Old guy loses liscense story - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
Old guy loses liscense story

I was sitting in burger king today, and there was this loud family behind me. And at the center of the conversation, was this old man. He's telling his family about how he "accidentally" ran over stop sign. Then about how he was going to go to the police station a few days later and tell them. But before he could, somebody got his L.P. and called the cops. They went to old guys house and took him in. They didn't book him, but told him he was going to have to retake his drivers test.

The old guy tells his family, "I told them i've been driving all types of vehicles for over 50 years, now you want me to prove I can?"
So he goes to the dmv, and fails the test.. Now he's all upset because he can't drive. His family was talking about how its not right how they treat senior citizens today, and how they should all go complain.

Personally, i think this is a great story. Having jack-offs like this off the road will make me feel a lot safer when Iím on the bike.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 07:03 PM

Re: Old guy loses liscense story

Quote:
. . . Having jack-offs like this off the road will make me feel a lot safer when Iím on the bike.
Now, fast forward 50 years and put yourself in this "jack-off's" shoes . . . Now what do you say? . . . Just something to think about.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Re: Re: Old guy loses liscense story

Quote:
Originally posted by orangeokie
Now, fast forward 50 years and put yourself in this "jack-off's" shoes . . . Now what do you say? . . . Just something to think about.
He's plowing over stop signs, it's just lucky person wasn't standing there. He doesn't belong on the road, and neither would I.

Quote:
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 08:13 PM

If I can not pass the same test that the 16 years have to pass in 50 years then I have no buisness on the road. The test is designed to be the minimum requirements for safe vehicle operation. If you can't meet the minimums how can you deal with rain, snow, ice, accidents, etc.

My opinion:

After 50 retest every 5 years, after 75 retest every year and if they have an accident or ticket automatically required to retest

I'm completly fine with having my grandparents have to spend one day out of the year each year proving they are ok to drive. There is too much at stake to do anything less.

but thats just my 2cents
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 04:49 AM

Good, one more off the road. As for fast forwarding, the day I can't shift, or god forbid start runing over traffic control devices "accidentally," is the day you can put me in the ground, cause I'm done. Far too many poor drivers of all ages on the roads. In fact, tests should be much, much harder. Driving is a privledge, not a right.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 06:29 AM
Strength and Honor

My grandfather stopped driving by choice, and it was a good thing. He was smart enough to know when to say when.

Having said that, I understand the distress of the family members. Essentially, they're going to have to haul him around to get groceries, go to the doctor, the bank, etc. It really complicates peoples' lives, but that's the price of living longer lives in the first place. Would you rather not have your grandparents' around?

I only thought of this last question after my grandfather had passed away, and now regret my foolish complaints of driving him places. It was actually an honor I didn't fully appreciate.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kanwisch
It was actually an honor I didn't fully appreciate.
well put. Elderly people are a wealth of knowledge. Most of the time they have been here at least twice as long as you. You know how much you learn in you first 20. How much do you think they got out of there 2nd or 3rd 20 years. I think its sad to be of a mind that is more than capable and be physicaly limited. I will hate the day I can't ride, not because I have forgoten how but because my reflexes may not be up to the challenge. Now look at a man who was in your shoes at one point in his life, amassed 2 to 3 times the knowlwedge you now have, is now being told he isn't compitent to complete safely a once routine day to day task.
I have to share some sypathy here, especially knowing I will one day be in that place, If I make it.
Test, retest, or whatever is nesesary but at least be respectful.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 08:04 AM

this is a topic that has been beaten to death by this young'n who calls himself Tippman.

this is a subject that if one should get tested frequently, then ALL should, regardless of age.

i am tired of having to pay for all this other sh*t that doesn't involve me and i know if these old fogies get tested all the time, i'll have to pay for it again. (those with no clue, i'm referring to taxes)

leave the old folks alone. they'll be gone soon enough.

SQUID=Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, & Imminently Dead

Katie has a nice "spice rack".

If you can read this, thank a teacher....If you're reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by monkey
this is a topic that has been beaten to death by this young'n who calls himself Tippman.

Hey monkey, speaking of things getting beaten to death....

Me and you, parking lot, after class, be there.

Quote:
WARNING
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 07:43 PM
jab

Hey guys
Just tell me when your meeting, Ill bring the smokes!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode