Stupid Move - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Stupid Move

Well, I did a real boneheaded thing today that could have gotten me killed. I was riding home from work on my usual route when I came up on a slower moving truck. The road is out through the country with little traffic and I was running about 70. I came up behind the truck, slowed slightly until I got past a side road and the passing zone opened up, then I went to pass. I hit my signal, glanced in the mirror and moved over all in about the same motion. Unfortunately, a car had come up behind me that I totally missed seeing. I guess he decided to pass both me and the truck before I made my move. I saw it just as the front fender came abreast of me when I was moving into the other lane. For a second or two I was trapped between the two vehicles. Fortunately, I nailed the throttle and squirted out ahead. It was dumb luck that I saw the car when I did. Had he been a little farther up, I could have easily run right into the side of him. What did I learn? PAY ATTENTION!! I run that road so often I failed to keep a good enough watch behind me. Riding is no place for daydreaming. Be vigilant people, I very nearly payed a big price for inattention.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 08:36 PM

Good suggestion!!! That is one of the things I learned early on...don't be complacent, and monotny will kill you!!! If this is a road you take to or from work everyday...find another route and take that every once in a while...just so you don't become complacent!!! Glad you were ok enough to get out of there!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 09:54 PM

Most accidents happen close to home!

Glad you are O.K. Getting into a rut is a sure way to get hurt on a motorcycle. The highway traffic safety commission states that the majority of accidents happen very close to home because people start taking things for granted in familiar territory. Ride safe and I am glad you didn't have to pay a lot for that riding lesson.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 05:00 PM

SHOULER CHECK ---- SHOULDER CHECK

Do NOT count on your mirrors ONLY for there are blind spots from cages & blind sports while riding m/cs. You simply forgot to do a sensible 'shoulder check'. Come to think of it ------ is this not taught when one takes an MSF course or how di you obtain you m/c license?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 05:26 PM

Re: SHOULER CHECK ---- SHOULDER CHECK

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
You simply forgot to do a sensible 'shoulder check'.
The Brits call it a "life saver"--for obvious reasons.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Re: SHOULER CHECK ---- SHOULDER CHECK

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Do NOT count on your mirrors ONLY for there are blind spots from cages & blind sports while riding m/cs. You simply forgot to do a sensible 'shoulder check'. Come to think of it ------ is this not taught when one takes an MSF course or how di you obtain you m/c license?
You are correct. I was taught better and I know better. I feel I made two mistakes. One was not keeping track of what was behind me and the other was not doing the shoulder check. Its strange too, I'm usually very anal about keeping track of things behind me. You can bet I'll be more alert now!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 01:06 PM

My visor opens when I do this???

I have a somewhat related question here... I do my shoulder checks when changing lanes, but my helmet visor cracks open above 30 mph (Approx. speed.) It is quite annoying and I was wondering if this is normal. I looked over the helmet and don't see anything I should be tightening. Its the HJC SL-III or something like that.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 01:21 PM

No there is something wrong with your helmet --

---& the visor lock-up.
I have been wearing Shoei for past 15 or more yrs & never had a visor open up even at high speeds when doing sensible shoulder checks. Admittely the lst few Shoei helmets one had to lock down the visor, but not so for some 10 plus yrs or more as they corrected that error.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 01:50 PM

Definitely something wrong with the helmet/visor. Call the customer service people at HJC. I have never had that happen on Bell or AGV or AFX.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 02:03 PM

Most HJC's do it. It's normal. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH YOUR HELMET

...you get what you pay for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode