A new low.... 36* - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2003, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

A new low.... 36*

Well its midnight, and I just got home from work / friends house... Now you know its cold when you have to scrape frost off of your seat! I love warm weather, especially for riding, but before the bike i was a winter guy so I dont mind the cold. It makes you think though when the fog on your face shield freezes.

It was amusing though, all the looks I got from people in their cars... people around here are wimps, I just hope the bike is ok in temps this cold. Oh and for future refernce... Pirelli Diablos DO NOT like cold weather, which is another possible benefit of really cold riding: learning how to control slides. Bundle up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2003, 08:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
I can imagine the looks. They're probably worse than the one's i get when i ride in a monsoon.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-2003, 09:31 PM
Dad

The further below 60 you get, the more you have to be cautious of the grip. 30's aren't good.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 03:33 AM

There is a guy that rode into work last night, the temp is about 29 degrees. That is way beyond my comfort zone.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by v65rider
There is a guy that rode into work last night, the temp is about 29 degrees. That is way beyond my comfort zone.
He may be like me, I don't have a car, if I go anywhere it is one two wheels. The only thing that bothers me with cold weather riding is ice, ice sucks big time, snow is no big deal, but ice really sucks. Can you tell I've crashed on ice?

James.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 10:50 AM

Tires for the cold?

What tires do you find work well in the cold? Or do you really learn to handle slides?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

One of the main reasons i ride this cold, besides not minding it, is the parking situation here at my school. It is 100x's easier, less stresful, and cheaper to ride a motorcycle then it is to drive. Parking permits for cars=$300+/semester Motorcycle=$50/year
Always open motorcycle spaces at almost EVERY building. Cops are reluctant to give bikes tickets. And the biggie: Towing companies won't touch you (or at least i would hope). Towing is a huge industry here in newark, and so far ive parked in spots that would have gotten my car towed in minutes.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 01:18 PM

My season is very limited at this time & really I should be out riding to-day for while below freezing in the morning it is above it right now while to-morrow might be dull & hair warmer when I take off.

Still as Dad says traction is questionable when close to freezing temp. Also with snow at higher altitudes, of these mtn roads, though it will be melted off(?) there is a possibility I will encounter sand/salt to give cages traction or it might be sand/gravel/salt & this will ruin a good ride.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 09:29 PM

Now I really feel like a wuss. I rode to work, 2nd shift, 4 of 5 days this week. Wednesday night, on the ride home, it was about 52 degrees, and despite being dressed for it, I was quite chilled by the end of my 12 mile ride. I couldn't ride Thursday for non-weather reasons, but did ride again on Friday in similar temps. It didn't seem as cold, though. I certainly didn't feel the chill tonight when I arrived home.

Anyway, I was just saying to my wife a little while ago that I probably wouldn't be riding to to work any next week with highs only in the mid-50s and lows in the 30s. I don't mind the cold, I've always loved winter. But it looks like it's gonna be daytime rides only for at least the next week. Besides, they are calling for rain as well next week, and I don't like riding in the rain, especially a cold rain.

That's okay though, cause we'll have at least another month of off and on good riding days around here. Maybe even into early December.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 08:37 AM

Re: Tires for the cold?

Quote:
Originally posted by Shyryder
What tires do you find work well in the cold? Or do you really learn to handle slides?
I run avon's on my BMW, they do pretty good in the winter, but it is a heavy bike, and I do take it easy. Even then you still get in a little sliding practice from time to time.

James.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode