Need faster bike - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2003, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Need faster bike

Hi, I just bought a ninja 250 about 3 weeks ago. This is my 1st bike and already I want to buy a faster bike. The bike is just too slow for me. What kind of bike could I get for $2500? Any 500cc or 600cc bikes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2003, 09:39 PM

I think there's a Catch-22 kinda deal that applies here. In Heller's novel about a WWII bomber squadron, an airman could be sent home before completing his 50 missions if he were crazy. But there was a catch: Anyone who wanted to get the hell out of there and get back home was obviously sane enough to be concerned for his own well-being and therefore not crazy enough to be sent home. As Yossarian said, "That's some catch, that Catch-22."

Likewise with riding, if you're so desperate for more horsepower that you want to trade in a perfectly good 250 Ninja after 3 weeks, you haven't yet learned enough to respect and use the machine's capabilities and, thus, are not yet ready to move up to a faster bike. Spend another few months developing your skills. Ride twisty roads regularly, practice braking and countersteering and looking where you want to go, get comfortable leaning the bike. Maybe pick up a copy of Nick Ienatsch's Sport Riding Techniques or Lee Parks' Total Control and do some of the drills they suggest for improving visual skills, braking, steering, and throttle control. Until you've got some miles under your belt and possess the skills needed to get the most out of the bike, the last thing you need is more power to compensate for skills you don't yet have.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2003, 09:59 PM

Thumbs down

Been riding for years and since my curbmonkey g-friend doesnít want the 250 I bought for her, Iíve been riding it since my beater craped out itís bearings....

Seems to get me around fine and sees triple digits on the track.... Yup... it's bone stock...

Stick with it an learn...

I'll Sleep when I'm Dead....

Spread the love. Literally.

My hoes are motivated and my teeth are gold plated

Friends help you move...
Real friends help you move bodies!

ďNext time I want to borrow your balls, IíLL ASK!!!!Ē

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 08:36 AM

i had a friend who had a 01 250ex, she rode it balls out and it kept up with my 900 and a friends r1 on the street just fine, definitly taught her to be a better rider, it dosent have the acceleration of a liter bike, but it can and will go up to 120 if needed, i saw it
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 09:31 AM

Like Dan & others I suggest you ride the bike longer & really get to know the pros & cons of the bike, get to the point that everything is so automatic that you do not have to think of what to do EVEN in an emergency to save self & bike. THEN you are in a position to step up to more power.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 02:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
Re: Need faster bike

Quote:
Originally posted by mofolife
Hi, I just bought a ninja 250 about 3 weeks ago. This is my 1st bike and already I want to buy a faster bike. The bike is just too slow for me. What kind of bike could I get for $2500? Any 500cc or 600cc bikes?
I hate to go against everyone else here but i had a srx 250 for exactly 2 weeks and one day. Being an experienced dirt rider, the bike just didn't do it for me. After the 2 weeks, i sold it for what i bought it for and bought a 600.

I'm not sure there's alot out there for that price. Maybe a honda f3?

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 02:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to ga_skyline_rydr Send a message via Yahoo to ga_skyline_rydr
Re: Re: Need faster bike

Quote:
Originally posted by Tippmann
I hate to go against everyone else here but i had a srx 250 for exactly 2 weeks and one day. Being an experienced dirt rider, the bike just didn't do it for me. After the 2 weeks, i sold it for what i bought it for and bought a 600.

I'm not sure there's alot out there for that price. Maybe a honda f3?
Yeah you like to go against everyone else, just to stir up the dust. hehe

Me Big Brother, me watching you

skylinerydr- where the ground meets the sky

Today is the day of the beginning of your life, ride safe
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 11:30 PM

Re: Need faster bike

Quote:
Originally posted by mofolife

I just ran a track day today and the best session I had was CHASING (desperately hanging on chasing I mean) a racer on a ex250 that he runs cause it's cheap on tires. Funny as hell on the 2 straights with me on my 1k tucked in behind John as he rung the fuck out of his 250 with others FLYING past us. I wouldn't pass him though. After that session I had a serious understanding on THE line at Spring Mountain.

Ride the 250 you

Bikes are about cornering and that thing can WAIL in the right hands
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 12:58 AM

i rode a 250 for a year and a half, i always wanted more power but i still always had a ton of fun on the bike, if you think it's not fast enough just start taking twistier roads, i know in traffic it's not what you'd dream of, but on back roads by yourself it doesn't matter
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 06:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
Quote:
Originally posted by Gottico
... since my curbmonkey g-friend ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode