Under armor for cold weather riding? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2003, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
Under armor for cold weather riding?

Since cold weather riding season is coming up for those of us in the fluctuating climates, I was looking for something to keep warm. I was checking out some gear from under armor in the cold weather section. $50 for a shirt, and the same for pants. Does anyone have an opinion on this stuff? If not, what do you wear for layering to keep warm. Any suggestions are appreciated.

http://www.underarmour.com/ua2/ua/gear.asp?dept%5Fid=4

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2003, 09:42 PM

Under Armour

I use under armour and it rocks. I've never used the coldgear (I presume that's what you're talking about), but I use the heatgear for working out (t-shirt, sleeveless t-shirt, compression shorts). It is awesome stuff, very durable, and really lives up to its reputation. Hope this was helpful.

Drew
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2003, 04:31 AM
Strength and Honor

I used to be in track and field, and so have worn running tights and a running shirt underneath. Its kept me warm, and wicked away moisture to prevent that nasty cooling effect. As long as you don't burn through to that layer in a crash, it works well down to about 45F for me.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2003, 12:33 PM

I am often riding at temps around freezing , which means a hair below or above. I wear a cotten long sleeve jersy, double cotten drawers, heavy t-shirt, or loose fitting wool sweater. Sweats & under waxed cotten trousers while jacket is a Joe Rocket Ballistic 4.0 LONG (with the liner), a washroom towel around the neck to take care of any air that might want to sneak in or any rain that wants to run down. Long socks along with Danner Fort Lewis boots with Gore-Tex lining. Lastly a pair of Frank Thomas winter gauntlets. Also carry a large bandana if it is that cold to ward off fogging up the visor & my glasses.

Basically I am as warm as a bug for 3 to 6 hr runs. True this is not up to snuff of proper armor others feel is a 'must' but basically have been riding like this for around 57yrs. Remember the 'cold chill' factor slows down the rider to close to max speeds.

True that is some very interesting new gear out, but I have been using the above for some yrs & some will be updated to replace others as they wear out or prove not to be satisfactory for I am looking SERIOUSLY at the All Season riding gear by Belstaff.

One can only ride so long in the cold weather & once snow arrives the mess of gravel/sand/salt at all bends, all uphill/downhill parts of the roads & stop signs------ this elimiates the the chances of the m/cist staying upright not to mention the mess it will make to his bike, corroding, etc.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2003, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
Nice post smitty. For the cost i would pay to buy some of the stuff you listed, I could just about buy this under armour stuff. The thing for me is that this gear will go for riding/hunting/snowboarding. So it's gonna be pretty all purpose. And I like the idea of something tight fiting for the first layer.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2003, 07:56 PM

I actually just got home from my girls house and the temp right now is 36* F. My T-shirt, sweater, and HJC Retro 2 jacket kept my upper half suprisingly warm and comfortable... wish i could say the same for the rest of me.

As for the under armor... no, i dont have any experience with it. I usually layer up. Ill go on rides till about 45 degree weather and I just layer up: sweatpants, jeans, thermal shirt, tshirt, jacket.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 03:44 AM

If you really want to do some cold weather riding look into some of the electric gear. You can get a controler to turn up the heat as needed.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 10:43 AM

Thumbs up UnderArmor Cold gear is great

As a new rider, I haven't had a chance to ride in really cold weather. But I've worn the UnderArmor COld Gear stuff for both winter camping, climbing & running. Its, soft, warm, wicks sweat & stays dry. Very, VERY form fitting. Only downside is that it gets stinky fast, like most synthetics.

I've always wondered..... When cold weather riding, is there a reason why warm outerwear couldn't be layered OVER your leathers?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 10:56 AM

Two Words

"Long Johns"
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 11:04 AM
jrm

ahh, seattle

Here in the PNW, we have many occasions to put rain gear on. Quite often, I put a rain shell and pants on over my leather suit. Obviously, it helps with the water, but as a wind blocking layer, it helps retain heat, too.

Only hot tip is to be sure you tuck in any hood the jacket may have. I hit I-90 and was blitzing down the onramp when FOOP-BAM! Hood popped out and did "dragster parachute" anchored around my neck. Distracting at best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode