New Pipes...OOO-YEA! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

New Pipes...OOO-YEA!

Sheesh the EPA noise emission certified pipes on the Futura made it sound about as sporty as our Kirby Vacuum Cleaner. I had but one choice in pipes, Staintunes, made in Australia. (no one else makes pipes for the Futura)

WOW! Superb quality for one thing, and dead nuts simple installation. Lovely polished stainless steel and weld that are an artform. Ahhh the sound The job took a couple hours (underseat exhaust and saddlebags) but no problems.

It's amazing how much the simple change in sound can make the riding experience so much better. The bike isn't really very loud, just a nice rumble, but it sure feels better riding it now. I sure love the sound of a V-Twin & those of you who know my history truly understand

So, how much of the riding experience is based on the sound for you? The wail of an I-4 on the pipe, the soulfull howl of a triple, or the thunder of a twin? (Yea, ok the thump of a single too, and I won't diss the 6's, they're in a different world altogether)

Our greatest challenge in life is living up to our own potential.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 06:13 AM

Hmm, was that your Futura at Pocono this past Tuesday? There was one with Staintunes riding about in white group...sounded really good.

The sound is a big part of the riding experience I think...I am partial to V4s and V-twins, but few things are as exciting (for me anyhow) as a multi-cylinder 2-stroke wailing out of a corner Heard a mid-80's Yamaha RZ500 square-4 at Pocono...that thing was unreal!! Wish I'd gotten some audio clips...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 07:08 AM

The stealth note is the one I prefer.

This goes against those that like a nice rumble to those that like something shattering.
You have to ride a m/c to where the exhaust note is about the same sound as the wheels on the pavement.
I assembled such a bike back in '47 & sold it to an elderly person, later found that same one & bought it from the old chap that retired, rebuilt it & rode it, as a probable vintage bike, up untill I was in dire need of money to keep my farm going in '66.
You find your neighbours asking if it is electrically driven & many other strange questions.
The bike was a '47 LE Vellocete 175cc SV flat opposed liquid cooled twin, with shaft drive, s/arm suspension & chassie instead of normal frame. Crumbs it was even hand starting & 3-speed hand shift, but so quite one could hear the breaker points clicking away.
Obviously this is why I prefer to leave the exhaust systems on my bikes stock, YET as one that was deep into dirt comp & road racing I have heard a lot of LOUD bikes --legit on the circuits.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 07:14 AM

Loud pipes are legit on the street too. Lots of times cars don't see you, so you may as well make sure they hear you. That's the reason I'm upgrading to a louder pipe....sick of being forced out of my lane. I can't hear my own bike at speed, and neither can the cars. They will now!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Can't say as I agree with the "Load Pipes Save Lives" philosophy, as auto sound insulation is so good these days that folks can't hear a firetruck on their bumper

I'm more favorable towards a nice rich exhaust note. I've always loved the sound of engines, the larger the better. That's not to say a set of drag pipes on a Harley is necessarily music to my ears at 2 am.

The Reno air races are coming up soon and there are few engines that captivate me like the 12 cyl. Rolls Royce Merlin engines in the P-51's. Auditory Nirvana. The combination of the monsterous 12 cylinders and the whine of the superchargers is a mechanical symphony.

Quote:
Hmm, was that your Futura at Pocono this past Tuesday? There was one with Staintunes riding about in white group...sounded really good.
Not me, the commute to the Pocono's is a tad far from the Sierras But I suspect the bikes sound about the same.

So...What's your favorite engine sound?

Our greatest challenge in life is living up to our own potential.

Last edited by Tahoe; 08-23-2002 at 08:18 AM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 10:42 AM

Tahoe,

You have great taste in bikes!!!I think the futura is one sweet bike. At Laconia, my buddy, who was racing in ametuer class, was setup right ion front of the aprilia stand....Very pleasing to the eyes, to say the least....Good luck with it!!!!!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 07:25 PM

"Loud pipes save lives" are only for those that believe in it.
If you drive a cage you do NOT hear the loud pipes when they are behind you, just as they are right at your driver side or when in front of you AND that is fact!!!!!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
"Loud pipes save lives" are only for those that believe in it.
If you drive a cage you do NOT hear the loud pipes when they are behind you, just as they are right at your driver side or when in front of you AND that is fact!!!!!
So very true as anyone who has been caught off guard in their cage by a passing bike can attest.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 06:27 AM

Hey I agree with you guys....for the most part, but I'm actually talking about the situation where you're side by side with a car and they don't even check out their frikken window! It's happened to me way too often.....DC area drivers SUCK! No one bothers looking over their shoulders, they just start changing lanes right into you. I'm not talking about the situation where you're overtaking a car, or flying up on someones ass. Close enough to their window that they will hear it.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 11:20 AM

i too live in DC and i have LOUD pipes (have needed to repack to return to sane acoustics, but im really lazy) but i rarely have problems with drivers merging into my lane. i think that it ahs something to do with how i ride.

i am a tod on the aggressive side. my aggressive tendencies are:
1) travel a little faster than traffic. this keeps me constantyl passing cars and only being in blindspots for a split second.
2) when behind a cage, position the bike so that you can see the drivers face in their driverside mirror. most drivers check their mirrors only, so if i can see them, they cann see me.
3) stay in the left lane on the highway. less chance od some idiot trying to make an exit at the last minute.
4) dont split lanes. ive been "nudged" and dropped a bike doing that.
5) stay out of blind spots. if you have to travel nex to a cage for an extended period (can pass due to traffic) try to position your bike next to the drivers door or far enough back so that if they swerve into your lane you are behind them.
6) dont tailgate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode