Mechanical failures - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2003, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

Mechanical failures

Didn't know where to post this, so here it goes.

After yesterday's discovery of my front sprocket coming loose, I was wondering what kind of mechanical failures you all have seen/experienced?

I'm hoping to create a little inspection checklist of items that are oft issues.

The ones I've run into include:

1) loosening front sprocket retaining bolts

2) front caliper mounting bolt coming out (previous owner stripped the bolt and caliper)

3) missing swingarm retaining ring, resulting in back-out of swing arm bolt

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2003, 09:31 AM

Since I am a lst time owner of my '97 Yamaha YZF600r & '00 Honda 929. It is a fact that I have not had to do any work on the bike bar usual like tyres, chain, inspect sprockets, change oil & put in petrol. The 600 did need a new starting gear & the Yamaha mechanic noted it, for it was so gradual that I had not----that was corrected within a week.

Will admit the 600r was in a prang (partially my fault of going to fast on some twisties only to loose front end on some gravel) & the plastics would have cost me over 5 grand, but accepted some of the scratches & dints to keep the costs down.

Once I felt my work on adjusting the chain on the 600 was finished only the old mind kicked in & sure enough the axle nut had not been snugged up.

Most of my other Japanese bikes have been new or just one prior owner & only on the last did I check all, but the others held strong till the day I sold the bikes bare an '80 RZ-350 that tended to loose the one nut/bolt & out would go the baffle till I correctred that.

Will admit I put far more effort into checking my dirt comp irons for they were pushed to the limit all the time. Street irons are NOT pushed to the limit. Mind you if you are going for a LONG trip, of several day to a week plus, then it would not hurt to give the bike a much closer inspection. Still I ride 4 to 6 hr runs on my 929 or 600, almost daily, & do not need to thoroughly inspect the bikes bar tyre pressure, wear, chain adjustment & I do have a Log Book on both bikes so know what should be done & what has been done.

The days of laying out all my spanners & such to go over the bike from front to back, every week or each time before I took off to practice comp., are no longer needed as they were in the Brit irons. STILL if one obtains a "used" bike then they should go over the bike & be ready to do it a 2nd time or upon any rattle one might hear.

Info laid out in the Owner's Manual & the workshop manuals gives one a maze of info we never had with Brit irons along with the use of nuts that do not work free, Loctite & such.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2003, 09:59 AM

I'd add checking your triple clamp bolts to the list, having them come loose on a ride is not something I ever care to repeat, I had them release about half way up deals gap. Smitty is right, I'd only worry about such items after purchasing a used bike. I do not worry about the big stuff working loose as I've gotten into the habbit of safty wiring my street bikes. You might also take a look at the rear shock mounts, and rear barke bolts, if the previous own was over torqueing bolts you should check all bolts which he might have messed with.

James.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2003, 04:49 PM

According to workship manuals once once has removed the caliper bolts to garbage them & put on new ones------it is critical matter & by gad I go along with them. Or at least drill & wire them. Yet with personal bikes the owner/rider will reuse them over & over. So on a used bike one does not know what has been torqued beyond belief or actually stripped. One of the hazards/gambles of purchasing a "used" m/c.

Note that James has cought onto the idea of safety wiring & I back him fully.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2003, 06:52 PM

Could either of you elaborate on the safety wiring.

Im the 2nd owner of my bike and the previous owner babied the thing like none other, so the only thing I concern myself with is wear an tear since ive been racking up the miles. Clocked 130 today alone on a nice little ride after class
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode