one light or 2 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
View Poll Results: which style
stock, one big headlight 9 40.91%
custom, 2 smaller headlights side by side 13 59.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 05:17 AM Thread Starter

one light or 2

hey guys, my cb750ss is back together and doing fine all thats left is to paint the fender and get a new headlight, this is where you guys come in, I was thinking should I just stick with the stock look and go with one light for go with a custom deal and put 2 lights on it like the buell or the speed triple. after I will be adding one of those little fly screens, what do you think guys? and other ideas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 10:34 AM

It is possible to overload your charging system with lights, just be careful that whatever you select can be accommodated or you will always be running your battery down. The electrical systems on bikes are finely balanced and accessories or jumped up lights cause problems.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

any idea how much power the original type 2 car headlight sucks out, and how much to a pair of 3 1/2 in fog lights take??

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 11:39 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about the two headlights sucking too much power. Do find out what the output of your alternator is(GAWD it may be a generator from back then) and keep the power draw of the lights under 75% of that figure. I'd guess you won't have any problem staying well under that figure. The other stuff like small lights and ignition won't draw too much so 25% left to them will be adequate.

However, the closer you get to drawing the full output of the charging system the more drain on the battery when it's not at full charging RPM ie if you come close to 100% don't sit at an idle too long.

Bottom line, I doubt you'll overpower the charging system unless you hang HUGE lights on the bike.

As to the original question, 2 small lights but you'll have to be careful and make the bike radical enough to look good with the 2-light set up but not too radical since you're starting with a vintage look. Might be a hard ballance to strike but if you get it right it'll be one cool bike.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 08:45 PM

I've always liked the looks of the old CBs. I think the stocker would look best.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

I like the looks of my bike to, I just wanted to add a flyscreen, but after the wreck I can't seem to find a cheap replacement headlight. I can get the foglights from walmart for like $15-25, and all I need it a bit of metal strapping or something right?

my bike has not been riden much and I flooded the engine a day ago and ran down the battery, go it started again, my question is how long do I have to ride for the battery to be charged up again?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

well boys the dream is dead, I bought the fog lights put it all together went downstairs to put it on, but when I took the old light aparrt I found there are like 7 weather pack connectors and a few yards of wiring hidden inside the light housing, with the 2 small lights I got there is no way to hide it and it looked bad, so I'm just going to look for a used headlight and replace it. thanks for the input guys, but its to much of a task.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode