Tractor Trailer tire blew... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Tractor Trailer tire blew...

So, I'm cruising along about 75mph in the middle lane of the expressway. I'm passing a big rig, almost up to the cab when I hear (and feel) a BOOOM!!! I swear, it sounded like a cannon shot...and felt like it almost knocked me off the bike! Holy $hit! Scared the piss out of me! I look back and see large shards of rubber exploding out from the side of the trailer. Cars are skattering all over the place behind he and I. We have all seen the rubber in the road from such an incident, it happens all the time, but this was the first time I was that close, and on the bike no less! I have a renewed vigilence in staying away from big trucks, let me tell you! Ride carefully and pay attention to the other guys everyone. Find a vacant pocket in the traffic and try to stay in it. I usually try to maintain max distance from all other vehicles as much as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 08:47 AM

i had that happen to me once before but not while i was on the bike. its very loud and damn scary especially when you don't know what the heck it was. good thing they have 17 other wheels, huh.

SQUID=Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, & Imminently Dead

Katie has a nice "spice rack".

If you can read this, thank a teacher....If you're reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 08:56 AM
Strength and Honor

I've had a serious problem with tire treads in the road causing damage to my first car.

Is it correct to assume these are caused by using tires that are due for replacement or have been re-treaded one too many times? It just seems to me that its a huge danger to allow the possibility of the occurrence, but don't know the legal guidlines around truck tires. I mean, how often have you seen this occur to a car? Personally, never.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 09:05 AM

for some reason whenever i pass those big bastards, i always drop down a gear or two and haul ass past them...now i know why.....
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by kanwisch
I've had a serious problem with tire treads in the road causing damage to my first car.

Is it correct to assume these are caused by using tires that are due for replacement or have been re-treaded one too many times? It just seems to me that its a huge danger to allow the possibility of the occurrence, but don't know the legal guidlines around truck tires. I mean, how often have you seen this occur to a car? Personally, never.
Re-treads are the culprit...and should be outlawed!! Very dangerous to other drivers/riders. I guess new truck tires are expensive, but the dangers of using re-treads should far outweigh the cost consideration.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 09:12 AM

A couple of the guys I ride with also drive trucks, and it's not so much retreads as you might think, it happens on brand new tires too - what happens is in those set of 2, one of the tires either has a leak, or low on air pressure, or some other reason for putting stress on the other tire, lots of times this goes unnoticed (especially if it's the inside tire and a long trip), the extra stress on the other tire in that set is too much, and causes a failure (blowout) of that tire.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kanwisch

While it's true that is does not offten happen with a car, it does at times. The number one reason it happens is retreading, and the number two being the ungodly number of miles they get out of a tire, I know a truck owner who says he has gotten as much as 600,000 miles on set of tires. It's not due to number of times it's retreaded, just that it is a retread. Retreads are not allowed on the front axle.

James.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 10:15 AM

Houston we have a problem...

Quote:
Originally posted by akcbr
for some reason whenever i pass those big bastards, i always drop down a gear or two and haul ass past them...now i know why.....
+1
Cruising next to any vehicle isn't wise, especially so with 18 wheelers.....Minimize the risks and get ahead or drop back, I prefer ahead
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 12:43 PM

My mother got into an accident with ones of those goddam tracktor trailers on the Brooklyn bridge when I was in high school the bastard didn't notice her before he changed lanes on her totally crushing the roof of her hyundai excel. luckily she had the presence of mind not the mash her breaks her car was literally under this faggots truck other drivers on the road had to signal before he stopped he didn't even notice that he just ran over a god-dam car , luckily she came out with only and few scratches. I hate trucks with a passion ironically this happens the day after my mom gives me the car. I own my first car for one day thanks to a trucker who wasn't looking
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 04:30 PM
jbg

I was riding home one night on a dark part of the freeway one of those treads was laying across the road...I didn't see it and the car in front of me didn't see it...the car ran over it and all I saw was a dark shape in the air...the tread hit the front of the bike the bike shook and I looked down...no wind screen, speedo, front farining and etc, I pulled over the the front end of the bike was gone...end of story the CHP came the the trunk was about 1 or so down the road...I was told if I could get the tire then they could prove it came off the truck...right I am going to run out into a 70 mph freeway to get the tread....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode