how to ride with a passenger? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

how to ride with a passenger?

any certain way that the passenger should beon your bike? how to turn? accelerate? where they grip ?etc

id really like to know
thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 08:57 PM

I'm not the authority on this subject, but I'll bump it for you because I remember seeing a link a while back where someone had written up "rules for the passenger" or something like that... I believe the rider was a Goldwing rider, but the rules are all the same.. maybe someone can post up that link, I can't find it!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 10:11 PM

I have not carried a pillion rider since '50 & if I see pillion footrests on a bike I buy I remove them & put them away for the prospective rider a few yrs down the road.

To many accidents caused due to pillion passengers & to many of the pillion riders being injured far more then the owner/rider. Both have to be very skilled in how to ride in unison & almost be able to read each others minds.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 12:02 AM

Exclamation No passengers on my bike!

Just like Smitty, the first thing I do is remove the passenger pegs. The second step is to put a race-style solo tail on the bike. "Sorry, I can't give you a ride 'cause my bike doesn't have a passenger seat or pegs."

Too many problems, too much potential for injury, too much responsibility...it's just not worth it to me.

However, don't let me (or Smitty) disuade you from riding 2-up. There are a lot of riders on this board that have a lot of experience with hauling passengers and they'll give you the advice you seek.

Good luck!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 05:47 AM

Just a couple thoughts on this. Make sure your passenger has full gear on - your responsible for her now. Work out a couple of hand signals before taking off - you won't be able to communicate effectively at speed. If you have a side pipe (as opposed to an undertail) remind her to get on and off on the non-pipe side to avoid getting burned. Make sure you are on the brakes and set with both feet planted firmly before she gets on - the bike will want to fall towards her when she mounts. Until both you and your passenger are comfortable (this may take quite a while) don't ride aggressively - tell her to sit nice and quiet back there, no sudden movements or leaning. Also, the bike will handle very differently at slow speeds. Lastly, I find it easier on both of us if I quick shift - that is don't rev the rpms way high before shifting. This smooths things out and avoids the dreaded helmet clunk! Good luck.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 06:18 AM
Strength and Honor

Bonk, thanks for the pointers. My wife is pining to go for a ride now and then, and I can see us using it to head over to friends' on occassion.

I'm actually surprised at the comments to not do pillion riding, and I'll take them to heart. But first I'll have to see what it's like with a passenger. Thanks to the others for the warnings. Sounds like a great reason to buy a new bike for me and let the wife have the miniceptor! :thumb2:

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 06:54 AM

Riding two up with my wife or either of my kids is great fun, a wonderful bonding experience, and one of the biggest reasons I ride bikes.

You do have a whole lot more responsibility and need to be mellow with a passenger. Gear for the passenger is a given. Be as SMOOTH as you can be and leave more space for stopping than you would alone. Take corners at slower speeds in general but much slower when your passenger is getting used to riding. Passengers tend to fight the bike as it leans over until they are comfortable with riding so be prepared to wallow through lots of turns. Stay away from city streets and don't ride two up during rush hour. I like to ride rural back roads in general but it's a must with a passenger.

Perhaps you'll be as lucky as I am and your wife will want her own bike someday. My wife rides now and both my kids want dirt bikes. My mom is not at all pleased
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 07:17 AM

i don't mind carrying passengers at all as long as they know how to ride, and if not, they must follow some simple rules that i have which "generally" teaches them the "rules" of being a passenger.

#1) when entering AND exiting corners, lean with the bike and DON'T SHIFT YOUR BODY.
#2) when riding, pay attention to the road with me so you will be prepared to enter corners, maneuver around obstructions, etc... and DON'T SHIFT YOUR BODY.
#3) if you are feeling uncomfortable, DON'T SHIFT YOUR BODY. tell me and wait until i tell you its ok to move.
#4) if the passenger is a female, they are required to hold onto me at all times with both arms wrapped around me (this one is pretty self explanatory ).

basically, using the simple rule of DON'T SHIFT YOUR BODY will significantly reduce the amount of movement from the passenger which will allow you to concentrate more on the road and conditions rather than concentrating on compensating for a moving body behind you.

its very stressful when you are fully into a corner and your 120 pound female passenger decides to push herself up off the seat to adjust her butt position.

make sure the passenger is comfortable and ready for you to move PRIOR to putting your bike into gear. this will help prevent them from being tempted to shifting their body.

in short, one rule. DON'T SHIFT YOUR BODY. after that, everything else is all easier to deal with on an individual learning basis.

SQUID=Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, & Imminently Dead

Katie has a nice "spice rack".

If you can read this, thank a teacher....If you're reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 11:48 AM

I agree that riding with a passenger can be fun, it's just a lot different than riding solo. I ride very conservatively with my wife on back - however I learned quickly that being too conservative makes a bike handle sloppily, so until you are both steady ride at the bottom end of your comfort zone, and then build from there.

As an aside, her first experience as a passenger will definitely color her opinion of riding with you. If you do something to set her off, even as a joke (like pop the clutch) that'll ruin everything.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 11:58 AM

Something I forgot to write earlier.

Don't know why this is but women like to be a little scared now and then... I don't think you should be reckless but once she gets used to riding pillion a bit, take some good corners safely at a good clip now and then. Don't forget that the main reason many of us ride is the adrenaline rush. Don't be an idiot though. A little adrenaline goes a long way and being terrified is not a turn on for most people. What may be normal for you could be pretty damn frightening for a non-biker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode