flat-lander bites it at Deal's Gap - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

flat-lander bites it at Deal's Gap

Another young man died at Deal's Gap over the weekend. He was 24 years old and from FL riding an R6. Went off the side of the mountain and apparently hit a tree about 50ft down. This is information paraphrased from a TN newspaper article. It is a damn shame to lose another young(fairly) rider.

Just a bit of advice for the people that don't live near alot of serious curves such as are in the mountains, take it easy until you get accustom to the surroundings. Almost every group of guys from FL, KS, OH(flat stuff), OK, etc. has at least one member go down in just one weekend's riding in the Deal's Gap region. They usually aren't pushing as hard as they think but yet they still react as if they are over their heads.

There of course are alot of riders from those areas that ride very well but the vast majority of them get in over there heads and tear up their bikes.

I don't know the details of the accident and I'm not trying to slam any riders from anywhere but just suggesting that people take a slow controlled approach when first riding Deal's Gap. I have yet to find a more intense set(meaning so many tight curves in such a short distance) of curves within the US.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 07:14 AM
Honda Moderator

John I concur with your words of advice & encourage you to check out the Pig Trail in Arkansas as well as State Hwy 123.

123 is vicious with about 5 sets of 10mph marked hairpins that drop 2 stories in elevation while the rest of the route is perfectly flat 25-35mph turns on newly paved roads around a mountain edge. You can leave some serious skid marks in your shorts on many of the Northeastern Arkansas roads.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Duckhunter
John I concur with your words of advice & encourage you to check out the Pig Trail in Arkansas as well as State Hwy 123.

123 is vicious with about 5 sets of 10mph marked hairpins that drop 2 stories in elevation while the rest of the route is perfectly flat 25-35mph turns on newly paved roads around a mountain edge. You can leave some serious skid marks in your shorts on many of the Northeastern Arkansas roads.
I am going home to AR this fall to watch the nephews play football and I believe I will be forced to do some riding while I'm there. My inlaws have been there plenty on the 'Wing.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 07:57 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
Re: flat-lander bites it at Deal's Gap

Quote:
Originally posted by RCjohn
Just a bit of advice for the people that don't live near alot of serious curves such as are in the mountains, take it easy until you get accustom to the surroundings. Almost every group of guys from FL, KS, OH(flat stuff), OK, etc. has at least one member go down in just one weekend's riding in the Deal's Gap region. They usually aren't pushing as hard as they think but yet they still react as if they are over their heads.
actually this is a good idea for any set of twisties no matter where you're from....

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 08:59 AM

Riders unfamiliar with mountain roads in the SE unfortunately feel pressured by their buddies or more experianced riders familiar with the roads, especially at Deal's Gap. I believe Deal's Gap is not a good choice to bring a green rider unless they have experianced riders to help them learn the ropes. Not a good place to learn about decreasing radius turns for the first time. Where in FL would someone see a downhill decreasing radius turn anyhow? The key to survival is to go slow and smooth until learning the road and start to improve efficiency. The key to speed is being smooth and not wasting any time. Start slow, be very smooth and work on saving time. Trying to go fast, especially for the first time though a section of unfamilar road is the perfect way to go slow, or maybe not make it home at all.

Steve Sallberg
Anderson, SC
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 11:09 AM

Downhill decreasing radius? Onramps and off ramps! Where else?

Sounds like John is trying to start another "We (NC/TN/VA/GA) are better riders than you (FL/OH/etc)" thread.

BTW, John. I was just thinking today of the pirate from Lakeland, FL. we saw last year. I was scared just watching him cruise.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by funksouljon
Sounds like John is trying to start another "We (NC/TN/VA/GA) are better riders than you (FL/OH/etc)" thread.

That is just what I was thinking but not what I was typing.

I guess I wasn't stealthy enough but you are one of the FL riders that can handle it.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 04:13 PM

I figured it was one of those "pointed" threads. <g>
I was talking to a guy today at a bike shop about the Gap. That I was thinking of going up next month etc etc. He says something about it being dangerous etc.
I basically told him if riders would ride within thier limits, and not be pressured by egos to keep up, many wrecks would not happen.
Squids from "flat-land" states don't really understand what a real road is supposed to look like. I mean, I remember how intimidated I was for the first day or so. Really is an eye-opener when a POS Superchicken takes off away from you and you think you are riding fast as hell. By you I mean me! <g>
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by funksouljon
Really is an eye-opener when a POS Superchicken takes off away from you and you think you are riding fast as hell. By you I mean me! <g>
Ridden by a flatlander if I remember correctly.

Aye, I remember the priate well. I followed him for way too long. He sure knew the straight way through those corners.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 07:30 AM
bob

Flatlander or not, I was there last Friday for the first time. I'm from Va originally and we have what I thought (and still think) some awesome twisties. Nothing I have been on compares to Deal's Gap, and that was after a week riding all around the Smokies. I had a blast, but I would encourage everyone to ride below their limit on that road. Also, if you plan on riding quickly, don't start your ride 1 minute after some guy on a sportster or gold wing - you'll just be crawling up his a** making him nervous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode