Cold!! riding and fuel stabilizer - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Cold!! riding and fuel stabilizer

22 degrees F this morning on the way to class.

My F4i started and ran excelent, however I think it is inevitable that I will have to put her down for the winter in a few weeks.

What are people's feeling on fuel stabilizers? I have allways used it in my snowmobile and jetski, however with the injected bike i wasn't sure if this was a good idea. I was thinking of just topping it off with some 93+ and calling it a day untill spring??

Also anything else I should do?? I plan on cleaning it thoroughly, oiling up the chain and storing it with the wheels on a 2x10 to keep the tires off the ground (read this is something you should do if you dont have stands). However, other than that I could not think of anything else.

What about tire pressures? Leave them alone, lower?

Last edited by bridomine99; 09-30-2003 at 11:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 11:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
I start mine atleast once a week in the winter months. No stabilizer's here.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 11:14 AM

personally i've NEVER used them. i always fill my tank to prevent condensation and shut off my fuel supply and run the bike till the lines are dry. i've never had any issues starting it back up in the spring.

i also leave my battery in too.

like i said, i've never had a problem but i'm sure others will swear by stabilizer and "look down" upon me for not using it.

SQUID=Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, & Imminently Dead

Katie has a nice "spice rack".

If you can read this, thank a teacher....If you're reading this in English, thank a Veteran.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by monkey
personally i've NEVER used them. i always fill my tank to prevent condensation and shut off my fuel supply and run the bike till the lines are dry. i've never had any issues starting it back up in the spring.

i also leave my battery in too.

like i said, i've never had a problem but i'm sure others will swear by stabilizer and "look down" upon me for not using it.
quick question.....just how do you shut off the fuel on an f4i?
There's no reserve and i've been wondering for a while about that one.....
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by akcbr
quick question.....just how do you shut off the fuel on an f4i?
There's no reserve and i've been wondering for a while about that one.....
can't help ya...i don't have one. my bike has a valve lever that lets me switch from "fuel" to "reserve" and has an OFF position the stops the fuel flow all together.

SQUID=Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, & Imminently Dead

Katie has a nice "spice rack".

If you can read this, thank a teacher....If you're reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 02:29 PM

You are close to what is needed.

If the bike is close to oil change time then do it.

Yes to fuel stabalizer, but fill the petrol tank & then ride around for a few minutes to make sure it is all through the carbs/fuel injectors.

Remove the battery & take it indoors to a place of around 60F temp & makes use of a Battery Tender.

Do not drain the fuel system & do not start up the bike every week or so for condensation will become a problem on the bike.

The tyres do not need wood under them & the same with the battery if you put it own a cement floor.

All you need do next spring is check the pressure of the tyres, pop in the battery & that is more or less it other then hit the starter button & let the bike warm up properly.

Ages ago (well before fuel stabalizer) we stored bikes for customers & did the oil change if necessary, cleaned the bike & then went over the bike to see if it needed any corrections (here we would contact the customer as to what he wanted done), pull out the battery & on prop, or rear stand (in the late 40s & early 50s there were no center stands) & most bikes carried a rear-stand.

Come next Spring we asked to be given 30 minutes to get the bike ready & when there the bike would be freshly polished, air pressure checked & looked for anything else, we had already fired up the bike, so just a prod or two & the smile came on his face.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 06:32 AM

I ride year round (30+ degree temps permitting), so I don't do the full storage routine. Just a little Sta-Bil when I fill the tank on the way home, battery tender, stands and cover. I have a composite tank now, too, so I'm not even very concerned whether the tank's full or not. If it got dirty when out, put it away clean to prevent corrosion.

Don't start it unless you're going to run it for a while and get oil hot enough to burn the condensation away.

When I was in the service (Navy) and had to disappear for 6 months at a time, my old VF700 would get it's battery pulled, a little fogging oil sprayed into the combustion chambers, a light coating of machine oil on exposed metals, a thick coat of wax on the bodywork, intakes & exhausts plugged (rodents will nest...), chain pulled off and wrapped in an oilcloth, Sta-bil, then into the storage shed, stands and covered.

Most places wouldn't need to rub the bike down with oil, or remove the chain (lube's MUCH better nowadays anyhow...), but my shed was literally a football field's length from the ocean.

Scott
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 12:16 AM

I'm just going to take my bike out for a little ride whenever the road is clear. That way I don't need to do any silly winter storage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode