R6, 600RR, Firebolt - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-27-2003, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

R6, 600RR, Firebolt

This spring I will be buying my first bike. I would like to get some information from owners on these 3 bikes......reliability, performance, your over all satisfaction, things like that. any information is greatly appreciated.

thank you

P.S. anyone want to buy a banshee?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-27-2003, 01:15 PM

I bought an '03 R6 this year and I could not be more happy with my choice. I was attracted to both the R6 and the 600RR, but after researching how much engineering efforts went into redesigning the R6 for '03 my choice was clear.

It's handling is out of this world, the fuel injection is one of the most responsive I have seen, and I dont think many people can argue the styling (body, frame, gauges, lights) on that sexy machine!

Don't get me wrong I think the 600RR is a sick bike, but for me the overall package of the R6 was much more attractive, and Im sure I made the right choice for myself.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-27-2003, 01:53 PM
jab

First I have to state that no matter what bike you choose they will all exceed your skill level for years to come so you will not even be able to tell the difference perfomance wise, any shortfall in any department will be a fault of your own not the bike. You could buy an ex250 for your first bike and still not touch its performance. The only thing you could even remotely do is top it out going in a straight line and "think" you need more power. These bikes are designed to meet and exceed the skill levels of the worlds top riders so you could ride the r6 or 600rr for twenty years and still not have grown into its performance yet, and these probably arent the best choice for your first sportbike. When I first got my 01 r6 I couldnt get it to roll on wheelie in first gear, I went to a friend who was way more experienced and he just laughed at me and proceeded to do a bounce up 2nd gear whellie at 60mph. The fact was I was subconciously doing everything in my power to keep the front wheel (on) the ground even when I thought I was trying to lift it. Why, because the bike was WAY overpowered for me and even though I didnt realize it my survival skills did. If you get one of these bikes just realize that even though you may not realize it you will be scared of the power and It may infact limit/slow down your progression in riding skills. That being said I would personally go with the r6 for I feel it is the best performing bike of the three!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-27-2003, 07:33 PM

whatever, i do what i want

ah yes, a "sick" bike. as someone new to riding, you should probably stay away from any bike termed "sick" on this website. i suggest an sv650s, a 600R, zx-6, 500R. you are a complete idiot if you buy a straight up repli-racer as your first bike.....

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-27-2003, 08:04 PM

Quote:
ah yes, a "sick" bike. as someone new to riding, you should probably stay away from any bike termed "sick" on this website. i suggest an sv650s, a 600R, zx-6, 500R. you are a complete idiot if you buy a straight up repli-racer as your first bike.....
I agree

the 2 600 are way to agressive for a beginer, also why did you put firebolt as a chioce? seems kinda wierd compaired to the others.

as far as your first bike, don't go by looks cause you mostlikely will drop it within the first few weeks you own it and screw up the fairings anyway. your best bet is the sv-650 or 250r or 500r.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Ok first of all im not totally new to riding. ive had lots of dirt experiance, and ive riddin a few of my friends bikes. last week i went and test drove a xb9s....they didnt have any firebolts in....anyway theres no way in hell im getting anything but these 3 bikes so dont try and talk me into a 250 ninja or whatever....i know i wont tap into the power/ performance for a long time but that just means i can keep and enjoy the bike for a longer period of time.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

ooops i accidently hit a enter or somethin....anyway i know what these bikes can do and i know how to respect that so dont give me shit about how im gonna drop it and what not, i just want to know which bike is better......and to the guy who said "why did you put the firebolt in there" i just like the bike...... i think there is a certain mystique that comes with it.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 02:20 AM
Dad

For some it's about the ridin', for some it's about the ride.

After 35 years of this, I've seen many come and go. Those who work their way through the levels and work on the education are usually about the ridin' and are the ones who are around over the long haul. For those who are about the ride, it's gotta' be the coolest and it's gotta' be right now! They don't usually last. They find out in pretty short order that it takes a lot of practice and education to ride well, the bike is a minor part of the equation, and they give it up when the realities finally hit them. They move on to the next thing with a cool factor, often to just repeat the cycle. Unfortunately, some get hurt learning this.

As far as a straight answer to the question, many bikes from '90 up, and just about any bike from '95 up will be a potent tool in the hands of an experienced rider. Except for the Firebolt, your selection and many more are exceptionally capable bikes. IMO, Hondas tend to have some minor reliability advantages but most aren't around long enough (over 50k) for that advantage to be realized. The Firebolt needs a new engine for reliability if it's to be run hard but has a cool factor that may serve your purposes well. Just don't expect it to stand up to a lot of real ridin'.

Don't take my word for this. Go to a track day in your area and watch the riders, find out what they're riding, and prove it to yourself. That's always an eye opener for the magazine educated. Good luck.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Ok first of all im not totally new to riding. ive had lots of dirt experiance
lol, dirt riding doesn't do ANYTHING for street riding at all, so don't even try to say your not new. I've been riding dirt bikes since I was 10 and it didn't do anything for me. everyone here will tell you the same, there is no similarity between the 2 types of bikes. dirt riding is so easy and so forgiving, street riding is not.

Quote:
....anyway theres no way in hell im getting anything but these 3 bikes so dont try and talk me into a 250 ninja or whatever..
we were trying to say in a polite way that your a dumbass, your gonna pay 8 grand for your first bike? pretty much everyone drops there first bike, usually making a mistake with the kickstand or misjudging a corner, or trying to turn really sharp while going very slow, its not a dirt bike so don't try that, the newer the bike the more expensive the plastics will be to replace, a set for the bikes you mentioned is insane, I think its something like 2g's. an older bike is cheaper and doesn't matter as much, plus if you got the 250 you would learn to ride much better and faster then you will on the new 600's, thats a fact.

Quote:
....anyway i know what these bikes can do and i know how to respect that so dont give me shit about how im gonna drop it and what not
if you can't even give proper respect while typing to people trying to help you then there is no way you can give proper respect to a streetbike.

to sum it all up
new 600: $8-9,000 for the bike, if you finance then figure atleast another $3-4000 for insurance, plus atleast $1000 for proper gear, and when you drop it figure atleast $1-2000 for damages, so thats min. $13,000 you should plan on having around realisticly.

an older bike: if you get a 250 or 500, or if you just get an older 600 figure anywhere from $1500-$4000, insurance can be much cheaper on the smaller bikes, plus in many states like mine if you buy the bike outright then you don't need insurance, but if you finance you must have full coverage in any state. still need $1000 in gear no matter what cause landing on pavement is way harder then landing on dirt plus there are cars trying to kill you. and when you drop the bike, if you decide it fix it you can find used parts on ebay $300-1200. so with a smaller, or cheaper bike you can get away with as little as $3,000 to get started thats ten grand you can put aside for a bike you will upgrade to, only now you will actually know how to ride it.

just makes sense to me, out of curiosity how old are you? are you just getting one of these to keep up with some trend, cause thats not what riding is about.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Ok im sorry if i was rude earlier, i know you all think im just some punk ass kid that is getting a bike just show off. and some of that is true....i want a bike that looks nice but my dad has been riding... on the street since he was 12 ive been around it my whole life so now im looking to get into it. The reason im buying a new bike is because i dont want to get into the vicious cycle of buying and selling bikes. anyway thanks for the info. so far keep it comin.

P.S. i forgot to mention that my friend has an old suzuki 450 that he lets me ride i got my license on it and i think i do a great job of controling it around town.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode