front tire pinching in while turning - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

front tire pinching in while turning

for some reason it feels like when i take a sharp turn at slow to moderate speed the front wheel wants to turn in really hard. I just got my bike back from the shop who straightened everything out, and i was wondering if this feeling is normal? I don't remember it feeling like this before my accident and getting it repaired. Does this happen when you adjust the steering to make it more twards racing?

thanks,

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 01:02 PM

Check tyre pressure & if not that you will have to go back on what work was done on the bike, that could be not done correctly.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 01:02 PM
Founder

What did the shop repair/replace on your bike?

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

basically i crashed, and took it to Gmd computrack. They said they straightended the triple clamps, subframe, inner fork tubes, rear swing arm, and replaced the steering head bearings. I also had the wheel straightened by Dr. John's.

I posted this the other day when i just got my bike back from GMD

Quote:
Basically I crashed my bike and took it to GMD computrack and just got it back on Saturday. They say when a bike leaves computrack that itís better than how it left the manufacturer. Well my problem is that it feels a lot different than when it did before my accident. Before my accident when going at reasonable pace 15-35 the bike would hold a straight line really easy when I took my hands off the bars. Now when I take my hands off the bars and lean just a tad in one direction the bike wants to dive in that direction. What could this be? Also I noticed before the accident when taking turns at a slow mph I was using more counter-steering, and now affter my accident when taking the same turns as before, with same speed, I feel myself handle bar steering. Can someone give me some insight on if this quicker response is a benefit or is there still some problem with my bike?
I don't mean to keep asking questions i'm just trying to figure out if these things i'm feeling are good or bad. I kinda have the assumption that a race bike would be totaly set up different than a street bike; so i'm kinda thinking they repositioned the forks in the triple clamps giving the bike a different feel, but better high speed handleing capabilties. But in the lower speeds you loose some of the stability.

feel free to comment.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by work765
basically i crashed, and took it to Gmd computrack. They said they straightended the triple clamps, subframe, inner fork tubes, rear swing arm, and replaced the steering head bearings. I also had the wheel straightened by Dr. John's.

I posted this the other day when i just got my bike back from GMD

I don't mean to keep asking questions i'm just trying to figure out if these things i'm feeling are good or bad. I kinda have the assumption that a race bike would be totaly set up different than a street bike; so i'm kinda thinking they repositioned the forks in the triple clamps giving the bike a different feel, but better high speed handleing capabilties. But in the lower speeds you loose some of the stability.

feel free to comment.
Repositioning the forks to set it up for the track would involve steepening the head angle, which would make it turn faster at any speed. It also makes it more prone to tankslappers, but you're not complaining about that. I don't think that's related to your change in low speed handling, as a quick turning track bike will also be a quick turning commuter bike.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

well i just checked the tire preasure and it was 36psi, so i have eliminated that from the problem.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 04:24 PM

Lightbulb

Sounds like a dilemma!

I have a real close friend that builds Miguel Duhamel's AMA 600SS and Superbikes. He is a factory player besides his own one man show.

He can be contacted @ 909.553.3820! His name is Woody! He has his stuff locked down.

My opinion from a position of experience...............Sounds like there is something else defective within the front-end clip. The ONLY way to find the problem is to do a "complete" front-end tear down!

Hope This Helps!

Johnny
Team No Limit Racing &#169 1996-2002
http://www,teamnolimitracing.com
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 06:23 PM
Lifetime Premium

I had that exact problem once but it didn't result from a crash so I may be off base but what happened to me was ply seperation. At a decent cornering speed, the edge of the front tire was pulling off the carcass and inward towards the inside of the turn. It heavily oversteered the front end. I changed the tire and it went away... Did they give you a new tire? I hate to say it's another 100 bucks when I'm not sure but you could have hammered the tire during impact.

Fairing repair / Plastic Welding / Gas Tank Repair / Fabrication and Customization
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or s3sportbikes.com
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 06:52 PM

I agree with Chris, When ever something feels wrong with your bike, replace the tires, and it usually goes away. Also, 36 PSI is way too high, unless you weigh like 500 pounds. You should be running about 31 to 34 PSI. Having the tire pressure too high will change the way it steers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode