ok, some quick CCT questions, plz help - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

ok, some quick CCT questions, plz help

Aight, i know you all are sick of talkin about it prolly, but, I've been reading alot on these CCT's

I have a F4i and at 5200-5600 rpm range, i hear rattling/pinging or whatever you want to call it.

1) Is there a way to adjust the stock one?

2) What damage can be done? 2a) would it be fine if i kept it above or below that certain rpm range, or is it risky at all times?

3) Should i go with the manual APE CCT?

4) The original owner had a ext. warr. till '05. Is this covered at all?

Thats all the questions i had right now, please let me know anything being that im a no0b and dont like disconnecting many things cuz ill prolly forget or put it back wrong.

OH, 5) Is it simply taking tank off, unbolting, rebolting, the riding. Or is there anything that needs to be adjusted or anything special?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 07:04 AM

YES.........Go with the APE

I have a '01 that sounded like you poored a 1000 bb's into the motor and i had the ape installed = perfect. My dealer wouldn't even replace the stock one with the "improved j22" because they said they are junk also. I would recomend just spending the extra bucks and getting it done right with the APE. As far as install goes, I didn't do it because I didn't really have time to tear the bike down, but I read in several places it is a 2.5 hour job if you know what your doing and have all the right equipment. My dealer verified this, it took them just over 2.5 hours.

Let me know if you have anymore questions
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 07:46 AM

I am an expert on the CCT because I have been listening to mine for over 10,000 miles. I just ordered the APE. Cost just about the same as the J22 "fix" from Honda. I have heard many people say they have had the J22 go out too. I feel like Honda got one chance so now I'll try the APE. Install looks like a handfull but is doable. There is a step-by-step (with pictures ) in the tutorial section of cbrworld.net. I'll let you know how mine goes when the APE gets here.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 05:12 AM

Mine did the same exact thing. I have an 02 and I installed the APE manual tentioner and havent had any problems since. Just dont expect the project to take 30 minutes. YOu will need alot of time and patience because adjusting the things is one of the hardest things to do. Plus it didnt help that I didnt have all the right tools. You`ll know what I mean when you go to install it. Whatever you do...make sure you tighten the set bolt or whatever its called becuase I guess I didnt tighten it enough and when Itried it out...the thing went totally loose on me and I thought for sure my cam chain was going to jump a tooth.

If you need any advice...you can ask...I`v already been there and I`m just a rookie mechanic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode