Update on tires and slideing out - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Update on tires and slideing out

I was going to post an update on a post I did some time back about the problems I was having with D208's on my CBR 600 but I can not find the thread. I replaced the D208's with M1 sporttech's, last week. I now have about 600 miles on the new tires, it does not feel like the same bike, the M1's are so much better that I have a whole new outlook on that bike. To be fair to the D208's I found that I had a warped disk which played a role in the lockups I was experiancing, I replaced the disks before changeing the tires, and found a moderate reduction in the tendensy of the front to tuck, but it still would, and the rear would still take a walk when it got half a mind. While at the Barber track I got the chance to talk it over with some of Reg Pridmore's staff, they also use the D208's on thier track bikes, (F4's) but they use the GP compund and mine were ZR. I found that I was running about 5 pounds more air pressure than they do on the track. A racer who was taking reg's course that weekend told me that the D208 is not a good choice for general street riding as it needs to hit about 130 F to get sticky, but said he likes them on the track, he also uses tire warmers. So basicly my problems were due to a warped disk, running a tire below the heat level at which it performs well (ie street use of a track day tire), and a little bit of overinflation. FYI, the CLASS school runs 30 psi cold in thier D208's and says that they find them to be up around the 35-36 psi mark after a session, from that and what I found I would run 30-32 on the street, if I ever ran the D208's on the street again. Since going to the M1's I am unable to cause a lockup of the front tire even on damp pavement, and only once has the rear slipped at all, that was in a sandy mud puddle while making a 90 degree turn at 20 mph.

James.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 02:05 PM

While I have suffered throgh the worst of tyres since I started riding legally in 1946 it seems whatever I have on my bikes work satisfactorly.

Even Bridgestone BT-56 was acceptable for the break-in season on my 600r while replacements were Metzeler ME-Z2 (a soft tyre at the sides & harder at the center & if they were still avaliable I would continue to use them & same on the 929. while the Michelin Pilots on my '00 929 is what I keep replacing the bike with unless the Metzeler still punches out the ME-ZE for I do not do track days or any racing ------ strictly a hwy rider.

One thing I have done for yrs is NOT go by the factory tyre pressures as they are two high----for existance the 929 Owner's Manual says 41psi I I use 34/36 & same in dropping the front like 33 VS 36.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

The D208 is the first and only MC tyre I have found myself this highly unhappy with, I have run many brands and types in the past. For day in day out street riding I would say the brick hard Perfect ME 77 offers better grip than the D208, but to be fair I had to point out that some of the problems I had reported were not due to the tyre. The biggest problem really was that the D208 needs more heat than I was giving it.

James.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 07:47 PM
jab

My last two sets of tires were 208's, and the last few before that were 207's. I guess I got really used to them. About 3 weeks ago I got a new 208 for my rear and thought I could make it through the season on the front. Well, it didnt happen so I had to get a new front this morning and the shop didnt have any 208's so I got a bridgestone b 020. Now I have a 208 on rear and and 020 on front. I havent put enough miles on it yet to tell how sticky it is but I IMMEDIATELY noticed how much easier and sharper my bike was falling inot corners. I think part of that was due to the fact that the previous front tire was getting really bald. I dont know much about the 020 but I like it so far, do any of you have any experience with this tire???? Also this is the first time I have ever eun different tires on front and back!! How do you guys feel about that????????????
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by jab
My last two sets of tires were 208's, and the last few before that were 207's. I guess I got really used to them. About 3 weeks ago I got a new 208 for my rear and thought I could make it through the season on the front. Well, it didnt happen so I had to get a new front this morning and the shop didnt have any 208's so I got a bridgestone b 020. Now I have a 208 on rear and and 020 on front. I havent put enough miles on it yet to tell how sticky it is but I IMMEDIATELY noticed how much easier and sharper my bike was falling inot corners. I think part of that was due to the fact that the previous front tire was getting really bald. I dont know much about the 020 but I like it so far, do any of you have any experience with this tire???? Also this is the first time I have ever eun different tires on front and back!! How do you guys feel about that????????????
I've never used the BT020, it's rated as a cruiser tire so I would have some questions about how sticky it is. I have run differant tires front and rear on some bikes with mixed feelings about handling, some tires are listed as ok to mix and some are not. http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/info...s.asp?id=2#tip I think if you were to give the Metzeler M1 a try you would be blown away with the differance in handling. My D208 front was not bald at all, it had plenty of tread, the rear was only worn in the center due to the fact that I got sick of the tires, and did a few burn outs.

James.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jamesjweg
I've never used the BT020, it's rated as a cruiser tire so I would have some questions about how sticky it is. I have run differant tires front and rear on some bikes with mixed feelings about handling, some tires are listed as ok to mix and some are not. http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/info...s.asp?id=2#tip I think if you were to give the Metzeler M1 a try you would be blown away with the differance in handling. My D208 front was not bald at all, it had plenty of tread, the rear was only worn in the center due to the fact that I got sick of the tires, and did a few burn outs.

James.

The BT-020 is rated as a Sport Touring tire. Not a cruiser one. 8~10K~ish lifespan, excellent on the cold and wet, firm in the center for long life, but soft on the shoulders for grip. They're very good tires. Just not quite up there with SuperSport jobbies.

Admittedly, I'm not much of a Dunlop fan, but I have found that they tend to run large/tall compared to other brands. That would explain at least some of the difference in handling between the 208's and the BTs. The shorter BTs would lower/sharpen fromt steering geometry slightly. Not to mention that you are comparing a new Bridgestone to a whipped~to~hell Dunlop.

Scott
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Hmm, on the Bridgestone site it lists the BT020 under BOTH Sporttouring and Cruiser, I just missed that the first time.

James.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 08:52 PM
jab

Well I'm not sure what the hell they were thinking giving me a touring/cruising tire when I asked the same type tire as my 208, but I guess thats my fault for not doing my homework, or for being a cheap skate and not just getting a new front when I got the rear just a few weeks earlier. But, I did put about 100 miles on my new bt020 today and have no complaints. Its a smooth running tire, I was still breaking the tire in so I didnt push it in the twisties but felt great going at pace!!! Probably was a good choice considering the rest of my riding for the season will be in 50 degree and below and plenty of wet weather as well. Hell I can barely get 2000 miles out of a 208, so if this thing is supposed to get 8-10 k then I know its to hard to really push it on, but its a good enough setup for the rest of this season. Come next season I will have to give those m1's a shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode