were imposible to clean. Being a good Trials rider then I had to scratch off the impossible.

Still in one very steep series of rocks the bike & I went over backwards FAR to fast & knew I smacked the back of my head. Looked at the helmet & my God, but a sharp piece of rock had actually punched a hole 1/2 way through a Bell Trials helmet. If it had been my head I would have never gotten up & died right there on the spot.

Of interest this section was an easy one to clean & by accident a bit to much throttle & weight a bit to far back at the slow speeds we tackle section & believe this was 3rd gear, so a bit above a light jogging pace, to the more interesting part
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-31-2003, 02:33 PM

Ah, the ol' "helmet law" debate...

I believe Darwin had a theory about this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode