Cold Starts and Oil - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 05:23 AM Thread Starter

Cold Starts and Oil

Well here in Delaware last night I had the pleasure of riding home from the library at midnight in a balmy temperature of 37* F. Now I myself dont mind the cold, but im wondering about the bike. With my cars in the winter i drop to a higher viscosity oil (10W to 5W) for the cold starts. I just changed the oil on the bike this past weekend with Honda 10W not expecting it to get this cold. Should I be worried about cold starts or no? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 06:06 AM

I have no intelligent advice to offer, but this last weekend I also made the switch while doing an oil change, just thought it was appropriate...(October in Alaska)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 08:22 AM

I have used 20-50 (some times 15-50) in my bikes for some yrs & ride in freezing temp untill it becomes to much of a chore to dress up or ride under such cold conditions.

No bike has suffered or showen signs that I should have gone to a lighter viscocity of oil since way back in late 50s.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

So the higher the Weight # (ie. 5W, 10W) the "better" it is for cold weather? I knew all this about 5 years ago when i was really into cars, but college tends to clutter the brain.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 02:18 PM

No the higher wt viscocities are for WARMER weather while lower is for cooler weather. Still when one has one that is cased as 15 or 20 for low then obviously it is ideal for cooler weather while the 40 or 50 at the top is for the hot summer weather. The days of just one viscocity in the oil is rather rare.

Back in the late 40s & early 50s we ONLY used ASA 60 for the HD/Indian along with the Brit & Continental 4-stroke bikes. Seals & gaskets in those days could not keep back lighter oils from leaking through & to the ground the vast changes in better machining & better "O" rings, seals & gaskets along with the newer oils is the answer of why most Japaneser bikes do not leak oil.

On some of those older bikes I had to remove the cover of the flywheel (once a month or more often) to make sure the seal/gasket was still holding & often clean any oil that started to show up for the oil could saturate the coils of the flywheel magneto.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 02:21 PM

Of interest in the earlier yrs the seperate gearboxes were filled with a light grease & later on a 120 in viscocity, then 90 & FINALLY 60 & in a short while it was 10/30 or 30 ------ proof that things change in time.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Smitty (this thread was basically a question directed to you since I know you would have some intelligent input on the subject, but I figured you'd find it on your own )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode