bike wont hold a straight line after accident - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

bike wont hold a straight line after accident

HI,

Well basically i crashed my motorcycle by looping it over. I spent about two weeks getting all the parts needed to make it run(generator cover, gear set, etc..) But after i got it to run i noticed a wobble in ther front wheel, so i took my bike to a mechanic and he told me it was the wheel, so i had that straigthened. After it was straightened the front wheel had no woble when riding or when stoping. But it will not hold a straight line when i let my hands off the bars. And it leans automatically to the right.

My mechanic told me it is probably the triple clamp(s).

But this Rim and Frame straightener guy told me its the frame for sure.

if its the triple clamp it will cost about a $100.00 and if its the frame it will cost around $500.00. So how do i know?

please help,

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 08:09 AM

I would take it to 2 or 3 different bike shops and see what they say. The more diagnostics, the better.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 09:05 AM

Considering you looped it my guess would be that it is the frontend out of whack. Try loosening the pinch bolts, forks, etc. and retighten everything and try it again. Look over the forks very carefully to make certain they aren't bent. It is sometimes very hard to tell with the bodywork on though. If you impacted the front hard enough to bend a wheel then it is likely the forks and/or the triple clamp are bent. Standard forks are not that tough to bend. They would likely bend before the frame did.

I doubt that the frame is bent. It would be tough to bend the frame just by looping the bike over unless it slammed into somehting other than just the ground. It makes sense that a frame guy told you the frame was bent... it is what he does to make money.

Last edited by RCjohn; 08-02-2002 at 09:08 AM.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 09:54 AM

If your somewhat handy, I would recommend you pull the fork tubes, and take them to a frame straightener so he can check them. If you were in arizona, I'd tell you exactly who to go to. When I crashed last year, My bike did the exact same thing. My inner fork tubes were bent. If you bike is upside down forks like mine (I forget now what you ride) then its easy to see if the frame is bent or not just by looking at the forks (when I say looking I mean with a bench clamp and a dialmeter for runout). On my forks the inner tubes were bent, but not the outer tubes. The outer tubes will bend long before the triple clamps, which will bend long before the frame. You can save yourself some money by working your way up. If your inner fork tubes are bent, but not the outers, then thats it. If the outers are bent, check the triples, if the triples are bent, check the frame, if the frame is bent, get it straightened. Good luck!!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 10:15 AM

I don't know how much these people charge..but GMD Computrack advertise frame alignment checking/straightening. If you get Motorcyclist, their ad is on page 82 (in Sep issue) They have a site in LA (310 640 2825). I seem to remember Motorcyclist checking them out and giving them a good write up. It would take out all the guess work and mechanics "opinions".
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SloBrit
I don't know how much these people charge..but GMD Computrack advertise frame alignment checking/straightening. If you get Motorcyclist, their ad is on page 82 (in Sep issue) They have a site in LA (310 640 2825). I seem to remember Motorcyclist checking them out and giving them a good write up. It would take out all the guess work and mechanics "opinions".
The guy that runs the LA GMD is very knowledgable and friendly... nice family too if you care.

Not sure now but in the past it was $80 for them to "take a look" using the scope device. Add about $400 if they have to put it in the straightening device. I believe that price is with you delivering the bike to them with extraneous crap removed. It wouldn't be a bad idea to let them look at the bike if you haven't ever dealt with bent forks or triple clamps.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

The place I was talking about will straighten for $250.00, they just charge another $250.00 to disassemble the bike. I could save $250.00, but I don't have any tools to take the whole bike apart, and probably would screw it up when putting back together. The place is Doctor John's in Anaheim. Very reputable.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

RCJOHN,

i just called and they said it was $150.00 to check out the bike. Do i have to say some magic words to get it for $80.00? These freaking bikes are a ton of money! This accident i had seems to be never ending!

This sucks!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 04:05 PM

So come the woes to the stunters!!!!!!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 04:41 PM

Amen Smitty...

Dude, why are you so convinced its the frame? Money is obviously an object to you, as it is to me. If you slammed the front down so hard that it bent the frame, there is going to be SIGNIFICANT visible damage to the forks. I've seen bikes that cartwheeled for 100 feet or more, tearing off the subframe, and forks, but the frame was still straight. If you can't plainly see that the forks are bent, then I would put money on your frame being fine.

Save yourself a few bucks, and start with the forks and triple clamps.

Dude, its a Kawasaki.. You know why Kawasaki's are so heavy? Cause their freakin' indestructable. Focus on your forks. All you need to drop your fork tubes are some allen wrenches, a socket set, and a steering head stand. Track those things down, and drop the fork tubes!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode