Glasses - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Glasses

Well I picked up my AC-10 today ( feels great) but I cant believe I didnt think of this before. I NEED glasses to see distance. I tried to fit them on with the helmet on and no luck and also tried slipping the helmet on over the glasses again with no luck.

I don't have contacts but I guess I should seriously consider getting them. Anyone else with this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 08:52 PM

Thumbs down Double vision

Yea I have the same problem. But luckily, when I went to buy my first helmet I was wearing glasses so I already knew that if the helmet wouldn't fit with glasses then no way. I own 3 Arai Rx-7RR4's, 1 Suomy Gunwind, and 1 Shoei RF900. They all fit great but the two best are the Suomy and Shoei... Suomy just ahead of the Shoei by a nose. My glasses are Oakley's and Serengeti frames and the Oakley fit smoothly in the Suomy's, average in the Shoei and Arai's. The Serengeti's are thing framed so they fit any of them. I also wear contacts of course but even with the face shield on full close, locked, my contacts still start drying out. Nothing that kills but just enough to irritate. Good luck!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 09:43 PM

Glasses can be tough. Mine have thin frames and I can barely slip them on once the helmet (Shoie) is on. However, they don't sit exactly where they should on my face and the distortion gets really bad when turning my head to look behind. Since I'm not required to wear glasses to drive (yet), I finally started riding without glasses and find it much better.

I've heard horror stories about contacts and wind inside a helmet. In addition to drying out your eyes, some folks have had their contacts turned around by the wind and couldn't see.

Try again very patiently to put your glasses on with the helmet. It took me several tries to get them on the first time. Although with an Arai I couldn't ever get them on. If that fails and you need glasses to ride, consider getting new glasses whose frames are small and fit as close as possible to your face. You might even consider those small sport goggle-like glasses with your prescription. Take your helmet to the optometrist to try on frames.

Alternately, you might see if another helmet fits better with your glasses. It's all a compromise.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 12:46 AM

Ya...I hear ya on the glasses. I hate having to wear them, but after awhile it just became second nature to put them on and take them off when i put on my helmet. I cant stand it when on a hot day you sweat just enough that your glasses slide down and if you are in a tucked position it makes for a shity ride cause you are constantly trying to get your head in the right position just so you can see. Best of luck to ya

there's hope in the words and emotion in the eyes
it's so easy to be misled by the savvy gentle guise
and like fools we trust the delivery
but it's all just drunk sincerity
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 06:42 AM

I've got an HJC Sy-Max helmet and the whole front of the helmet can be raised, as well as the visor. It makes glasses a breeze. I've seen other helmets of similar design, it may be something you want to check out. I don't even have to take my glasses off to put on the helmet, simply open it, slip it on, and close the front.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 08:04 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
i wear glasses, and here's somethings i found.

loose helmets are easier to fit glasses into, but aren't as safe. please loose helmet bounce more and make you see out of the wrong part of your glasses.

glasses with thick ear pieces work better (no bending).

ti frames and flexible frames are best. the others bend and you end up with glasses that are always crooked.

be patient when putting them in a $5 pair of kmart sunglasses to get the trick down will help.

and never put a helmet on or take one off with your glasses still on your face. if you can do it, your helmet is TOO loose.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 08:43 AM

Cool

I had the same problem, I hated when they moved out of place and had my peripheral vision blurred because of the glasses shaped frames.

I bit the bullet and bought contacts and its been great.....It sooo nice, now I can wear sunglasses....

The only problem is have experienced is that contacts dry out alot. So you have to constantly be blinking when riding. When wearing sunglasse, eyejacket (oakely shaped) the airflow inside the helmet doesn't affect the contacts, and they don't dry out as much.

I'll have to find a pair eyejacket (oakely shaped) with clear lenses.....Then I'll be able to ride at night without the drying effects of the wind.

Seems like getting contacts defeated the purpose of getting rid of glasses. Oh well...... I enjoy contacts more than Glasses...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 09:28 AM

Check out a pair of military aviator glasses. They were designed to be put on/taken off while wearing your flight helmet. Most civilian eyewear places have them. I always wear mine while riding and have never had a problem with getting them on/off. My current lids are a HJC CL-12 & Arai Signet.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 09:53 AM

I use AFX lid and have no problems with my wire framed glasses. Of course I cannot put the helmet on or take it off while wearing the glasses. I also use contact lenses and have never had a problem. I think a lot has to do with helmet style. Give contacts a try, perhaps disposables because then you can always keep an extra set with you.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 11:56 AM

Ben wearing glasses wth my helmets---

---ever since it became compulsory in '86.
In dirt I had to support them with the usual flex strap a basketball player would use ---- due to open face helmet for dirt.
On the hwy with Bell, AGV & some others PLUS Shoei for past 15 + yrs I have had NO PROBLEMS & I wear byfocals!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode