How Ebay scams work - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

How Ebay scams work

Very interesting, since this had been a popular topic here a few weeks ago.
http://www.msnbc.com/news/957191.asp?0bl=-0&cp1=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 08:50 AM

S.O.B.!!!!!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 09:06 AM

I take a little solace in the fact that its ruining him. But then again, those comments might just be another scam for sympathy, much like he does to people he takes money from.

Its sometimes hard to believe how gullible people can be to fall for schemes like this. Watch out for inconsistency.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 09:27 AM
Strength and Honor

Interesting article.

This is one reason some people won't do Internet transactions, and I consider those people to be smart. They realize they aren't knowledgeable enough to know when they're being scammed. For the rest, caveat emptor.

These emails revealing acct information come out every quarter or so. Ebay, AOL, Microsoft, Verisign, the list is endless.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

I do lots of transactions over the net...even bought and sold on Ebay, with great success. For the most part, I think people are honest and trustworthy. Like anything else, however, it just takes a few a$$holes to ruin a good thing. I think the message should be diligence in checking to make sure you don't get taken. I will still use services such as Ebay...while doing all I can to determine validity before getting scammed. If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is. If anything sounds shady or not quite right...STAY AWAY!! scammers
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 10:10 AM

I too spend a lot of time on eBay and have had very good experiences with only the rare item misrepresentation or size problem (clothing). I ALWAYS pay with a USPS money order sent via certified mail. I won't use PayPal, wire transfer or any other form of payment for that matter. I find that the "threat" of committing mail fraud is usually enough to scare off most would-be scam artists. On a few occassions I've met with local sellers and paid cash for items, which has been convenient when possible.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 11:27 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally posted by kanwisch
This is one reason some people won't do Internet transactions, and I consider those people to be smart. They realize they aren't knowledgeable enough to know when they're being scammed. For the rest, caveat emptor.
I'll expound, since my viewpoint was poorly defined. Some b/g first: I've been an Ecommerce developer/designer/administrator for four years, so I'm familiar with the security and implementations out there. Therefore, I've also seen lots of users' activity.

Based on this thief's comments, roughly 20% of users are willing to give out their info DESPITE repeated warnings. My experience agress with this, too. I've received credit card numbers and social security numbers via email from users having application problems (and I NEVER ask for this information, they just send it), and that would run roughly in the 20% of problem-plagued users.

My key point was that people who know their limitations and take action (or, in this case, avoidance) to provide for their own security are actually some of the most intelligent users. Here's an example. Everyone knows you don't buy something without SSL encryption in the URL (aka "https:"), right? Well, have you ever checked the page to see what it was doing with that information? I've found locations that are sending the form information via email to some other location!! That's just as insecure as using "http". I'm willing to bet that less than 1% of 'Net users even realize this is going on.

Sure, the sites you've all listed are reputable sources, only known for having been cracked on rare occasion (Ebay is one of the most attacked sites out there). And that's being smart. My wife and I are like you all, too, shopping VERY frequently online for convenience and price. But we all understand the risks involved.

I'm not saying buying online is foolish or insecure (though the latter point is quite debatable), I'm just saying that people who aren't shopping online are pretty bright since they know what they don't know. And there's a large segment of online shoppers who don't know what they don't know, and are thus open to easy robbery.

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 11:28 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally posted by slaintedan
I ALWAYS pay with a USPS money order sent via certified mail. I won't use PayPal, wire transfer or any other form of payment for that matter. I find that the "threat" of committing mail fraud is usually enough to scare off most would-be scam artists.
This is a really good idea I had never thought of before. Pretty clever!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2003, 03:14 AM

These scammers can be evasive once they move the transaction off ebay into a private forum, but there have also been some doosies on ebay itself.

One that springs to mind was a guy who built up a huge rating by selling cheap crap for a few bucks and supplying on time. Once his cred was established he then started to sell unbelievably cheap laptops which of course never existed. Once the $$ rolled in he shot through. Nice scam that took a while to develop.

As they say if it looks to good to be true it probably is. I buy on ebay but I like to do my research as best I can first.

Last edited by titomike; 10-12-2003 at 03:19 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2003, 06:42 AM

That was a great article, I think I was moments from being scammed last week on a 03 busa Thank god I backed out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode