scared away - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

scared away

first, as i've posted in other threads, when i decided several months ago to get myself a bike (after dreaming of one since i was probably 4 years old), i didn't feel like taking the MSF course for no reason other then the times it was offered, i've read almost every book i can find, and i've even talked (and ridden with) the guys that teach the MSF course here, i guess maybe that counts as private lessons, anyway - i'm not an idiot, and i don't do stupid things... the first thing i did was take the bike to a parking lot every day, for several hours a day, and make absolutely sure i knew how to handle everything, i hadn't had any problems (this was on the 954), now the dad makes me get an older bike, which is cool, i actually like the 95 900rr better, so i miss putting my foot down quick enough the other day, bike isn't completely stopped, i stumble a few times, and the bike tips over, scratches the crank case cover a little, no big deal - didn't even think much of it, picked it up, babied my pinky finger (it hurt), and got back on the bike - but now i find myself constantly nervous every time i start to slow down, and even worse - take off's are a B!TCH now, everytime i put it in first and start to accelerate it feels like reaching your hand in the cookie jar before dinner and that feeling in your back that your mom is about to strike you down with the force of god, ever happen to anyone?... maybe i need to go back to the parking lot and have at it again.. i don't really know, any ideas? (besides taking the MSF course, that won't be offered again until next year)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 12:11 PM

whem i very first bought my bike i had it parked and had the strearing head lock on and i forgot about it. i was getting my bike inspected at the time and i had to move it. So i think we know how this story goes. None the less it went over and scared the ever living crap out of me. It scratched the side alil bit and it cut the back of my leg not too bad but it hurt. I was scared crap less from there on. It took a while for me to get respect for my bike and not too be scared of it. I sat there in my garage looking at my bike and all i was thinking was maybye i should sell it and buy a cage cause these things are really dangerous, but then i thought about why i bought my bike how much i love riding and how in such a short time this became a part of my life that i would never want too give up. Just give it time and take it easy the first few weeks are scary to get back on and go but if you love riding as much as i do this is only a small step in your way and a very easy one to get over. I think just about every one here has had some problem when they first started some more serious than others. Just pick your self up by the boot straps and get back on slowly but surely is the answer. If all else fails just ride your bike up and down your street till you become more comfortable on your bike. Dont get down on your self and ride safe

later...
Ron

there's hope in the words and emotion in the eyes
it's so easy to be misled by the savvy gentle guise
and like fools we trust the delivery
but it's all just drunk sincerity
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 12:19 PM

from the sound of it the MSF would help, but ultimately it's your self confidence. Assuming that you want to ride and are not doing because it seemed like a good idea at the time, then get back into the parking lot and practice. You used to be able take off smoothly, so you can do it again. Believe in yourself, don't let things grow out of all proportion, it isn't rocket science. You need to regain your coordination and your confidence. Just do it!

Good luck.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 12:22 PM
UFO

The best thing to do (once you have the basics down) is to GET OUT OF TOWN and get the bike one some backroads. Learning to ride in town is the most unsafe thing you can do IMO. No better way to learn than to go riding...just take an experienced person with you.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by UFO
The best thing to do (once you have the basics down) is to GET OUT OF TOWN and get the bike one some backroads. Learning to ride in town is the most unsafe thing you can do IMO. No better way to learn than to go riding...just take an experienced person with you.

the parking lot i'm talking about is the size of texas, and outside of an abandoned building, i'm not talking about riding around in a parking lot with soccer mom's and 6 y/o's running around, and i just don't get it.. now every single take off i have is rough... i can't decide whether to try to start with one foot up or leave both feet down until i get a good roll going, and it always seems like i can't get a smooth roll going now either, i go from a stop to 30mph, it's just weird now (maybe it was the same before but now i'm scared of it), and now even today i'm noticing i'm freaking about alot of little stuff, like with stopping i'm having the feet thing too, can't decide whether to let the bike come to a complete stop and then put my feet down, or put my foot down right befoer it stops.. jesus, what's up with me?.. am i going schizophrenic?.. wait who said that.. anyway.. like i was laying in bed trying to sleep and all i could think about was freaking about parking at this girl jenna's house, she has a hill of a driveway, and i kept freaking about how my bike was going to roll down it after i parked, when i know all i have to do is angle it, or duh - drive all the way to the top of it.. anyway... am i just being paranoid now because i've made a stupid mistake?... or am i freaking about legitimate things?
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 03:03 PM

Would you just relax!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by cmd954

the parking lot i'm talking about is the size of texas, and outside of an abandoned building, i'm not talking about riding around in a parking lot with soccer mom's and 6 y/o's running around, and i just don't get it.. now every single take off i have is rough... i can't decide whether to try to start with one foot up or leave both feet down until i get a good roll going, and it always seems like i can't get a smooth roll going now either, i go from a stop to 30mph, it's just weird now (maybe it was the same before but now i'm scared of it), and now even today i'm noticing i'm freaking about alot of little stuff, like with stopping i'm having the feet thing too, can't decide whether to let the bike come to a complete stop and then put my feet down, or put my foot down right befoer it stops.. jesus, what's up with me?.. am i going schizophrenic?.. wait who said that.. anyway.. like i was laying in bed trying to sleep and all i could think about was freaking about parking at this girl jenna's house, she has a hill of a driveway, and i kept freaking about how my bike was going to roll down it after i parked, when i know all i have to do is angle it, or duh - drive all the way to the top of it.. anyway... am i just being paranoid now because i've made a stupid mistake?... or am i freaking about legitimate things?
You have to calm down and quit being so hard on yourself. I don't know you from Adam, but you seem to have a lot of anxieties, and you are blowing this thing way out of proportion. There is not a motorcyclist that I know...several hundred...who has been able to purchase his first bike at age 2 and ride for 30 something years without ever...ever...ever making a mistake! You are human just like the rest of us, and will have to learn some lessons the hard way. Do not let fear prevent you from doing what you enjoy. Practice every chance you get and do not be afraid of failure. More importantly, if you do not relax then your chances of dropping the bike and hurting yourself are even greater. Motorcycles react to every single bit of input you give them. Tense muscles, white knuckle grip on the handle bars, squeezing a dent into the gas tank with your knees, tense elbows, and joints all prevent the fluid motion necessary to control a bike properly. Take the MSF course, practice every chance you get, find a role model..someone with a lot of riding time, and above all relax...if you find yourself exhausted, aching, and frowning then you are missing the whole point of riding.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Re: Would you just relax!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by maley2000

You have to calm down and quit being so hard on yourself. I don't know you from Adam, but you seem to have a lot of anxieties, and you are blowing this thing way out of proportion. There is not a motorcyclist that I know...several hundred...who has been able to purchase his first bike at age 2 and ride for 30 something years without ever...ever...ever making a mistake! You are human just like the rest of us, and will have to learn some lessons the hard way. Do not let fear prevent you from doing what you enjoy. Practice every chance you get and do not be afraid of failure. More importantly, if you do not relax then your chances of dropping the bike and hurting yourself are even greater. Motorcycles react to every single bit of input you give them. Tense muscles, white knuckle grip on the handle bars, squeezing a dent into the gas tank with your knees, tense elbows, and joints all prevent the fluid motion necessary to control a bike properly. Take the MSF course, practice every chance you get, find a role model..someone with a lot of riding time, and above all relax...if you find yourself exhausted, aching, and frowning then you are missing the whole point of riding.
i know what you mean and that's part of the reason i don't see what the problem is, riding is my DREAM (seriously), and i was in LOVE with it before it ever even happened, i scrape the bike by accident and now i'm having a miserable time, what happened?.. i just didn't know if anyone else has ever scared themselves out of a good time..
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 03:28 PM

I know what you're going through. June 30th I totaled by 02 600F4i as a result of riding a little to fast and lots of construction sand on a curve in the road. No injuries other than a slight wrist twist.

July 31st I had a near miss with a driver of a car who wanted to get through a red before me and cut me off, causing me to dump my new 02 CBR954RR. Bike landed on my angle and I'm limping around looking at the bike in the garage with the damage parts removed waiting for replacements.

After the first incident, I was a little scared to get back on. I did. After all, I'm doing something I love and I figured next time I just have to be more careful.

This incident, after getting the bike home and throwing all my gear around because I was pissed about the guy running me off the road and not stopping, I told myself I wouldn't ride again. Just fix it and sell it.

That lasted only a few moments. I will ride again. I just love it too much, and why should I quit because of someone else's decision (even though if the wife had it her way, I would never have a bike in the first place -- she's still not talking to me because I refuse to quit).

Sure, I'll probably be hesitant when I get back on, but I know it will pass. Just keep in mind that if you're constantly thinking about the bad, it will probably happen. Just get back on the "horse" and ride it. Don't question yourself because if you do, you're better off not getting back on. If you're having problems, such as you are when getting started, relax, think about it and smooth it out.

It might just be that the "injury" you have is thinking about how your new motorcycle got a scratch. That first scratch is hard to deal with and you try to do everything humanly possible to keep it from happening again. Tell me, does that new car you bought way back whenever have a perfect body today? Same thing. Different Mindset, that's all.

Best of luck and I do hope you're able to keep riding after all this.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 03:29 PM

Re: Re: Would you just relax!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by cmd954

i know what you mean and that's part of the reason i don't see what the problem is, riding is my DREAM (seriously), and i was in LOVE with it before it ever even happened, i scrape the bike by accident and now i'm having a miserable time, what happened?.. i just didn't know if anyone else has ever scared themselves out of a good time..
I have been involved in two serious bike accidents. I have over 20 broken bones, numerous spraines, road rash, surgical scars, seperated joints etc...etc...etc, and I still ride. I have "Flash backs" from time to time and even when I ride. I have to tell myself that this is just a fear and overide the whole thought process in my head before it starts to interfere with my performance. The more often you confront your demons, and replace fear with knowledge and experience...then the more often you will see them fade away. Great riders are not born..they are made from years of trial and error, schooling, and road/track time.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by saphelps

It might just be that the "injury" you have is thinking about how your new motorcycle got a scratch. That first scratch is hard to deal with and you try to do everything humanly possible to keep it from happening again. Tell me, does that new car you bought way back whenever have a perfect body today? Same thing. Different Mindset, that's all.
The thing i don't get is why i'm worrying about it in the first place, sure - it's scratched, sucks but whatever, i don't really care (i don't particularly want it to happen again, but i'm not killing kittens over it), and you're right - in retrospect, when i first got my car you didn't touch the steering wheel if you weren't me, and now it's got more scrapes from bottoming out and slamming on brakes, jesus.. that's a whole story on it's own (let's not even talk about throwing undercarriage lights out from under the car from sharp turns and body roll).. anyway.. i don't see why i'm scared of my bike now, i'm not scared to die (no really, i'm not.. at all), so it's not really physical injury i'm scared of.. i think i'm just scared of not being able to do it, even though i know i can... i get the same feeling everytime i get on my bike that i do when i see a girl that's so hot that i can't even get up the nuts to go and say hi to her, it makes me angry... heh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode