Chainwax or Not??? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Question Chainwax or Not???

Ok,

I'm cleaning up my SV to get it ready to sell, and the rear wheel is NASTY. I'm wondering if chain lube is really worth all the extra hassle to clean up. PJ1 says "Won't fly off!!" What a load, That crap gets all over the rear wheel and swingarm, and soap just won't take it off.

How many of you guys use chain lube and how many just clean it regularly and let it go at that?

Give me your opinions and what you use.

Later,
Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 06:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
just clean it regularly and spray some wd-40 on it. Chain wax gunks the hell out of everything. It's not worth the hassle.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 08:45 PM

Do you saturate the r/chain with PJ-1 or put it on in a limited fashion AND do you do it when the chain is HOT & allow it some time to soak in OR do you spread it all over when chain is cold & then take off riding? One puts it on when the chain is HOT & only in a limited amount then let it soak in for 30 minutes or more. I usually do it when I know the chain should be treated & just as I have arrived home.

I have PJ-1 grip like a charm. There is always a minor bit that will throw, but it takes a season before I need to do any cleaning up AND for that I use Simple Green in the manner it should be used.

To use Simply Green you decide on each part of the bike & do it completely then go on to the other. One does not hit it all over with Simple Green & then start to was it down.
Wet the area (for instance the rear sprocket & wheel) with water then apply Simply Green now stand back & give it a few minutes & hit it with water again for then 75 to 100% of the crap will be removed. If not good enought hit it with Simple Green again, for last used was water, wait another 2 minutes & use the hose on it & it should be clean. Now go on to another part & do the same.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 12:03 AM
Dad

Honda Cleaner and Polish will take it right off the wheels and other parts of the bike and leave a protective film as well. Wash the bike first to remove loose grit, dry it, then spray the Honda Cleaner sparingly and wipe down with a soft paper towel. That works well for the wheels, swingarm, and body parts.

For the chain itself and if you have a stand, before you wash it, you can start it up, put it in gear and either spray WD-40, or cheaper, kerosene on the chain only. Let it soak in and throw off the crap. With the engine off and out of gear (for safety), you can use your wife's toothbrush to loosen the crap, start it up again and re-apply the solvent to throw off the loosened stuff. This is messy so either do it in a place where the stains don't matter OR wet the area under the bike with water so the stuff will rinse down without penetrating and staining. Several ideas, use at your own risk. Good luck.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 02:08 AM

I use WD-40 as a cleaner to remove the thrown PJ-1 from the wheels, swingarm, countersprocket. (I use turpentine or naptha for the chain cleaning.) I spray on the WD-40, and wipe off with a few paper towels.

HTH,

cdma2k
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 06:08 AM

Try PJ1 Blue Label

First I try to do my chain maintenance after a ride while the chain is still warm. I prop the rear end up on a stand and use a WD40 soaked rag to wipe the dirt off. I then use PJ1 Blue Label to lube the chain while holding cardboard (a piece of a 12 pack case works nice) to shield from overspray. I them use a rag to wipe of excess lube from teh chain. Best then to let the bike sit a while before riding far to allow the lube to set up. I have found PJ1 Black Label to be the great for rust prevention but it flies off. Chain Wax does not fly off but does a poor job at lubrication and does not prevent rust. PJ1 Blue Label has been the best I have found. The Honda Spray Cleaner does a great job to remove chain lube from body work. I use WD40 to remove it from everywhere else.

Steve Sallberg
Anderson, SC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode