Thought my clutch was glazed I WAS WRONG - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Thought my clutch was glazed I WAS WRONG

Well, the clutch slipping got extremely bad today, to the point where the bike didnt want to go up the driveway without revving up to at least 6grand.

So i went hunting.

I spotted a little rubber stopper on the chain side, and noticed the clutch cable above it... so i pulled out the stopper to find a little threaded stud with a phillips screwdriver and a locking nut around it.

I then proceeded to loosten the nut, and screwed in the stud a little bit, hopped on the bike, and without starting it i put it into 1st gear, let out the clutch and rolled it forward... now there was NO resistance.

So, i then turned the screw out to where it turned freely, then turned it back in and stopped as soon as i felt tension.

Hopped on the bike agian, put it into gear, and IT WOULDNT MOVE!!! YAY!!!

NOw i got myself a rolling start, popped the clutch and it turned over the motor!!!

So im excited, i quickly tightened up the lock nut, put the stopper back and fired up the beast.

WOW! I revved it up to about 4 grand and dumped the clutch, the bike didnt even pull up, just jolted forward a bit (grabbed the front brake) and without effort spun the balls off the tire....

Now to take it around my neighborhood...

Its like driving a completely different bike, the power is sooooo much more obvious, and wheelies are now had without effort. NOW i know what its like to ride on the street. I thought i liked my FZR before... i had no idea.

Yea, so was this stud a adjuster for the clutch? like on drum brakes when the pads wear it gets adjusted outwards to compensate, except with this YOU have to adjust it?

Because noone told me that , glad i didnt go out and buy a new clutch when this one works like brand new!

Happy Happy Happy Happy

BTW... i had a hard time believing my clutch needed to be replaced because i checked it, and all the plates had at 2-3mm of pad left if not more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 01:02 PM
Dad

Don't take all of the play out. Hope you didn't damage it while it was slipping. You may still have problems at top end. Your manual will have the correct procedure as well as other good information. Good luck.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Well up on the lever theres still about 1/8-1/4 inch of play, but the clutch feels very solid... Ill take it down a straight tomorrow afternoon and see what happens. (my stomach is getting tingly just thinkin bout it))

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 01:10 PM
Dad

Quote:
Originally posted by Yamaha_Life
Well up on the lever theres still about 1/8-1/4 inch of play, but the clutch feels very solid... Ill take it down a straight tomorrow afternoon and see what happens. (my stomach is getting tingly just thinkin bout it))
That only assures there is free play in the cable. What you need to be sure of is free play in the whole release mechanism to allow the full tension of the clutch springs to apply to the clutch. There should be free play in that stud to compensate for temperature, wear, etc. What the spec is I don't know but am sure it's in your service manual.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Ahhhi see what your saying... so when i feel it get the tension, just back it off a little bit, then tighten the lock?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 01:23 PM
Dad

Yes. Maybe a turn or so but I'm not sure. Take the rest back out in the cable. The cable may have a coarse adjustment down at the bottom with a fine adjustment at the lever. Again, I'm not completely familiar with your bike. These things are typical ways cable releases work going back decades.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode