What Happened TO MY Fingers - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 03:09 AM Thread Starter

What Happened TO MY Fingers

Hey! I live in Daytona Beach and as you know its biketoberfest. Anyways I have been riding for about 4 months now and I havent experienced this until now---on my left hand my ring finger and pinky feel FUZZY! WTF?? Its kinda like a numb feeling---who has experienced this---its kinda makin me nervous seeing that its been about 12 hours and it hasn't gone away---should i also take a rest from riding until full feeling comes back? GEKO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 03:36 AM

That happened to me when i first started riding, but never lasted 12 hours...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 07:24 AM

It should go away, swinging your arms in a circle for a few sec can sometimes help. Are you sure you've been drinking enough water latly?

James.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 07:53 AM

Sounds like the symptoms of a pinched nerve.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 08:14 AM

Geko - Some of the nerves that control your fingers run beneath your palm. Putting excessive weight on this area while riding can pinch/deaden these nerves.

There are a couple things you can do: The first and most important is train yourself to always support your weight with your midsection and legs. That lets you be light on the grips, and the nerves won't get pinched in the first place. Problem Solved!!!

Second - Adjust the controls so your hands lay in as natural a position as possible. In particular: Loosen the pinch bolts on your levers and rotate them so the back of your arm and top of your hand form as straight an angle as possible when you are sitting on the bike in riding position. Same applies for feet: The foot controls should be *right* there - You shouldn't have to reach for them at all.

Third - Softer grips and gloves with gel palms can also help, but be aware that they also take away a little feel from the front end.

Scott
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-18-2003, 10:37 AM

I don't own a bike, I just browse these boards because I want one and I like the info you guys provide.

I had the same thing happen a few years ago. If it hasn't gone away yet go to a nuerologist right now. You have pinched your ulnur nerve. Do you also have a loss of strength in your hand, try pinching your thumb and first finger. Also is only half of your ring finger numb?

I don't mean to scare you (I'm not a doctor) but I let my numbness go a month hoping it would just heal it's self. Bad idea, I'm still not as strong with my hand and it's two years later. For example as my name suggests, I ride a Yamaha Banshee ATV. ATV's come with a thumb throttle, I still can't use one because my hand isn't strong enough. If you treat it early it can be fixed without surgury. I had surgury and I have a 4" long scar running on the under side of my elbow.

Like I said, I'm not a doctor so if I'm wrong I'll feel like an ass, but I'd rather feel like an ass than have you to go through the pain that I did.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 01:11 PM

yeah i get that feeling on long trips too....but doesnt last hours...wheni used to ride quads on the trails it used to happen all the time...i bet it has somthing to do with engine vibration going through the handle bars.....b/c my position on a waverunner and quad are closely realted and on the quad i have the numbness and on the waverunner none if hardly any...//and the w/r is a hellla lot smoother than the quad
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Well its getting a little better now in my pinky, half of my ring finger is fuzzy! I dont have a loss of strength at all. I am gonna go see a doc to see whats up. Geko
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 06:52 PM

yeah i would if i were you i woud go...you had might have a pinched nerver etc
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2003, 02:27 AM

Unhappy Numb Fingers

Hi Guys,

I've been riding about a month now and ride 40 miles everyday. At first I was getting numb in both hands, but now it seems to be limited to my right (throttle) hand. I to put this down to the weight on my palms, which is more noticable at slow speeds in traffic. I now hold my weight more with my stomach muscles and this seems to help.

The other problem is that the reduced circulation causes my fingers to freeze quickly on cold mornings. I'm getting some heat grip today and hope that will solve it.

However, I never had the numbness last more than a few minutes after riding. Although my left arm aches a bit. I think that's due to the use on different muscle groups to the one's I normalliy use.

Good luck at the Quacks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode