i hit what i was looking at...a big pot hole...damage? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

i hit what i was looking at...a big pot hole...damage?

how do i know if there has been damage to my bike? i was trying to avoid it but i just looked at it cuz it came outta no where on the higfhway and i hit it pretty hard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 08:55 PM

Unhappy Welcome to NYC riding!!!

Nothing says "Welcome to NYC riding" like hitting a nasty pothole! Welcome to the club!!!

First of all, thank God you're OK and didn't wreck the bike! Second, as far as damage goes, check the rims and tires for any obvious dents/dings, cuts/tears, and damage. You DON'T want to blow a tire while riding so please make sure you didn't damage your wheels and/or tires before you ride again. I'm gonna suggest that you also check your brake caliper, disc, forks and the rest of the front-end assembly, though it's unlikely they were damaged, things can come loose. It's always best to double-check everything...better safe than sorry, right?

Did the bike bottom out when you hit the pothole? You may want to look under the bike and check the undercarriage (exhaust, etc.) just to make sure.

Good luck!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 10:06 PM

Seems you made it without coming of the bike & probably no bike damage.

Good thing you do not live in many of the areas (mine included) that are loaded with pot holes, gravel spread all across the pavement, massive frost heaves that turn out to be doozers of pot holes a bit later on.

Anyway it just goes to show that a m/c is harder to ride over such terrain compared to a cage. Something many beginners do not realize ----- even to the point of us not mentioning it to possibly new m/cists for they would not believe us, or the stories about tar-snakes, & so much more.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 06:25 AM
Strength and Honor

Question tar-snakes?!

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
tar-snakes
What in tarnation is that?

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 07:00 AM

Re: i hit what i was looking at...a big pot hole...damage?

Quote:
Originally posted by illmaticnyc
...it came outta no where on the higfhway and i hit it pretty hard
darn thing just JUMPED right out in front of ya, didn't it. i bet when you hit it, you taught it a lesson, huh? that pothole won't JUMP out in front of anyone else now, will it.

i'm glad to hear your o.k. i won't add my because you've already got some good input from Dan.

kanwisch: i don't know what smitty means by it but here those are the cracks in the road that were filled in my the slick pavement sealer. instead of seeing the crack you see the "snaking" of the sealer over the crack. the stuff can be pretty slippery, especially when its wet.

SQUID=Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, & Imminently Dead

Katie has a nice "spice rack".

If you can read this, thank a teacher....If you're reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 02:38 PM
jab

Im not sure but I would think its when there are strips of pavement that are lower (a rut) and if you get in them they can be scary. I find this alot on the highway were the tar comes together from one lane to the next, making it sketchy to switch lanes. This would be my definition of the elusive tar snake!!! The same effect as getting in a rut on a dirt mx course, it can make your bike go were it wants it to if your not careful....only sometimes much less forgiving......
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 04:58 PM

kanwisch: Seems as if I am going to have to teach you, AND others, some of the m/c lingo.

Tar-Snakes are when the hwy people go around with hot tar & pour it into cracks willing all over the road & on the level of the pavement. When it is hot outside one can easily loose front or rear end of the bike.

For last two-three weeks they have been doing it on a major part of Hwy 97 coming into & through the small city of Penticton. The ONLY way south or north through the town while south is just 48 miles & to hwy 97 at the Washington State & though Oriville & deeper into the States OR the only way cages & m/cs going North. THING is it all so greasy & slippery (as being so new) I ride off the shoulder of the road & onto the gravel few feet so I will have traction----they really got carried away on this part & untill they repave the road it will be a nightmare to m/cists.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 05:00 PM

Typo error: "--cracks willing all over the road---" should read "--cracks wiggling all over the road---".
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 07:14 PM
jab

Thanks for enlightening us Smitty, I was going to have nightmares over that one
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Tar-Snakes are when the hwy people go around with hot tar & pour it into cracks willing all over the road & on the level of the pavement. When it is hot outside one can easily loose front or rear end of the bike.
haha! i was right!

SQUID=Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, & Imminently Dead

Katie has a nice "spice rack".

If you can read this, thank a teacher....If you're reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode