Tiwst of the Wrist DVD - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Resident Smart Ass!

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester
Thumbs up Tiwst of the Wrist DVD

Well, I got the Twist of the Wrist DVD yesterday, watched it last night and tried out what I learned today. Stinkin sweet is all I can say for it. Had one of, if not my best ride since I started riding.

I decided that I did not have to work until 1 that I would try what I learned, sooooooooooo here goes (Hope you like stories)...

I left the house around 10 and headed for the hills. Instead of my usual route I went a different one. Hauled arse through the twisties faster and more confident than ever before. Got 20 miles out of town and decided to go for more.

Hauled arse again up a hill into a sweeping left turn, got nice and close to the inside of the turn, see a Suburban coming my way pulling a travel trailer, the cage had those wide mirrors that extended out 3 feet on either side. Of course my head is aimed right for the mirror on the driver's side. Let off the throttle and pulled to the right, cleared it.

Got about 15 miles further and got into some tighter turns, went into a right hander and slowly drifted into the opposite lane a bit.. , got her fixed and back in my lane. Not 2 seconds later a cage came from the other way, that was a little too close.

Coming home I got on a nice looooooooong straight away, could not open it up though, to many cages. Got around them all, finally. Looked to the skies for and piggy choppers, none in site . Opened it up and tucked in behind the windscreen. I could not even hear the wind! All I heard and felt was the bike. The purr of the engine is a great thing when you hear it and feel it. Got her up to 120, then I got stuck behind more cages .

Got about 1/4 mile from home, got a cramp on the back of my leg. Glad it was on my home though.

A few things I found that were my weakness was that I would think about too many other things besides my ride, not pushing enough in the turns and not using my throttle through the turns.

Once I cleared my mind and focused on the ride, I enjoyed in 100% more than before. The video did teach me allot, granted it was geared allot towards track more than street. I would recommend it for anyone that wants to be a better rider and most of all.... enjoy their ride!!!

Help control the squid population, have your squid spayed or neutered

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 10:06 PM

where did u get it and how much?!?!??!!?
i got the book and would love the dvd!!!
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Resident Smart Ass!

Exclamation Hmmm

Check your local bike shops. I went to 3 different one's and finally found it at Cycle Gear. You might be able to get it online. I got it for $29. Worth every penny too.

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 06:47 AM

Thanks for the info. I've been waiting for a video to come out like this one. One thing though. Don't forget, watching a video is great for learning techniques, but one thing everyone still needs to do is practice.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 08:20 AM

A few things I found that were my weakness was that I would think about too many other things besides my ride, not pushing enough in the turns and not using my throttle through the turns.
yea...pushing harder thru turns really sounds like a good idea, considering the following....
, got her fixed and back in my lane. Not 2 seconds later a cage came from the other way, that was a little too close

and...

Of course my head is aimed right for the mirror on the driver's side. Let off the throttle and pulled to the right, cleared it.

let me thank you in advance for raising my insurance rates and adding to the "sportbikers are so stupid" attitude of most cops and EMTs. I have a feeling you're going to crash very soon riding like this and I really feel sorry for the family of four that you might take out. I do hope you start to get some respect for other people's safety soon. VERY soon.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 09:02 AM

Re: Tiwst of the Wrist DVD

Quote:
Originally posted by Jester
Hauled arse again up a hill into a sweeping left turn, got nice and close to the inside of the turn, see a Suburban coming my way pulling a travel trailer, the cage had those wide mirrors that extended out 3 feet on either side. Of course my head is aimed right for the mirror on the driver's side...

Got about 15 miles further and got into some tighter turns, went into a right hander and slowly drifted into the opposite lane a bit...

Rather than trying to increase turn speed, may I suggest slowing down a little so you can work on technique. Both mistakes you describe--cutting an apex too tight and running wide at the exit--are caused by what Code calls "lazy steering", turning in too early and too gradually. And excessive speed (for skill level) is often the cause.

The turn approaches faster than you're accustomed to, and you react by steering earlier than you should. Instead of turning in earlier, you should turn in at the same place you would at slower speed but harder. As you improve your turn-in point selection and steering, your speed will increase naturally, without pushing yourself to speed you're not ready for.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Resident Smart Ass!

Quote:
Originally posted by schpreck

Of course my head is aimed right for the mirror on the driver's side. Let off the throttle and pulled to the right, cleared it.

let me thank you in advance for raising my insurance rates and adding to the "sportbikers are so stupid" attitude of most cops and EMTs. I have a feeling you're going to crash very soon riding like this and I really feel sorry for the family of four that you might take out. I do hope you start to get some respect for other people's safety soon. VERY soon. [/B]
Gee thanks for..... well nothing.

First off, if you would have read what I posted you would have seen the the cage was over on my side of the road.

Secondly, I am an EMT and know what the attitude is.

Third, "I have a feeling you're going to crash very soon".... you don't know me, therefore, don't judge me. Sorry for posting what my day was like, did not know I was going to get flamed.

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 05:00 PM

Got about 15 miles further and got into some tighter turns, went into a right hander and slowly drifted into the opposite lane a bit.. , got her fixed and back in my lane. Not 2 seconds later a cage came from the other way, that was a little too close.

You're an irresponible rider who practices hi performance riding on the street. You're obviously trying to ride way above your head. Not only are you putting yourself at risk, but other riders and drivers on the road. Honestly, that's all I really need to know about you. I don't care to find out any more. Why wouldn't you practice on the track? Get your racing license...something. A CCS racing license is really easy to get, and your skill will improve a hell of a lot more than trying the things that are discussed in the DVD on the STREET of all places. Anyway, enjoy your "rides", squid.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Resident Smart Ass!

Exclamation Yeah, that's it....

You know, there are so many comments yet so little time. So I am going to leave it at this....

You don't know me, I don't know you.... let's keep it that way and end at that.

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 05:45 PM

Re: Yeah, that's it....

Quote:
Originally posted by Jester
You know, there are so many comments yet so little time. So I am going to leave it at this....

You don't know me, I don't know you.... let's keep it that way and end at that.
....good answer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode