Crazy question about top speed bikes. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Red face Crazy question about top speed bikes.

Does anyone have experience or know where to read about any of the superbikes (busa, zx-12 etc) at extreamly high speeds? Like over 200mph? Just wondering which bike has the best aerodynamics/stability at high speeds. I have this crazy dream of going over 200mph someday and am wondering what bike is going to be the best for it.

Of course It'll probably never happen but it makes for good discussion right? And of course I still need to get a few more years of experience under my belt before I even dream of buying a bike like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 03:54 PM

Talking

I think the air force makes some good ones, try the F-18 ;]
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 04:13 PM

top speed

I've read mixed reviews between the Hayabusa and Kawasaki 12r. To my knowledge the Hayabusa is the fastest high speed machine, but alot of kawasaki owners thing different.

Fastest ive been is 155mph

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 05:04 PM

Unless I am wrong or things have changed from last yr I think all said bikes can do around 179mph.
Believe Germany put it out to the m/c makers to make that their max speed was no higher then 179MPH (possibly it was 197), otherwise they would do it from their end. Seems the Big Four in Japan stuck to said max speed.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 07:49 PM

They limited them to 300 kph/186 mph. The latest mag I saw put the 12R at 186 and the Busa at "only" 184 mph. I also saw a mag that put the Busa as a speed record holder at 221 mph I believe it was in some type of class, not sure what though.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 08:00 PM

I saw a video of a guy in the red at 220 on a busa. I would luv to say i've been that fast but i'd prolly sh*t my pants....
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 12:25 AM

Re: Crazy question about top speed bikes.

Quote:
Originally posted by krsteen
Does anyone have experience or know where to read about any of the superbikes (busa, zx-12 etc) at extreamly high speeds? Like over 200mph? Just wondering which bike has the best aerodynamics/stability at high speeds. I have this crazy dream of going over 200mph someday and am wondering what bike is going to be the best for it.

Of course It'll probably never happen but it makes for good discussion right? And of course I still need to get a few more years of experience under my belt before I even dream of buying a bike like that.
Check out the new issue of Sportrider. They put a turbo on a Busa, changed gearing and got 203mph on Honda's test circuit. The bike was left stock except for those 2 changes. Add about 4 grand or so to the price of a Busa and you'll get to 200mph. If I remember correctly, the bike was dynoed at 200hp.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 05:58 AM

Turbo Busa

That bike had like 228hp. That's crazy! Something like 120 ft-lb of torque. I'd be afraid of that thing.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 06:00 AM

I saw a program awhile back about bike aerodynamics. The Busa is BY FAR the most aerodynamic.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cmd954
I think the air force makes some good ones, try the F-18 ;]

F-18 is NAVY but nice try.

BOT, i'd go with the busa for the bigger screen and body work (at least it seems bigger). Better protection at speed from the serious wind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode