Why I Lowsided? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Why I Lowsided?

I lowsided coming up to a stop sign today right after it started to rain. I have a theory why it happened but am unsure. Here is how it went:
It had just rained the night before and was starting to dry up, so I decided to take a trip to the local Yamaha shop to pick up a part. It then started to rain again when I was half way there. I have not had much experience riding in the rain so I rode carefully. I also noticed when I turned a corner slowly my back end slid around slightly. Then aproaching a stop sign I downshifted through the gears using engine braking to slow me down as much as possible. When no more braking from the engine was possible I pulled on the front brake LIGHTLY knowing that the wet conditions would mean less traction. I was traveling about 2 mph (guessing it was very slow though) when I applied the front brake and lowsided. There was very little damage. On my way home I came upon an intersection where I used engine braking as much as possible and then put very slight pressure on my front brake and could feel the front end getting ready to tuck so I released the brake totaly and used the back brake. Also my front tire is very old atleast 5 years old if not more. Could this be a factor. Furthermore, my friend on his R1 is able to pull stoppies, SO what is going on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Also my front tire is very old atleast 5 years old if not more.

I'd probably replace it.. 5 years is a lot, even if there isnt a lot of miles on the bike, rubber will deteriorate and such..
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 05:04 AM

If you took the MSF course one of the things they taught you was that when it first starts raining, that is the time when it is MOST slippery. All of the oil/grime on the road gets pushed up with the water when it first starts raining and makes it much more slick, that could have played a part as well.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by joberly
If you took the MSF course one of the things they taught you was that when it first starts raining, that is the time when it is MOST slippery. All of the oil/grime on the road gets pushed up with the water when it first starts raining and makes it much more slick, that could have played a part as well.
Yup, sounds like a combination of things to me, the tire age probably played a part, oil due to it just starting to rain, are the two biggest suspects. Also what was your lane position? Left, right or center? You also need to check for warped disks on the front.

James.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 07:27 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally posted by joberly
That would've been my first inclination, but the fact that it had rained the night before, and assuming it was substantial, I'd say that the oil/grime had probably already been washed off. That's not to say more couldn't have appeared, depending on the level of use of the corner, but the rear tire is my first guess. Hard rubber might as well be concrete, especially when the pavement's cold, and the tires might have been too.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

My lane position was in the left third part but also a little in the center, which now I relize was a mistake
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 08:19 AM

A FIVE year old front tyre. Good Lord I am going through front & rear tyres EVERY YEAR. You cannot expect to run on hard old rubber tyres & stay upright ESPECIALLY when it rains.

Also where your are positioned on the lane & CONDITION of the lane has so much to do with staying upright on a m/c for these are not self-balanced four wheeled vehicles like cages & somthing I always try to point out to lst time riders---the cage & m/c are so different in balance/survival & when it comes to fender benders.

I put in 5 hrs of riding yesterday on the hwys where the pavement was dry or wet & where it was sunny/cloudy to lots of rain with temp barely above freezing & when I made it home the temp was 40 above----- I could never have done it on last yrs tyres & even the ones on the bike will have to be replaced in a few weeks or next Spring when I roll the bike out.

With NEW tyres woren in a bit start riding when it rains & learn how to stay upright, learn how to use the brakes with gentle touches, to use the rear brake more, to stay back farther from traffic in front of you, do not bank like normal, slow down your pace compared to dry weather riding, etc. Also do not count on the engine braking all the time for if revs are down to much the rear end can lock up.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 08:20 AM

A FIVE year old front tyre. Good Lord I am going through front & rear tyres EVERY YEAR. You cannot expect to run on hard old rubber tyres & stay upright ESPECIALLY when it rains.

Also where your are positioned on the lane & CONDITION of the lane has so much to do with staying upright on a m/c for these are not self-balanced four wheeled vehicles like cages & somthing I always try to point out to lst time riders---the cage & m/c are so different in balance/survival & when it comes to fender benders.

I put in 5 hrs of riding yesterday on the hwys where the pavement was dry or wet & where it was sunny/cloudy to lots of rain with temp barely above freezing & when I made it home the temp was 40 above----- I could never have done it on last yrs tyres & even the ones on the bike will have to be replaced in a few weeks or next Spring when I roll the bike out.

With NEW tyres woren in a bit start riding when it rains & learn how to stay upright, learn how to use the brakes with gentle touches, to use the rear brake more, to stay back farther from traffic in front of you, do not bank like normal, slow down your pace compared to dry weather riding, etc. Also do not count on the engine braking all the time for if revs are down to much the rear end can lock up.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

I will now replace those tires as soon as possible. I have taken the MSF course and do remembered that the roads are slick when it rains and about oil in the center of the lane. In my 6 months of ridding , in wet conditions also, I have never experieced the loss of traction I did on that cold, wet day except on gravel. The roads were wet but it had rained alot only about 6 hours prior.

Also the front tire is dry rotting around the sidewall to the point where you can stick a finger nail in and touch the inner belt of the tire. The back is only about 1 year old and is starting to dry rot. I asked my friend, who rides an R1 and been ridding for about 2 years,and also works at a tire place, and he said it should be alright till the spring. No Way.

This only adds onto the mounting problems of this bike. Yet another thing that needs replaced or fixed!!!!!

Last edited by cyber_rider; 10-16-2003 at 07:02 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2003, 09:09 AM

Replace them before you ride again. I will not ride on any tire that shows any dry rot signs.

James.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode