POlice Vs the Visor???? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

POlice Vs the Visor????

So a couple weeks ago a riding buddy of mine got pulled over for having her visor up, i thought to myself this cop is full of it he can not give a ticket for this, there is no way in hell it would stick.

well this past wednesday i was riding my bike with my visor up and sure enough as i past a BIKE COP he dam near lost his blance trying to get his harley to move so he could pull me over. i knew i had not done anything wrong so i did everything he asked.

he got this realy pissed off attitude and proceeded to lecture me about having my visor down at all times. i am sorry but if it is hot i am going to put up my visor. it is just like saying you can not take the doors off of your jeep, or you can not roll the windows down in your cage. this really really pissed me off and i just wanted to know your thoughts on the subject

feb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 09:38 PM

In arizona, there is no helmet law, but there is an eye protection law. You can have your visor up if you have eye protection on underneath. Not only is it the law, its a damn good idea. My friend learned the hard way a few weeks ago, and had to have a splinter removed from his eyeball.

The laws the law, and this one is a damn good idea.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 09:43 PM
Resident Smart Ass!

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester
Talking In Cali....

In Cali there is a helmet law. That is it though really. You can have your visor up, or not even have one at all.

There should be a law about wearing a tank top, shorts and sandals on a bike.... but that's another story.

Help control the squid population, have your squid spayed or neutered

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their head out of car windows.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 08:29 AM

In Florida we also have the eye protection law. I think you'd be OK if wearing sunglasses under the visor. I couldn't ride without some form of eye protection. Years ago I got caught in the rain when I had ridden off without my glasses. (I had a 3/4 helmet at the time) Anyway, I had to stop as the rain felt like needles hitting my eyeballs and it hurt like hell!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 08:35 AM

Louisiana is the same way. No helmet law, but you do have to wear "proper" eye wear. I don't know if regular off-the-shelf sunglasses fall under the "proper" category. From all of the bugs on my visor and hearing the others bounce off of the helmet, there is no way I would ride without eye protection. I guess the guy in this story has reflexes quick enough to dodge bugs, rocks, and other airborne debris.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 01:20 PM

NEW one to me.

It must be something about EYE PROTECTION, but in my case I wear glasses (in fact hardened glass ones) & I am sure if others had different tinted or even clean protective eye wear that would be the answer.
STILL I would want to know how the law or rules stand on this one.
Most I keep my visor up is just one click from the bottom, when I am in town on the slow city streets & it is HOT!!!!
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 01:39 PM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
I'm with Smitty, I keep mine down unless I am going about 30 or under, and then only if it is hot out. I've never heard of the eye protection laws, but I do think they are good. I wear contacts, so riding without anything covering my eyes would just blow them out, which is not conducive to my "rubber side down" style of riding.
Bugs aren't too bad out here, but when I was in Indiana...man, there's nothing like a good old Midwestern swarm of bugs to make you keep your face, neck, body, arms, legs, etc. covered. It was especially bad at night. I would assume it's the same in any country area. Near the cities it wasn't so bad.
The other thing I hated was wind! Again, the contacts thing. Just north of Indianapolis there is little to nothing to slow the wind down at all. I'm not a small guy, and it used to blow me all over the road. At least out here there are hills and stuff.
Oh well, rant over...Ride Safe!!

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by spicersh
I'm with Smitty, I keep mine down unless I am going about 30 or under, and then only if it is hot out. I've never heard of the eye protection laws, but I do think they are good. I wear contacts, so riding without anything covering my eyes would just blow them out, which is not conducive to my "rubber side down" style of riding.
Bugs aren't too bad out here, but when I was in Indiana...man, there's nothing like a good old Midwestern swarm of bugs to make you keep your face, neck, body, arms, legs, etc. covered. It was especially bad at night. I would assume it's the same in any country area. Near the cities it wasn't so bad.
The other thing I hated was wind! Again, the contacts thing. Just north of Indianapolis there is little to nothing to slow the wind down at all. I'm not a small guy, and it used to blow me all over the road. At least out here there are hills and stuff.
Oh well, rant over...Ride Safe!!
on a totally not very related subject... but that post reminded me, last night i took a locust, or a june bug - who knows the right pinky... fack!.. that hurt like nobodies business, and i still can't feel my pinky from the middle knuckle to the tip, its just tingly when you touch it, no real feeling... stupid freaking bugs... just wait til the love bugs come out in spring.. bah..
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 02:04 PM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Quote:
Originally posted by cmd954

on a totally not very related subject... but that post reminded me, last night i took a locust, or a june bug - who knows the right pinky... fack!.. that hurt like nobodies business, and i still can't feel my pinky from the middle knuckle to the tip, its just tingly when you touch it, no real feeling... stupid freaking bugs... just wait til the love bugs come out in spring.. bah..
LOL That sucks!!

I think my worst one was a bumble-bee, big fat juicy one, right in the throat at about 35-40mph. That sucked ass! ANytime I rode outside the city after that I was tucked in behind the screen (or as well as I could being a 6'2" fatass on an F4)

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 02:24 PM

Was riding in Chicago a few hours after it rained... had my visor up and a wet leaf ( yes, a leaf ) flew in and smacked me in the face. I closed my eye but I had the red outline of a leaf on the left side of my face for the rest of the day. Hurt like hell. Now I wear glasses if I'm going to have my visor up.

-quikie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode