R1, 954, Busa, GSXR? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

R1, 954, Busa, GSXR?

I think I'm finally ready...I've resisted buying a Japanese bike for years. Don't get me wrong, there's no denying that they just plain rock, but I kind of like the idea of having something "different". I love my RSV Mille, but its been in the shop having the clutch replaced for three weeks ("parts backlogged") I haven't owned an inline four since my GS 750 Suzuki in 1980. Most people ask for opinions as to the power delivery of twins....I want to know what the power delivery of a big bore inline is like. I'm leaning towards the R1, but I haven't made up my mind yet. I like the grunt of the V-twin, but the big bore inlines have just as much torque. Is there enough torque down low to make me forget my V twin? BTW, anyone wanna buy or trade?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 11:06 AM
B&S

There is nothing around with the bottom end torque of a 'busa, unless you want to count an 1800 Goldwing. The 'busa makes more torque at 3000 rpm than an R1 does at its peak. And then it just keeps making more til it starts to drop off around 8000 rpm. At 10500 it still makes about as much torque as an R1 at its peak. How's that for a torque curve.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 03:39 PM

R-1: A fine weapon of choice !!!!

Hey there, There are a lot of fine machines out there including the R-1, 954, and GXSR1000 all of which are just plain awesome. The aprilia is a very nice bike also but I hear you with the parts thing. I had a Ducati 748 (2000) and traded it in on a 2000 R-1 and don't regret it at all. The itilian bikes are really beautiful and all but too expensive to maintain. Once I test drove the R-1 I was in love - the thing has massive balls (huge). I let my friend ride my R-1 (he owned a 748 also) and he was floored. It has been 1 month since he rode it and guess what - he has a brand new 2002 R-1 sitting in his garage. I recommend that you test drive the above three to see for yourself. I am partial to the R-1 but all of the above are fine bikes. The busa is more of a sports touring bike. If you want a canyon carver look at the three listed above. I also suggest that you check out a lot of magazines and watch the forums. I belong to an R-1 forum and there are people on there that have put 35,000 to 100,000 miles on the R-1 and don't seem to have any major problems - the kick ass. Check out the attached bike - it is not mine but it is bad ass.
Jim out

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

Just AWESOME!! I love that bike, that's the bike I have my eye on. I'm not into the neon thing or the boy-racer graphics of some of the other bikes...but that silver R1....WOW. I must say, before I saw that bike, I really couldn't find a bike that I could bring myself to give up the Aprilia for. Obviously my decision isn't based solely on how a bike looks, but it helps. I think..once you get to the level of performance we are talking about here...we are splitting hairs...they are all in the same league. So it comes down to esthetics. I think the nod goes to the R1 in my book. My Mille sure is sweet though.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 10:43 AM

Have you given any thought to some of the japanese twins, such as the TL1000R, RC51, or superhawk?

I own a 'Hawk and I love every minute of it. Very reliable, easy to ride, a ton of fun, and now that I have the new D&D pipes, it scares the shit out of people when I pull up to a light (Ok, so I like loud vehicles, so what? haha my first car was a camaro with a 454 big block in it.)

I am biased, because I was raised on american musclecars, so I love big sound. But if you want a bike with a very large usable powerband, you cant go wrong with some of these twins.

James
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

sure, i'm considering the japanese twins also, but i think their days are numbered. with the rule changes in WSB, i think the manufacturers will be phasing them out. just my opinion, but from a performance standpoint, they can't compete with the 4 (and 5!) cylinder machines.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 05:23 PM

Yes their days are numbered, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. They can be had for cheap. And lets be honest. How many STREET riders use the full potential of their bikes. Not many I know could even use the max potential of my puny little hawk...

But again, I am biased because of my loud V8 background. I love the sound.

James
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

I hear ya on that one bro. I modified my exhaust to give me an angry ggggRRRRRRowl. don't get me wrong....i think my mille and your hawk are awesome bikes (like the TL and the RC), but now, faced with the choice of any bike....well, lets say there are a lot to choose from. kinda tough choosing a bike that may no longer be available (or get parts for) in a few years. tough decision...but i hear what your saying.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 06:00 PM

ya know, i am reminded of an incident in some mild (very mild) twisties the other day. I am on my modest hawk, and this dude on a 954 rolls up... revs his engine, and decides he wants to race. Now, I am a dumbass, let me get that straight right off. I ride fast and like it. I know that the odds will eventually catch up. But I don't do it with other people around.

Anyways, this guy decides to race, so I indulged him. Now I am by no means an expert, but with MINIMAL effort I consistantly smoked him through twisties and straights. All the while his puny sounding (I said PUNY SOUNDING, not PUNY) 954 was whining along, and I was staying in 4th the whole time...

What a great bike I have.

James
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

Actually, Fitz, you prove another point. Once your in that ballpark, performance wise, the rider becomes the limiting factor, not the bike. A faster rider will beat a faster bike every time. Had you been on the 954, i suspect you would have had the same results. Like i said before...they are all awesome bikes. I routinely smoke my buddy on his ZX12R. If you just look at stats in the back of magazines, i shouldn't be close to him. But my bike handles better, and I'm faster. ride fast, but ride safe..peace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode