Problems with 998 kit - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Problems with 998 kit

Need advice as what to look at. Had my bike dyno'd at 140 with a dynojet jet kit and 134 with a factory 1.7.
Im falling off as if the red line is at 9500 as you can see on the graph. I have switched mains from way lean to way rich and the only thing that changed was the A/F ratio. ( and 1 -2 HP) It's been 13.1 to currently 12.5. I also have the Muzzy adjustable advancer, I moved from +4 to -1 and made no change. Im at a real loss and need help.
We did a compression ck yesterday and Im running #1 242 #2 240 #3 240 #4 232. The guy didn't have the formula to calculate compression but he was sure it was 13 to 1 as advertised.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

heres the dyno
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 06:28 PM

Shannon:

Who told you the bike was lean at 13.1? Ideal Stoichiometry is supposed to be at 14:7.
The only way I've ever found to do a mixture check other than sniffing the smoke pipes is to install a new set of plugs, run it through the gears wide open. Shut it off with no idling, and pull the plugs. Then read them.
With a carburated bike you can't get an accurate picture of the mixture ratio unless it's up on the mains, at WOT. The dyno guys should have a sniffer going while your bike is running on it.
Why did you jump from what you say is really lean jetting to really rich jetting? In drag racing cars anyway Holley recommends coming up two jet sizes per jet change until you get too rich then go down until it makes the most power.
I would also recommend just changing one thing at a time. Do the jets and get them squared away, then play with the timing but not at the same time.
Maybe you've done all of this, but it all comes back to doing the basics when one gets lost, and believe me, I've been there.

Silverbird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode