fears after wreck - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 04:25 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy fears after wreck

hey guys, this is to you guys who have wrecked your bikes, as most of you know after a several year break I bought a bike, actually 2 but now I just have the cb750, well 3 days after I got the bike I had a spill after hitting an oil slick. broke my wrist and got some minor rash, banged up the bike a bit to, well got the bike running again and now I'm almost afriad of it. when I wrecked I mabe the choice to lay it down rather then flip over the curb, and jumped up right after the wreck took it to the shop still bleeding just to make sure it will be ok. but now I've been taking short trips around the hood on it and I'm really nervouse riding it, maybe its because its not running right, it idles at 4-5k, that will be fixed soon. heres the deal, driving striaght I'm ok but never get above 40mph, but as soon as a small curve comes up I freak out and down shift to the point where I'm doing 20 in a 45mph zone, when I had the gsxr it was more confidence inspiring, but damn uncoftable and since I was looking for work transportation it had to go. what can I do to get over this, how long did it take you guys who wrecked to fully get back in the saddle? I'm no wimp by any means, but smacking the pavement again doesn't sound very appealing to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 05:40 AM

After I wrecked, it took me a couple months to get back to a comfortable feeling. Just hang in there and your comfort will slowly come back, push a little harder everyday.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

I've only had the bike running again now for a few days, I needed a new battery. I'm trying but I get so nervous, It may not help that my bike sputters and bucks during the turn either

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 06:27 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
if the msf course is free, show up and take it again (as a walk-in). you need to regain your confidence. and a spitting, sputtering bike won't do that. it's too many inputs for you to deal with right away.

i don't think you're a wuss, you're just a guy who doesn't wanna crash a bike. it happens. it takes time. everyone says that you need to get right back on that horse. but if the horse is a bucking bronco, it isn't gonna help.

get the bike fixed right. it seems like your mechanic needs some work as well.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

well for right now I am the mechanic , unfortunatly the msf caorse is only offered on the weekends and its almost 200 bucks, thats alot of money I don't have right now. as far as getting the bike to stop bucking I have an appointment with my local shop next week to tune up the carbs, after that everything should be cool, I just need to repair the headlight, just stopped working when I put the new battery in, but its not the bulb, must be a short
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 07:03 AM

When I wadded up (both the bike and me), it took a month to heal enough to be able to even get on a bike (broken ribs SUCK). By then I'd had a lot of time to think. I crashed because of a tire failure. It took me some time to trust the bike again. I think the best thing you could do is get the bike properly repaired. Once you know the bike is operating right, It'll come back a lot faster.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 08:04 AM

With experience in riding ------

---such a thing will NOT bother you.
I put a lot of thanks to doing so much dirt comp & often I was practicing & racing with a cast still on an arm or leg ---- mind you in some occasions the Clerk of the event would stop me from racing that injured & I would be stinking mad, but later on realize he was correct.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 11:41 AM

When I wiped out on my dirtbike last year, It was a LONG time before I would even get back on...2 months of it were me NOT being able to stand up straight. Pulled EVERY damn muscle in my back and REALLY yanked my tailbone muscle...Strange muscle to pull huh???You gotta just eas back into it and then you'll be kicking ass again...remember...nice and easy...niiiccceee and eeaasy....:-)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 07:55 PM

After I crashed last year (highside off a corner) I was a bit nervous. I was off the bike for 6 weeks due to a broken arm in a cast. When I got back on, I had to take things slow for awhile. It took some time to be able to trust myself and the bike fully again. Take it slow, fix the bike, work on your riding, and you will get over it.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 08:25 PM

I high sided into a curve on July 7th this year. Once I realized I didnt break anything and made sure the bike wasnt leaking anything, I rode it 3 hours back home. I was nervous as hell but I was 3 hours away and I needed to get back home. I'd get back on it now but I jsut havent had time to fix it yet. I also took the MSF course last week, so im just not as nervous now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode