New Rubber.... suggestions? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb New Rubber.... suggestions?

Thinkin' about putting new rubber on my 98 zx6e bike. What would you suggest and why? I don't ride real aggressive, mostly around town too. Maybe a trip (3-5 hours) every now and then. Anyone have "continental" on their bike? A local shop recommended it as a great tire w/o the high price tag, if I wasn't going to ride too aggressive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 12:30 AM

i had a set of contenentals on my 10 speed...didnt know they made real tires...anyway sign up so i can win..
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 03:00 AM

Hmmm..

I would be suspicious of any shop reccomending Continental tires. Not because they aren't any good, but they are unproven. this is the first year Continental has gotten into making modern motorcycle tires. I personally would be concerned they are simply trying to sell you something they are a dealer for. I could be wrong, they personally may have installed lots of them to 100's of satisfied customers, but I recently bought tires myself ( I prefer Michelins) and I was discussing the new Continental tires at 2 local shops near me, and they were all saying basically the same thing: Good price, but an unknown- I would feel better reccomending a more proven brand.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

I trust this shop explicitly, but I do agree with you about waiting on something to be "tried and true". They carry all the major mfg's, I had not heard much about the Continental.

Thanks so far for the input.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 06:53 PM

I just put Metzeler Sportec M1s on my bike about 120 miles ago. So far I like them. Good grip, the handling feels a bit quicker, and the overall ride feels smoother. 'Course I must admit the old ones were pretty shagged (Bridgestone BT56s), but the new ones feel much better. Man I love newly broken in tires in the twisties!!!!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 07:31 PM

Re: New Rubber.... suggestions?

Quote:
Originally posted by KneeDragger98ZX
Thinkin' about putting new rubber on my 98 zx6e bike. What would you suggest and why? I don't ride real aggressive, mostly around town too. Maybe a trip (3-5 hours) every now and then. Anyone have "continental" on their bike? A local shop recommended it as a great tire w/o the high price tag, if I wasn't going to ride too aggressive.
I'll be putting a matching set of continental this week. The rep that sells them swore to my brother that they will hold their own with any top sport model on the market.
But I'm not taking his word for it. I'm putting them on thinking that if they suck they will only suck till the winter, then I'll put on something else.
And since my bro works at the shop I'll be getting a killer deal, they will also be knocking of a few more bucks for me being the "guinea pig" so to speak.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2002, 07:43 PM

I have a set of continentals on my bike now. I've had both tires break lose on me. There hard tires, but milage is fair. I won't have another set
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 10:07 AM

Why not Metzler MEZ3's. They got an EXCELLENT write up inm the last bike mag....Probably the best bang for the buck, next to the dunlop D207...I PERSONALLY didn't like the d207's...But my bike is a sport tourer...never felt right. I right the livin piss out of my MEZ4's , but they don't get REALLY sticky until the air temp is 80degrees...Well, that's just MY OPINION>
Othert than that I LOVE THE TIRES...I may go to the mez 3s as my riding habits have changed...I no longer commute "eleventy" miles to work on the bike. They do stick very nicely ebven in the rain...It's ONLY when it's cool out ,that I do not feel comfortable pushinmg it all the way... I wear them within a 1/2 an inch of the edge on my big clumsy RF900...;-) Good luck
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 10:37 AM

Bridgestone BT-56 Type-SS

http://www.cycledepot.net ( very nice guys )

I bought them for my SV and they are fantastic. Every bit as good as the D207 ZRs I used to have. Rode them on the street, did 3 track days with them... just a great tire. They cost ~ $175 for a set, you just can't beat that.

-quikie
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 11:08 AM

Avon Azaro II's

I use the Azaro rubber on my Katana and so far have over 10K miles on them. They have never slipped in the twisties, and rain gives me no problems. Everyone I know who has used them have been impressed and they are cheaper than Dunlops.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode