Back-sided, low sided, oil leak - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

Back-sided, low sided, oil leak

Well, if getting into an accident is the right of passage into the motorcycling community, I've just passed.

Been having a training class in Indy this week, so was heading off in the bright, cool morning. I was stopped at a light, in heavy traffic, for the second light rotation. As I was rolling at ~30mph during the third, I was close to the intersection, and the light changed to yellow. I had space to stop, so I did.

Fortunately, I had the foresight to watch the guy behind me in an SUV (vehicale specification intentional). His front end dipped dramatically, and I could tell he couldn't stop in time. So, I rolled a bit ahead, but stayed straight. Bam, he got my backside, but I stayed up, and out of the intersection (thank heavens).

After we pulled off, he was very apologetic, and explained he assumed I would just gun it through the intersection. We surveyed the damage, traded information, but I opted not to call the police (perhaps a foolish move, but he and his wife were really conciliatory). He attempted to give me $50 for the damage, but as you all know, plastics are WAY more than that.

So, we parted ways, and I had to stop at the Meier (similar to Walmart) that was on the other side of the intersection to get a bungee cord to hold up my right rear turn signal. While leaving, I heard a strange noise coming from the front sprocket area of my bike.

After a peek behind the cover, I realized that the front sprocket screws were coming loose! To me, someone in heaven must've been watching over me to cause such a minor accident which resulted in me realizing this sprocket was coming off. After all, at highway speeds, if the front sprocket came off, I'd be much worse off. So, I thanked my stars, tightened the bolts, and headed off to continue my journey to class.

I mistakenly turned the wrong way, and so at the next light, I had to make a U turn. When the light turned, I gave it a little gas and started off through the sharp U. The next thing I knew, I was on the ground, and the bike was 10' from me. I had lowsided, in a slow, sharp turn, and the real cause, I suspect, was some oil I hadn't noticed.

Well, my jeans were torn, I got two nasty raspberries, and now there's a significant oil leak from the oil pan (I think). Wife now understands my strong desire for leather pants with armor. Alright, three mishaps in a day is enough for me to throw in the towel. I made my way 40mi home, and emailed in sick with an explanation.

Just got the damage pricing for the bike, and it totals $457.59. Please wish me luck with the guy who hit me, b/c now I'm a little concerned about my incompetence and letting him go w/o a police report. Live and learn.

Ironically, I'm glad all this is happening now, since I bought the bike for $1k, so it's really a minor investment not worth thinking about too much.

Anyone want to see pics? They're not too exciting, but I'm willing if there's interest. One other question. When I lowsided, I completely ignored my own injuries and began to inspect the bike. Anyone else do that before? Seems like I had my priorities a little out of whack.....

Out of commission for a while, kanwisch.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 11:46 AM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
Bring on the pics Homeboy! Pictures are always good.,
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 11:46 AM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
Oh Yeah, get well soon.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by duessel
Oh Yeah, get well soon.
good recovery

sorry to hear about your misfortune. bummer on the lowsiding. kinda puts a damper on filing a claim for getting rear ended, or does it?

glad to hear you're ok

SQUID=Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, & Imminently Dead

Katie has a nice "spice rack".

If you can read this, thank a teacher....If you're reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

Well, not sure what to do about filing. I suppose I should report it, but I'm hesitant b/c of the impact to my insurance. Thoughts?

Here're some pics. As I mentioned, this was pretty darn minor. The motorcycle pic is form the rear-ending, the jeans and knees from the lowsiding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motorcycle rear damage.jpg (35.1 KB, 118 views)

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Last edited by kanwisch; 09-25-2003 at 01:06 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kanwisch
Well, not sure what to do about filing. I suppose I should report it, but I'm hesitant b/c of the impact to my insurance. Thoughts?
the rearending shouldn't matter because it was his fault. but you did say you only paid $1000 for the bike so you probably don't have coverage for your damage anyways.

SQUID=Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, & Imminently Dead

Katie has a nice "spice rack".

If you can read this, thank a teacher....If you're reading this in English, thank a Veteran.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

Wow, that pic sucked. Here's the knee.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg knee injury.jpg (30.2 KB, 110 views)

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

And the jeans. Remember, roughly 5mph, low side, and the gravel went through the jeans like butter. Denim is worthless.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg levis damage.jpg (81.7 KB, 109 views)

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 01:09 PM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Sorry to hear about your mishap, that sucks.

As far as filing a claim, I would imagine that it would have no impact on your rates, as you would not be the "at-fault" driver. Anyway, get better quick!

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

Yeah, I bet you two are right. On the one hand, I don't want him to get screwed by his agency for not filing the claim, but on the other, I don't know how well to trust this guy.

Should I file and just let it go? Or should I wait 24 hours and if he hasn't contacted me, file? Sometimes I feel like too nice a guy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode