Care about other types of bikes? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Care about other types of bikes?

Just wondering how many of the under 30 year olds have any interest in motorcycles other than modern race-rep sport bikes? Personaly I like all kinds, vintage, some crusier, dual sport, standards, customs, etc. Seems like lots of the younger guys figure if it ain't plastic and racer it's not worthy. Care to comment?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 06:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to wantanaprilia
I`m 18, and I`ll be the first to admit, if I could afford it (the insurance of both bikes, and the other bike) I would have a chopper for just cruising. But, since I can`t afford both, theres no way I`d give up being able to ride back roads hard vs. just looking good going slow. Also, the look of naked bikes has been growing on me lately. The only bikes I really don`t care for are the gold wings that are pretty much convertables on two wheels... whats the point? I rode dirt bikes when I was younger too, and would love to have another, and I would if I had anyone to ride with and a way to transport it. ah well
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Good going. Re: convertables-I drive a '98 Chysler convert and tell people it's the 2005 Gold Wing.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 11:51 PM
Retired Moderator

I'm over 30, but I like many tyPes of bikes.
I like race reps, and admire their performance, but I can't fit my legs on them and would never buy one.
I enjoy riding my buddies bikes (CBR954 for example) but I wouldn't decide to own such a bike.
The kind of motorcycles that I like is what we used to call a motorcycle 20 years ago, ie simple bike without fairing, just a headlight. Now they are called 'Nakeds', but it's the same thing.
I also like classics and have restored my father's BMWs after he died and I ride them as much as I can.
One other category I really love are the Japanese classics, I restored my Yamaha SR500 after clocking 80.000 kms (50.000 miles) and I'll keep it for ever!

Aris
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 04:05 AM

Thumbs up

:hey guys just to put my veiws across--- here in the uk streetfighters/naked/retrobikes are big.have been for over8 years
here at bike meets. its nice to see a naked /retro bike ,or as i
allso say it's( old tech but made with new tech")ie better brakes +
handleing.on the retros that are made today,many of my mates
have Blades,R1's,Gsx/r's,yes there fast yes they look nice- but!
practical"try riding for over 400 miles and say you dont ache,that
is why my wife has just traded in her CBR600 f4i for a new hornet
600,and before you say she couldnt hack the cbr .she has been riding over 6/7years on many different bikes she along with other
people i know have all traded in there race reps for naked bikes
or motard type bikes i do appreciate over here and over in the unitedstates trends differ but in the end its a personel choice we
all make .Thats not to say race reps are not good bikes just not
my likeing
.you all ride safe cheers

Last edited by bulldog; 10-20-2003 at 04:16 AM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 06:36 AM

Quote:
The only bikes I really don`t care for are the gold wings that are pretty much convertables on two wheels... whats the point?
The point is touring, For example, after work fri night, I rode my BMW tourer down to daytona (about 380 miles), and when I got there I still had enough in me to setup my tent and go party a little, and I stayed untill nearly 2 pm yesterday, stoping at two eateries on the way home and still making it in before 9 pm. Yeah the bike is heavy, ugly and slow, but you just can not imagine how nice they are on a long ride. One more thing, this is coming from an under thirty guy, I like sportbikes, but then again I like almost any bike ever made. My BMW tourer is the one bike I own which is NOT for sale, others come and go, but that one stays.

James.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 07:31 AM

ok, so I'm not under 30...sue me! I have taken the cruiser route and the naked bike route, as well as the sport tourer route...I seem to get bored easily. If I were to do any of the above again, it would have to be in ADDITION to my sportbike. I just started hitting the track this past summer, so the addiction ain't ending anytime soon!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 11:49 AM

I like sport bikes, sport touring bikes and naked bikes and have one of each in my garage. I have no desire to ever own a cruiser but can see myself on a Gold Wing someday. I'm over 30 though so my opinion does not count. Just felt like gloating...
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 12:45 PM

As a new rider, I opted for the sportbike because of factors like weight, reliability, etc. I really like the naked bikes, but didn't see one in my ability/price level. But at the risk of getting flamed, I'd love to own a Harley V Rod one day!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 12:46 PM

Oh, and I almost forgot... Any other ride would have to be in addition to our sportbikes, cuz I've fallen in love with their ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode