Is this possible on a sportbike? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Is this possible on a sportbike?

I'm looking to get a bike in the next few months, hopefully before the end of December. I was hoping to be able to take this bike on a long ride for spring break to Florida from Texas.

Heres a route thats pretty close to the one I will be taking.

http://mapsonus.switchboard.com/bin/...e=drawroutemap

My question is, is it possible for me to drive this in one day on a 600cc sportbike like an F4i or similar? Have any of yall done 1,000+ straight miles? I know I can do this in my car, but just not sure if its possible with a bike.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-12-2003, 01:15 AM

1000 miles in one day on any super sport is pushing it. I personally dont know if I could take the wind, seating, and energy you need to have to ride a sport bike long enough to last 1000 miles.

......2 days is doable though! (whats one night at a holiday in?)
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-12-2003, 07:37 AM

anything is possible, but remember the first time you doze off on a bike you eat pavement

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-12-2003, 08:10 AM

yeah it can be done. I know a few guys that punched over 1000 miles in the saddel for a few days in a row (crossed CAnada from coast to coast ). Most I have done was 700. but I whould had no prob going the extra three. If most of it is highway then you are laughin..... your ass will be sore but it can be done . next summer I am headin to Black bike week from here in Newfoundland ( canada) I will have to punch about 12-1400 miles per day . think I might get a gell seat for that run. best of luck.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-12-2003, 09:20 AM

Talking

sounds like a good ride.....

1000+ miles might be pushing it.... I've done it but only cause I had too. I would have rather taken the time over 2 days. Best bet would be to find a half way spot the look for those $25 a night motels that are all over the exits on I-10...

NEKO's right, you've gonna be up for that kinda ride too. Doing a 1000+ miles a day in a cage is VERY EASY conpared to a bike.

I'll Sleep when I'm Dead....

Spread the love. Literally.

My hoes are motivated and my teeth are gold plated

Friends help you move...
Real friends help you move bodies!

“Next time I want to borrow your balls, I’LL ASK!!!!”
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-12-2003, 09:42 AM

Six hundred to Seven hundred miles is my limit. Granted your road choice has no turns to speak of, but still.

Wear earplugs - the yellow foam kind the shooters wear.

Don't drink coffee during the ride. It makes you more tired after a long ride than it's worth getting the kick from the caffeine.

I'd spend a night at the 600-mile mark, let the next day's ride be shorter.

Is this going to start about 10 minutes after you midterms? You're probably best off taking a nap before starting if you do, but better choice would be start at dawn the next day (and don't party the night before).

Hydrate.

good luck,

cdma2k
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-12-2003, 02:20 PM

Yep it can be done, question is why would you want to. Take an extra day, cause your butt, back and shoulders will be toast . Better have a jaccuzi and a massage lined up. 600 sportbike is probably the worst long range bike made, except for a mini-bike (did you happen to see the movie "Dumb and Dumber")?
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-12-2003, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Only a week for spring break so gotta try to do it in a day. There will be a hot tub and pool there waiting
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-12-2003, 02:42 PM

Spring break, should be able to find that massage too. I've seen the videos.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-12-2003, 02:53 PM

ok you just mentioned spring break, I neglected to read that before but now, no way, I live in florida and the traffic here during that time is beyond bad, once your in georgia nearing florida speeds will decreae and traffic will increase, if your going to daytona then figure atleast 2-3 extra hours, orlando about the same. if your coming down to ft. lauderdale, atleast an extra 4-5 hours just sitting in traffic. while it might be cool to have your bike here to cruise around on you really won't be cruising much at all.

your best bet is to book a cheap plane ticket, or go by train. if you need to get around, rent a moped. I hate living here during spring break, its traffic 24/7 and the parties aren't anything special.

if you must do it on the bike, then do it in 2 parts, get a hotel in georgia then do florida early the next morning, and I mean early like 5:30am, at about 9 the roads will be filled with dumbass college kids buring up daddys money, no offense
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode