new bikes = less fairings - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Question new bikes = less fairings

I wasn't sure what topic to post this under so I tossed it in here.

I was looking at a few older sportbikes on ebay today and it occured to me that they have complete side fairings, where the newer bikes have more frame and mechanical parts(like the tranny or engine cases) exposed. personally I like the fuller fairing and in the case of a spill it might protect the parts better, why do the newer ones have less plastic? and which do you guys like?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 08:26 AM

I'll take the plastics. The twins look ok but I just haven't seen an I-4 that looked better naked. Just my opinion.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 08:31 AM

Re: new bikes = less fairings

Quote:
Originally posted by SilentNEKO
why do the newer ones have less plastic?
i think it has allot to do with cost. plastic is VERY expensive not ony to put on but to fix. there is such a HUGE cost to repair it, just the slightest drop of a bike, it could be considered "totalled" just due to cosmetic damage.

another reason is heat. as you know, the engines tend to generate allot of heat and with less plastic covering them, the cooling properties are much better.

personally, i like the newer looks.

SQUID=Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, & Imminently Dead

Katie has a nice "spice rack".

If you can read this, thank a teacher....If you're reading this in English, thank a Veteran.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 04:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
I like less plastic. In fact, the naked look is starting to grow on me more and more.

ps. monkey, your avatar freaks me out more and more every day.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 05:10 PM

In many cases the newer bikes have ram air induction system that leaves a mess & so plastic around that part. Also so many are coming out with almost cockpit appearances.

The older bikes you are referring to are possibly those with just a 1/2 top fairing & a 1/4 fairing on basically an upright riding bike like the Yamaha FZ-750 & others as they had not really got into partially laying down the powerplant to the carbs or FI bodies pointed straight upright, with no bends on the intake) to the air box.

Some of us use to import our own shell like f/glass fairings in two or three pieces & it made it so easy to remove & get at the power-plant PLUS the f/glass being so tough it could stand a prang or two.

ABS plastic really cannot stand the blows of good f/glass & why most road racing bikes are fitted with f/glass.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

when I say older sportbikes, I don't mean dressed up cafe racers, I mean bikes like:

honda cbr f1 & f2
80's and early 90's ninjas
80's and 90's gsx-r's
katanas
older yzf's

they all had fairings that completely covered the engine and tranny, but not any more, I like the older bike style more.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 08:49 PM

Those plastic fairings are damn heavy, and nowadays all the sportsbike figures quote maximum weight (which is rigged anyway) to lure in the punters. Last weeks 185kg weapon will get smashed at the sales counter by next weeks 182kg class leader. When they go to the trouble of weighing them with no fuel, oil water, or battery then a big slab of plastic can make a lot of difference.

Any wonder why the limited edition Ducatis, Aprilias etc use bag fulls of carbon fibre.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 06:26 AM

I don't think it has to do with wieght cooling or cost, I think it is styling alone, and I hate it.

James.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 09:35 AM

i love bikes with big plastics, late 90's gsxrs, tlrs, ninja750s......

it's either that, or naked bikes, one way or the other, i don't really care for anything in the middle,
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 03:01 PM

Re: new bikes = less fairings

Quote:
Originally posted by SilentNEKO
why do the newer ones have less plastic? and which do you guys like?
Well, which new bike are you talking about? I noticed the same thing and thought about it It's my guess that engineers determined the minimal amount of protection a bike needs to endure high speeds inorder to cut weight as much as possible.

Look at the new R1! That thing's wearing almost nothing compared to its previous generation.

Look at the VFR! A big, bulky (by today's standards) fairing pushes as much air past the bike/rider within reason.

I like a big fairing myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode