Winter Corner speeds - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

Winter Corner speeds

How much do you drop you corner speeds in winter? I drop down about 5 mph on warm tires, and about 8 mph on cold. That is down from my summer speeds in the same corner.

James.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 05:32 PM

James: It is going to depend upon the temperture rather then the word "winter". Then you have something to go by plus chill factor & what might be on the pavement like gravel or sand.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2003, 04:55 AM

Around here the average speed drops between 30-60 mph in winter. Of course it snows every damn day so...You do the math.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2003, 08:56 AM

In my area basically around end of October or early in November it is simply to cold to ride. Freezing temperatures in the morning & right through the day basically put a halt to riding. It no longer becomes the enjoyment of riding & most of us revert to our cages till something like lst part of March & some it will be late or April to early May.

In fact right now many have put their bikes away, but I look September as one of the best riding months of the year, for colours of the leaves are changing & 75% of the tourists have gone.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2003, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

With winter on the way I was just taking another look at my cold weather habbits. Here we are blessed with enough warmth to ride year round bar only ice and snow which is rare and only lasts a few days. I just make it a rule to run down 5 to 8 mph once the daytime temps drop into the 50's, leaning more on the 8 mph end at night when the temp drops. Basicly how much traction do you think we loose when road and air temps drop down into the 50-10 rang? I know that's a large rang, but I find myself riding through those ranges every winter. I've never lost a tire on clean pavement at those temps, so I just don't know how much the traction drops on cold pavement.

James.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 02:42 AM

Not at all unless it's raining, I just drop the tyre pressures a tad to compensate.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 08:46 AM

I use to drop the tyre pressure when I noted the road racing track was wet & it helped quite a bit AND do it when I note it has started to pour rain when I am on my back stretch of a ride. Still how many carry air pressure gauges with them for it is an old habit with me? Especially with the types on tyres we had in the late 40s to well into the 60s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode