how do you all drive at 50ish? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2003, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

how do you all drive at 50ish?

Just wonderin if u drivin in the city, say 30 to 50, do you all just go ahead and shift into 6th or keep it in a lower gear and make it stay w/in a certain RPM range??

Just wonderin whats the best way to do this...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2003, 02:32 PM

I would images that you want to keep the RPM bassicly like you would in a car. at 30 mph in town do you drive around in 5th gear? I don't I use 3rd and 4th. 5th is to high. I know on my dirt bike if I'm in 6th cursing around slow like 20 25mph. You will feel the bike kind of kick around. its an odd feeling. I don't think you would want that on the street. ALso if your RPMS are way down it ellimates one of your outs. that 1/4 it takes you to shift down a gear to get out of the way of that jack ass thats about rearend you, could make the difference.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2003, 02:34 PM
jab

When I'm riding at those speeds im usually in 2nd or 3rd gear. That way Ive still got plenty of torque to move around quickly and Im a fan of engine braking. Generally keep my rpms bewtween 6 and 8 grand. My bike redlines at around 15,500 so this is not putting to much uneeded stress on my engine either, Not sure what bike you ride but any modern 4 should be in the same ballpark.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2003, 04:54 PM

So much depends upon what sort of m/c, what size in cc, its lowest RPM for torque & such.

You have a Honda 600 CBF4i & compared to my '97 Yamaha YZF600r with better mid-range power I can be down to 3 to 4 grand in 2nd or 3rd cog when in town while with my Honda 929 with torque at low revs (common to so many 900 to 1000cc bikes) & up I can be in 3 to 4 grand as well & again in 2nd or 3rd cog. Your 600 will require higher revs otherwise you will be LUGGING the engine & that is bad for it---which means down in the cogs to around 1st or 2nd.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2003, 05:30 PM

Re: how do you all drive at 50ish?

Quote:
Originally posted by aparis99
Just wonderin if u drivin in the city, say 30 to 50, do you all just go ahead and shift into 6th or keep it in a lower gear and make it stay w/in a certain RPM range??

Just wonderin whats the best way to do this...
6th???? Under 50mph I wouldn't even be in 5th!!!....4th probably puts you at about the meat of your rev range...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2003, 06:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to wantanaprilia
My bike does 50 at around 7,500-8,000 in 2nd gear, I think, so I would probly be in third gear. What kind of city are you riding in that you can safely do 50mph, anyway? When I think of cities, I think of traffic, pedestrians, and stop lights on every corner, I sure wouldn`t want to be doing 50 in one (for saftey and police reasons)...

Look . . . the people you are after are the people you depend on. We cook your meals, we haul your trash, we connect your calls, we drive your ambulances, we guard you while you sleep. Do not fu|< with us.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2003, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Let me rephrase, What is ur rpm and gear at say... 60-65 mph, highway speed??

theres alot of diff in 30 to 50...

I have been keeping them somewhat high, over 5000...

So if ur drivin on the highway what gear would you be in and what rpm range would you stay in?

BTW, my city is not crowded, but the population density is quite low, and most roads are 45, some inner city roads are 35, and longer roads are 55.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2003, 09:40 PM

Highway driving style is a bit different. Not going to be too many quick moves or suprises. I keep it in 6th on the highway.

As far as city travel, you want to be able to accel. quickly or be in a good range for quick, suden movements. You should stay lower 3rd and 4th. Maybe 5th at 50 MPH. A good rule to follow is staying at the bottom end of your powerband. That way you have the ability to get out of "sitiations" if needed.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 06:44 AM

I'm usually at about 7-7500rpms on the highway. On my bike thats only 4th gear, and it has me at about 75-80mph....if its a long distance I might kick it into 5th, usually 5th and 6th are for triple digit speeds. This is a 998cc twin, so I would think on an inline four 600 you'd be revving AT LEAST that high, if not higher!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 09:07 AM

On the hwy it is not uncommon for me to be churning along in 5th cog at 6 to 8 grand which is well above the speed limit
for my 600 & most fours like to hum along at higher revs. Same with my 929 After all they are not big piston throwing V-twins. Only that means they are eating more fuel but it is good to let the the engines scoot along in a rev range that is more suiting for them. When I feel(?) no cops are around then I really let the engines rev up to red line & hold for a while just 2 grand down from said red line.

If you checked your gearing you will probably find that the gap between 5th & 6th is quite close compared to the 1st up to 5th ----- proof that the bikes were geared that way so one can go down one cog from top without any strain on the power-plant. Reason is they realize you might be going a decent pace & revs when you want to get by a vehicle or two & rather then put the load on the engine with throttle only, one simply goes down a cog & has a power-plant that is a lot more flexible in said 5th gear. OTHERWISE you would only find the bike with a 4 or 5 speed cog box & less cost to the makers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode