Looking to buy a....any help? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Looking to buy a....any help?

Hey all,
OK here is the deal everyone. I am 17 with a max of 10000 to spend on a bike. I never got my permit so I need to buy a motorcycle until I turn 18 at the end of next April. I am looking for something that I can use to get around on in a suburban area. It is central Florida to be specific. The bike will be my main means of transportation so I need it to be able to handle being riden every day. Right now I have been looking for a 748 Black Ducati. I'm hoping to carbon fiber it out by the end of the year. I have been reading that the newer 748s just aren't very good for everyday riding so my question to you is what would you recommend to a 17 year old (don't want too much power but I used to ride dirtbikes so I can ride a bike) who is looking for a sweet ride to get all the ladies...hah no, but seriously I'm looking for something styling, but I want to make sure it stays styling on the road and not in the shop. Should I go for the Ducati or play it safe with something like a CBR or RI? Please give me feedback I need to make my descision soon. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 06:54 PM

LOL well you could send me some money, because you don't want to spend that much on a bike alone. Get a 250cc or 500cc. What do you mean you used to ride dirt bikes? Get your permint and take the MSF. Get some good gear and alot of your 10K is going to go to insurance, espcially if you mention any of the bikes you did here to the insrance company. those bikes are way to big/advance for a beginner. Just my
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

well actually I know I want atleast a 600 and I know dirtbikes are a lot different I've riden my sisters 250 ninja. I really don't want something that small. I still live with my rents so I don't need to worry about insurance. So could I get some help. I am really just stuck between... CBR....Ducati....Or an R1..., but those are the only bikes I have really done much looking into so if anyone has any better suggestions I am really looking for some help. Thanks for the help though Edge Ranger

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

also anyone know any good sites to look at??? I know of Ebay and Cycletrader....but thats about all I've used
thanks
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 09:49 PM

i know you live in FL but i livein LA and theres a subscription called Boats, Bikes, and Rv's

they have stuff all over the gulf coast....if you dont mind the ride you can find plenty of good bikes for way under 10 g's..thats where i just picked my bike up from
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 10:09 AM

Dirt-riding has very little relationship with road riding, other than manipulating the bike's controls. You will be dealing with dynamics that can kill you quickly.

Assuming this isn't a simple troll posting, I would suggest you consider a cheap nekkid bike first, so you don't trash all the pretty plastic on a sportbike. If you want to have a ball, pick up a super-moto type bike and ride it for 6-8 months before getting a donor-cycle. I have a lovely Aprilia with 100+ hp, but I get just about the same fun on my 400cc super moto bike, ripping up the canyons here. I can also jump curbs with it to avoid idiots behind the wheel.

Good luck.

Our greatest challenge in life is living up to our own potential.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tahoe
Dirt-riding has very little relationship with road riding, other than manipulating the bike's controls. You will be dealing with dynamics that can kill you quickly.
i think i understand where you are coming from here but i don't totally agree with this statement.

i started on dirt and you CAN utilize allot of technique on the road. granted there are allot of things you shouldn't do. both have their differences, yes, i agree, but you can go from dirt to the street with relative confidence. My only MAJOR transition difference that i have to admit i sometimes still find myself RARELY doing is on the street you need to keep your feet on the pegs (real tight corners can f*ck me up). i've ridden on dirt since i was a pre-teen and on the street since 16 and i have over 20 years of experience on 2 wheels.

Quote:
I would suggest you consider a cheap nekkid bike first
i agree with this recommendation. ride on the street with an inexpensive bike first because, unlike on the dirt, one drop of a "pretty" machine even from a stationary position can cost you some serious change. i always suggest to buy a "beater" and ride it for 2 years or 6000 miles minimum, whichever comes SECOND. and take an MSF course.

well, there's my

SQUID=Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, & Imminently Dead

Katie has a nice "spice rack".

If you can read this, thank a teacher....If you're reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 11:38 AM

Clarification, not disagreement...

My comments regarding the transition between dirt and street focus on the hazards that one encounters on the street versus the dirt. You might agree, we generally don't run across too many seniors aiming their Buick's at us whilst tooling along on a trail. I think of trucks, cars, pedestrians, dogs, spilled diesel fuel, potholes, tar snakes, truck tire carcasses, the occassional ladder falling off a pickup in front of you on the freeway (BTDT).

That's why I make the statement that other than "controls" not much transitions between dirt and street. We also often get somewhat complacent on the street with regard to hazard avoidance, vs the midset when dirt riding. I tend to be alert to mineshafts, rocks and sagebrush ready to jump out and grab a wheel or bar. Sometimes on the street, I drift off my concentration more often than on the trail.

The thought of a teenager hopping off a 250 dirtbike and onto a R-1, CBR or Duc, makes me think that the organ bank may get a deposit. Sad but true, statistically.

Our greatest challenge in life is living up to our own potential.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tahoe
That's why I make the statement that other than "controls" not much transitions between dirt and street. We also often get somewhat complacent on the street with regard to hazard avoidance, vs the midset when dirt riding. I tend to be alert to mineshafts, rocks and sagebrush ready to jump out and grab a wheel or bar. Sometimes on the street, I drift off my concentration more often than on the trail.
well put.

often when trail riding i get mentally tired as well as physically tired where as on the street i can tend to relax a bit more.

SQUID=Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, & Imminently Dead

Katie has a nice "spice rack".

If you can read this, thank a teacher....If you're reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 01:43 PM

Agree with you Tahoe & that comes from someone that competed in dirt for 42 yrs plus riding the streets & hwys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode